2,5 days for importing 2,6 gigabytes?!

Unhappy 2,5 days for importing 2,6 gigabytes?!

hello there,

I' a little bit shocked. I installed the Hold'em Manager Trial Version and started importing my hands an hour ago. It's about 2,6 gigabytes and PokerTracker 3 and PS Elephant need about 130 minutes to do this...Here its said that 2 days and 11 hours are remaining...now 1671 of 101138 files have been imported; 504279 hands imported; hands/s: 132.4/s; duplicate hands: ~ 340k; import errors: 21.

Is this normal that your software needs this much longer?!

btw: my hardware is rather fast
    btw2: how to delete a database? get only create new database by chosing database managment?
    Last edited by wHizard82; 02-21-2009 at 06:34 PM.

You are getting above average import speed. HEM calculates many stats that neither PT3 or PS Elephant calculate during import. Those programs calculate the stats on demand, which takes more time down the line.

Besides, according to the numbers you provided, you are importing over 30 million hands. What do you expect? I don't see any way that either PT3 or PS Elephant can import hands at the speed you indicated. That would be a rate of about 4,000 hands per second. There isn't a CPU that is publicly available that could perform that many operations per cycle.

There also seems to be something really wrong with the hands that you are importing. Getting that many duplicates will significantly reduce the import speed. The fact that a third of your hands are dupes indicates to me that your hh's were not put together in a very thoughtful manner. Maybe you should export a clean batch of HH's from PT3 and then try. I'm sure you will find HEM much faster under those circumstances.

big thanks for that answer! I was wondering about that many duplicates, too...they were in a folder which elephant used to store/save the imported hands...here you have a screenshot of elephant having imported that 2,6 gb (which I used in the pokerstrategy forum, because elephant wasn't able to give an overview and analysis for my data anymore:

as it is in German I'll translate beginning from the left upper small box: files imported, hands imported, errors, duplicates; the lower row: read/s, analyse/s, import/s, passed time.

I'll try to import some pieces of that stored data lateron with HM and am going to report it then.

By the way: Is it a problem not to change the encoding values during postgresql installation? the guide here says one should chose sql_ascii, but I haven't changed anything expect of the password...I just installed it for PS Elephant and not thinking about any use of HEM. What differences does it make not having changed these both values?
    Last edited by wHizard82; 02-22-2009 at 10:02 AM.

Now, all my hands are imported. I used a smaller backup folder. :-) thanks for giving me that idea.