HEM shuts down immediately after start up
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default HEM shuts down immediately after start up

I had the postgres problem after latest Windows Defender update. Before the solution was found I tried pretty much everything (reinstalled postgres and HEM, uninstalled antivirus and firewall programs and disabled Windows firewall and defender). At some point my situation took a turn to the worse: After starting HEM I couldn't even see the loading screen or any error message. If I had taskmanager running while I started HEM I could see Holdemmanager.exe appearing and shutting down immediately after that. After I edited my Hosts-file according to the instruction I can now access to postgres again via pgAdmin. However, HEM won't still start. Dbcontrolpanel.exe and HMhud.exe start up normally, but Holdemmanager.exe shuts down immediately after startup.

I have tried every solution that was proposed here (reinstalling .NET, postgres and HEM): http://www.holdemmanager.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=6901

Can't see any HEM related massages in Event Viewer either.

So please, what could I do?

EDIT: My operating system is Windows Vista and I have tried both the latest final version and the latest beta version of HEM.
    Last edited by khufu; 03-10-2009 at 07:32 PM.

Can you reboot your PC.

Then stop the postgreSQL service and reboot your PC and restart the postgreSQL service: http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmmain.aspx?faqid=34

Any change?

Quote Originally Posted by khufu View Post
    I had the postgres problem after latest Windows Defender update. Before the solution was found I tried pretty much everything (reinstalled postgres and HEM, uninstalled antivirus and firewall programs and disabled Windows firewall and defender). At some point my situation took a turn to the worse: After starting HEM I couldn't even see the loading screen or any error message. If I had taskmanager running while I started HEM I could see Holdemmanager.exe appearing and shutting down immediately after that. After I edited my Hosts-file according to the instruction I can now access to postgres again via pgAdmin. However, HEM won't still start. Dbcontrolpanel.exe and HMhud.exe start up normally, but Holdemmanager.exe shuts down immediately after startup.

I have tried every solution that was proposed here (reinstalling .NET, postgres and HEM): http://www.holdemmanager.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=6901

Can't see any HEM related massages in Event Viewer either.

So please, what could I do?
    I would suggest that you make a system restore to like 11am-1pm yesterday first then do all the Host changes and then if it still doesnt work uninstall/reinstall postgre. (after renaming the current postg. folder to postgre..._old)

Tried stopping/restarting the postgreSQL service with reboots as Al1 proposed. Didn't work.

Too bad system restore utility has been disabled in my computer so I don't have any restore points available. Also I have previously tried uninstalling postgreSQL and reinstalling it again in different volume and different directory. That didn't solve the problem either.

Thank you for taking the time to propose some possible solutions. If anyone was any other suggestions I would be eager to hear you out.

Can you reinstall HM, and don't forget step 4):

1) Make a backup of the "Config" folder in a safe location, this folder is in the RVG Software\Holdem Manager\ folder
    2) Export your HUDs via "HUD Options => Player Preferences"
    3) Uninstall HM via the Control Panel
    4) Go to Program Files and delete the RVG Software directory, or the equivalent for Vista
    5) Reboot your computer
    6) Install the complete setup of HM: http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloa...demmanager.zip
    7) Upgrade HM: http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/Hm1.08Beta.exe
    8) Test if it works for a while and if it does proceed to step 9
    9) Overwrite the backuped "holdemmanager.config" file in the new Config directory to recover your settings
    10) Test if it works again for another while and if it does proceed to step 11
    11) Import your HUDs via "HUD Options => Player Preferences"
    12) Test if it works

Followed the instructions that Al1 gave, but still no success. When I got to the step 8 and tried to launch HEM nothing happened. I had also previously tried to "clean" reinstall HEM.

What next?

EDIT: Problem solved! Uninstalling the latest Comodo Internet Security suite did the trick. Strange thing, I had added all the HEM and postregSQL files to the exception list, and Comodo and HEM had previously worked well together.

Thanks for help anyway!
    Last edited by khufu; 03-10-2009 at 08:36 PM.

I'm having the same issue, my CPU went nuts today so I had to force restart twice, first time I got the usual postgres error(which resolved) and a notice that my config folder has been re-installed or something - it went back to default(I had changed the graphs colors, that's how I noticed).

Now when I try to open it my Vista gives me the same error notice. For what it's worth, event viewer shows the error:

"Faulting application HoldemManager.exe, version 1.6.0.0, time stamp 0x00000026, faulting module MSVCR80.dll, version 8.0.50727.1434, time stamp 0x4757746d, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x000278b4, process id 0x110c, application start time 0x01c9a1ef87945e38."

So could you guys please come up with a decent solution instead of spamming how to re-install HM, as it seems, that's not working.

Quote Originally Posted by lenC View Post
    I'm having the same issue, my CPU went nuts today so I had to force restart twice, first time I got the usual postgres error(which resolved) and a notice that my config folder has been re-installed or something - it went back to default(I had changed the graphs colors, that's how I noticed).

Now when I try to open it my Vista gives me the same error notice. For what it's worth, event viewer shows the error:

"Faulting application HoldemManager.exe, version 1.6.0.0, time stamp 0x00000026, faulting module MSVCR80.dll, version 8.0.50727.1434, time stamp 0x4757746d, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x000278b4, process id 0x110c, application start time 0x01c9a1ef87945e38."

So could you guys please come up with a decent solution instead of spamming how to re-install HM, as it seems, that's not working.
    Have you tried to reinstall HM like I have said?
    If yes, can you reinstall postgreSQL, the same version you have: http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/

Ok, I did everything as told(yesterday I didn't reboot), now when I open HM, I get a message: "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\msc orwks.dll could not be loaded", I'm assuming I have to re-install MS.NET framework? Using Vista, and that's not in the add/remove programs place, so do you have any guidelines/links?

Quote Originally Posted by lenC View Post
    Ok, I did everything as told(yesterday I didn't reboot), now when I open HM, I get a message: "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\msc orwks.dll could not be loaded", I'm assuming I have to re-install MS.NET framework? Using Vista, and that's not in the add/remove programs place, so do you have any guidelines/links?
    Yeha, run a windows update, it will correct this issue generally.
    http://208.109.95.123/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=14
    Last edited by Al1; 03-11-2009 at 01:27 PM.