Home Page Cosmetic thoughts

Default Home Page Cosmetic thoughts

Just some thoughts while I wait for the importer to build my database. Most of what I'm going to say is purely cosmetic as I haven't played with the program yet.

Pros

- Excellent import speed!
    - Overall layout is general good
    - Replayer looks fantastic

Cons (The brutal truth ;P)

- The icons look like they could use a bit of work. They all look a bit rubbish except for the HUD one.
    - Can we change the pastel blue background? It just makes me want to puke ;P
    - If you have Win Aero theme, the title bat looks ok. When you use Windows standard theme, the buttons (minimise, max, close) look a little blurry.
    - Consider making the graphs easier to find for tournament players. I looked very briefly under reports and could not see an option to graph.
    - I don't like how the widgets seem very separate and feel disjointed. It also feels like there is a ton of wasted space on my 23" screen.

Thanks for the feedback.

1. Icons probably wont change before public beta.
    2. We'll have a dark theme option soon.
    3. I'll check out the windows standard theme, not sure we can do much about the min/max/close buttons. Pretty sure they are standard controls with the WPF framework HM2 is built on.
    4. We'll probably adjust the default reports for both cash and tourney to include the graphs.
    5. Do you have suggestions on how to make the widgets feel like they are all one?
    6. HM2 is developed with a minimum resolution of 1024x768 in mind. I too have a 23" monitor and I personally don't have any programs maximized when using them. Not sure we can do much here because people with smaller monitors will complain.

Quote Originally Posted by B-Money View Post
    Thanks for the feedback.
    1. Do you have suggestions on how to make the widgets feel like they are all one?
    2. HM2 is developed with a minimum resolution of 1024x768 in mind. I too have a 23" monitor and I personally don't have any programs maximized when using them. Not sure we can do much here because people with smaller monitors will complain.
    Perhaps adding drag and drop functionality and the ability to resize widgets might help with the dead space. Remove the "Add another widget" widget from the top. Rather add a right-click context menu or put it on the right hand side.

I personally don't like the title bar attached to the top of each widget. Try looking at these http://www.google.co.za/imgres?imgur...w=1920&bih=989 They don't all look the same, but I think they all look pretty cool.

Ultimately I think the forced stretching of widgets makes them look ugly when they incorporate the dead space. I'd make them smaller in general, even the graphs. Like the graph in the link above is perfectly fine I think. The point of the home page is to look interesting and stimulating. If I want to see a massive and detailed graph, I'd rather just open up the reports.

Other random stuff .... the "App laucher" widget could be a lot smaller and still offer the same functionality by keeping the icons the same size and adding some big-ass arrows to the left and right to scroll through the apps. Saves space, looks nice and allows for more widgets! +EV for everyone. Edit: -EV for programmers obv!
    Last edited by SuperSized; 07-07-2011 at 07:35 AM.

Adding some other suggestions from a user for the home page:

the sections where you can add a new widget to the page take up a lot more space than is necessary

the 'holdem manager news' widget is now 3 times as wide as there is content to fill it.

remove the unnecessary space various elements take up

also allow the user to dismiss advisories