Can't connect to postgreSQL - Page 14
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Delete the postmaster.pid file in C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.2/data and then restart the PostgreSQL servce, if it still dont start tell me what the new error is in event viewer
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We welcome any feedback on any solutions we provide, this helps us to provide better quality solutions in the future.

Thanks morny, I just tried that but the same thing still happens, service started then stopped. I do have a few new error msgs tho.

2009-03-31 20:46:26 WARNING: could not create listen socket for "localhost"
    2009-03-31 20:46:26 FATAL: could not create any TCP/IP sockets
    Timed out waiting for server startup

I tried restoring to a point back last saturday when everything was working perfectly, but I still had the same errors so I restored back up to the current point I'm at. I'm using xp, I don't use defender and the last time the host file was modified was the middle of last month. I tried adding the line in it but it won't let me save it.

[edit]

Just read the post you made yesterday about reinstalling postgres, I'll try that.
    Last edited by guitarizt; 03-31-2009 at 09:06 PM.

Now the services just stays at 'starting'. Here's what's in event viewer:

postgres cannot access the server configuration file "C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.3/data/postgresql.conf": No such file or directory

I just tried uninstalling it and then installing it again and initializing the database cluster, but at the end of the install it's hanging at the starting services part. Could I have a virus/adware or something? This is getting really f'ing annoying and I was gonna talk to a cpa today about taxes but I can't get into hem. =(
    Last edited by guitarizt; 03-31-2009 at 11:07 PM.

17.3.1. Server Start-up Failures
    There are several common reasons the server might fail to start. Check the server's log file, or start it by hand (without redirecting standard output or standard error) and see what error messages appear. Below we explain some of the most common error messages in more detail.

LOG: could not bind IPv4 socket: Address already in use
    HINT: Is another postmaster already running on port 5432? If not, wait a few seconds and retry.
    FATAL: could not create TCP/IP listen socketThis usually means just what it suggests: you tried to start another server on the same port where one is already running. However, if the kernel error message is not Address already in use or some variant of that, there might be a different problem. For example, trying to start a server on a reserved port number might draw something like:
    Ok I finally got it to install after constantly trying to install/uninstall a million times for the past 2 hours, but the service still won't start. I don't know what to do short of installing a new windows directory and starting fresh with everything (which I really don't want to do).

same here.

Connection Error: Connection established timeout. Increase Timeout value in Connection String.

Since April 1st 2009 it does no more connect!

The Solution was:

Update of Spybot S&D and Avira Antivir!

Now everything runs again.
    Last edited by fish; 04-01-2009 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Solution found

I think it's just that windows is a pos. I installed xp to a new directory today and now everything works great again.