About bluffing

Thread: About bluffing

Default About bluffing

I'd like to know if I'm bluffing to much on the river. So I tried to filter hands where I bet or raised on the river with bottom pair or air.
    It says that I'm losing money and I was thinking about the situation. We can't conclude anything because it counts the initial pot.

I mean :

You are on the river with air. You know Villain will fold 60% to your potsized bet so you bet (and it's EV+).

But, HM will give you that :
    Over 5 times, you win 3 times the pot (net profit by hand : half the pot for the overall hand) and lose 2 times the pot (net profit by hand : -1,5 times the pot).
    Your net profit over those 5 hands will be : 3 * 0.5 + 2 * -1.5 = -1.5

HM will say that you lost money on your bluffs even if it was EV+.
    The problem is that the lost of half of the initial pot is counted in your net profit when it shouldn't because you lose it by checking anyway (if you have air).

It's not a "bug", it's totally normal. But I would know how I can handle this, ie show the profit for those situations without counting the lost for the initial pot.

I hope it's not too confuse

Im afraid theres not an automatic way of doing this, youll need to figure it out yourself although you can add the suggestion here: http://holdemmanager.uservoice.com/pages/general
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We welcome any feedback on any solutions we provide, this helps us to provide better quality solutions in the future.

Here you go. You'll want to put these into a file called "customstats.txt" in the reports folder of HEM.

The first stat is net $, the second one is ROI for every $1 you bluff. The stats only measure bluffs where you have ace high or worse; sometimes when I bet 3rd pair I'm not bluffing!

<Stat GroupName="Default"
    ColumnName="RiverBluffNet$"
    ValueExpressions="sum(case when ph.riverplayeractiontype_id in (23,44) and river.madehandvalue in (0,10,11,30,31,32) and ph.NetAmountWOn < 0 then RIVER.BetAmount else 0 end) as FailedBluffAmountOnRiver;
    sum(case when ph.riverplayeractiontype_id in (23,44) and river.madehandvalue in (0,10,11,30,31,32) and ph.NetAmountWon > 0 then pkh.riverpotsize else 0 end) as WonAmountOnRiverBluff"
    Evaluate="(WonAmountOnRiverBluff-FailedBluffAmountOnRiver)/100.0"
    ColumnHeader="River\nBluff\nEff $"
    ColumnFormat="$0.00"
    ColumnWidth="61"
    Tooltip="Net $ won or lost making river bluffs with ace high or worse on River." />

<Stat GroupName="Default"
    ColumnName="RiverBluffEff"
    ValueExpressions="sum(case when ph.riverplayeractiontype_id in (23,44) and river.madehandvalue in (0,10,11,30,31,32) then RIVER.betAmount else 0 end) as TotalBluffAmountOnRiver;
    sum(case when ph.riverplayeractiontype_id in (23,44) and river.madehandvalue in (0, 10, 11, 30, 31, 32) and ph.NetAmountWon > 0 then pkh.riverpotsize else 0 end) as TotalWonAmountOnRiverBluff;
    sum(case when ph.riverplayeractiontype_id in (23,44) and river.madehandvalue in (0,10,11,30,31,32) and ph.NetAmountWOn < 0 then RIVER.BetAmount else 0 end) as FailedBluffAmountOnRiver"
    Evaluate="((TotalWonAmountOnRiverBluff-FailedBluffAmountOnRiver)/1.0/TotalBluffAmountOnRiver)"
    ColumnHeader="River\nBluff\nEfficiency"
    ColumnFormat="0.00"
    ColumnWidth="61"
    Tooltip="Shows average return per 1$ of river bluffs with ace high or worse." />
    Last edited by creedofhubris; 03-25-2009 at 08:04 PM. Reason: now accounts for bet/folding

I tried to do this, but can't run the report. Tried renaming the file .REPORT as well and it didn't work.

How do I use this report within HM?

it's not a report, it's a stat

hence, you should add that text to the file called CustomStats.txt, which is located in the Reports folder. Just copy and paste the text into that file, then save it. Then you need to shutdown Holdem Manager and restart it. Then you can run any report you wish, click on the plus sign on the left where are the current stats are listed, and choose these new stats from the custom stats section.

If you don't have CustomStats.txt in your Reports folder, right click somewhere in that folder, click new, then text document. Rename the file to CustomStats.txt , and follow instructions above.

Quote Originally Posted by PCP Poker View Post
    it's not a report, it's a stat

hence, you should add that text to the file called CustomStats.txt, which is located in the Reports folder. Just copy and paste the text into that file, then save it. Then you need to shutdown Holdem Manager and restart it. Then you can run any report you wish, click on the plus sign on the left where are the current stats are listed, and choose these new stats from the custom stats section.

If you don't have CustomStats.txt in your Reports folder, right click somewhere in that folder, click new, then text document. Rename the file to CustomStats.txt , and follow instructions above.
    Thanks! Still auditing the trial version before I buy - will try this out.

I copied this text as directed, but only the top stat is showing up in my custom stats view. Is there some syntax for seperating them that I need to add to get it to recognize the one on the bottom?

Not sure why I am seeing one and not the other.

Looking at it, it has the ending /> without the start <. The coding in this forum removes the "< Stat" portion if the < and S are next to each other.

Try < Stat xxxx formula here />

e.g
    < Stat ColumnName="RiverBluffNet$"
    ValueExpressions="sum(case when ph.riverplayeractiontype_id in (23,44) and river.madehandvalue in (0,10,11,30,31,32) and ph.NetAmountWOn < 0 then RIVER.BetAmount else 0 end) as FailedBluffAmountOnRiver;
    sum(case when ph.riverplayeractiontype_id in (23,44) and river.madehandvalue in (0,10,11,30,31,32) and ph.NetAmountWon > 0 then pkh.riverpotsize else 0 end) as WonAmountOnRiverBluff"
    Evaluate="(WonAmountOnRiverBluff-FailedBluffAmountOnRiver)/100.0"
    ColumnHeader="River\nBluff\nEff $"
    ColumnFormat="$0.00"
    ColumnWidth="61"
    Tooltip="Net $ won or lost making river bluffs with ace high or worse on River." />

< Stat ColumnName="RiverBluffEff"
    ValueExpressions="sum(case when ph.riverplayeractiontype_id in (23,44) and river.madehandvalue in (0,10,11,30,31,32) then RIVER.betAmount else 0 end) as TotalBluffAmountOnRiver;
    sum(case when ph.riverplayeractiontype_id in (23,44) and river.madehandvalue in (0, 10, 11, 30, 31, 32) and ph.NetAmountWon > 0 then pkh.riverpotsize else 0 end) as TotalWonAmountOnRiverBluff;
    sum(case when ph.riverplayeractiontype_id in (23,44) and river.madehandvalue in (0,10,11,30,31,32) and ph.NetAmountWOn < 0 then RIVER.BetAmount else 0 end) as FailedBluffAmountOnRiver"
    Evaluate="((TotalWonAmountOnRiverBluff-FailedBluffAmountOnRiver)/1.0/TotalBluffAmountOnRiver)"
    ColumnHeader="River\nBluff\nEfficiency"
    ColumnFormat="0.00"
    ColumnWidth="61"
    Tooltip="Shows average return per 1$ of river bluffs with ace high or worse." />
    Last edited by Sasben; 04-15-2009 at 05:01 PM.

It's works perfectly and it's useful thank you.
    Can we do the same thing with the turn ?? (like change river by turn everytime I see it)

bump