** Losing connection to PostgresSQL database? Post Logs Here. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Import from HEM1 db fails

I'm just trying to get started. When importing my HEM1 database, the import starts OK but after a while fails with a database connection error. This happens repeatedly. Still trying.

I'm running HM on XP in a VirtualBox VM running under Ubuntu. Postgresql runs on the Ubuntu host. This works fine with HM1.

I've attached the logs. log.txt was too large, so I've sent the end of the file.

EDIT: I'll post this here because my configuration is shown above.

I eventually got my HM1 db imported by importing my HHs then doing the db import which probably just consisted of notes etc. and duplicated hands and therefore completed faster. Luckily this completed before losing the PSQL connection.

I then ran Note Caddy on my db which also choked before completing a few times. NC reported that all hands had been processed, but it had actually aborted. I then reset all notes and tried to run NC again, but it still reported that all hands had been processed. I needed to restart HM for NC to start notating from scratch.

Another problem with NC is that, although the option is there to notate hands from the HH rather than the db, this option is, in fact, worthless. The HH archive (HMArchive) is formatted so that folders don't get too large (e.g. 2011->06->03). Unfortunately NC doesn't read subfolders, so to use this function you have to select each day's folder, process it, then repeat the process. You have to make 365 manual imports for every year of archive. Needless to say, I didn't bother. :-)

Once I actually got all hands processed, I couldn't see them anywhere because the Opponents screen didn't show them (reported in another thread) and when I actually try to run HM with a HUD on a poker client, HM2 goes berserk hogging 98% of the processor and over 600 meg of memory! Effectively freezing my whole system.

Now I realize that because of my setup I don't have a lot of resources but HM1 works fluidly and seamlessly on this configuration. Because I'm running XP as a VM, I'm limited in the resources I can allocate. I have 4gb of memory but need 2gb for Ubuntu to run PSQL, so allocate 2gb to HM & FTP on XP. It doesn't seem to be enough. I have a dual-core E5300 2.6gHz processor also split, one processor serves Ubuntu and the other, the XP VM. I know it's a little dated, not state of the art by any means, but I'm sure many people will be wanting to run HM2 on less, and until now it has served all my needs with never any perceptible lags - until I tried running HM2. Over half a gig of memory allocation for a program really does seem to me to be grossly excessive.

Unfortunately I'll have to wait for these problems to be resolved before continuing testing, as my system is totally unusable with HM2 as it stands.

p.s. just spotted a meta-bug. This forum's name.
    Last edited by SteveCut; 06-03-2011 at 02:56 AM.

Steve,

I forwarded your NC comments to the NC developer.

Performance is ongoing and we're starting to look at it hard now. As I type this I've setup a VM to use 1 processor and 2GB of ram. Going to import a big DB and start playing on the VM.

-B

Unsticking thread because I believe the dropping connect issue is resolved.

If you still get a postgres connection drop, please let us know and add any info you can.

-B