initializing database takes a long time

Default initializing database takes a long time

I'm running postgres 8.2 on a remote server. When I start up HEM the "initializing database" process takes several minutes to complete. I understand that part of this delay is due to the fact the database is remote, but I was wondering if there was anything could be done to speed up this process? Either on my end or on yours.

And just to be clear, the connection is eventually made and once that happens everything works amazingly well, it's just the initializing process that takes a long time.

thanks

Takes seconds for me but I'm running 8.3 (on Debian)

Are you on the same network when you get the 8 second response?

I'm connecting through a VPN (hamachi) from a different physical location.

Guess I could just sniff the traffic and see exactly what's happening.

I'm usually connecting trough a ssh tunnel since HM seems to not support SSL connections but also direct connections work perfect. The server is remote at a hosting company.

This is going to be tough to overcome because HM loads every player in memory in order to speed up a bunch of other things like Imports and player selection. So if you have a big DB then that is a lot of data being retrieved over the internet connection or network.

Roy

Ah, that explains a lot My DB isn't so big yet but it has to stay remote because I use two computers (my desktop and my laptop) until I find a nice way to sync two postgres databases on windows... (Any tipps are welcome here )

Quote Originally Posted by Rvg72 View Post
    This is going to be tough to overcome because HM loads every player in memory in order to speed up a bunch of other things like Imports and player selection. So if you have a big DB then that is a lot of data being retrieved over the internet connection or network.

Roy
    I know this is a really rare issue but is there anyway for HM hold a local disk cache with this information so it doesn't have to take so long for us remote users?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We welcome any feedback on any solutions we provide, this helps us to provide better quality solutions in the future.