Failed to establish a connection to '127.0.0.1' - Page 13
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Quote Originally Posted by TallguyUK View Post
    I have been using HEm for 3 months fine and then in the last week I have had the following error:

"The following error occurred when trying to open the database. Failed to establish a connection to '127.0.0.1'

I click OK, then the database control panel opens. I click on connect and it says:
    "A connection to PostgreSQL could not be made. Would you like to have Holdem Manager attempt to start the service?"

I click on Yes and it says "Holdem Manager has started the service. Please try again."

I click OK and the Connect and it says the connection could not be made.

I have followed instructions and disabled UAC as well as reinstalled postegresql 8.3 all to no avail as well as setting the 3 exe files for HEM as administrator.

Help please.
    This thread is very old. I don't want to try to apply out of date advice to fix my problem. My problem is the same as the original poster.

Hold Em Manager The following error occurred when trying to open the database: Failed to establish a connection to '127.0.0.1'

Please advise on the fastest and simplest solution. Preferably one that does not involve reimporting all of my hands. Thank you in advance.

Those are the usual fixes:

1. reboot your computer and try again

2. delete the hidden file postmaster.pid in the postgresql data folder, reboot and try again.

3. check our FAQ: FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Can't Connect / Failed to Start PostgreSQL

Quote Originally Posted by netsrak View Post
    Those are the usual fixes:

1. reboot your computer and try again

2. delete the hidden file postmaster.pid in the postgresql data folder, reboot and try again.

3. check our FAQ: FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Can't Connect / Failed to Start PostgreSQL

I like my HEM fixes the same as I like my women. Quick and easy. Thank you netsrak.

Quote Originally Posted by morny View Post
    Heres the full list of solutions i know of, try whichever ones are applicable

This is usually a firewall or windows update issue.

First try to reboot.

If no help, try this:

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL > 8.x > Stop Service

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL > 8.x > Start Service

If that doesnt help delete the \postgresql\8.x\data\postmaster.pid file, if you see it.

Add exceptions to the windows firewall, even if it is off. If you have a 3rd party firewall, do the equivalent or uninstall it temporarily - FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Windows Firewall / Defender Problems - Windows Firewall / Defender Problems

Please try following these FAQs, step by step:

1) FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Can't Connect / Failed to Start PostgreSQL Can't Connect / Failed to Start PostgreSQL
    2) reinstall the same version of postgresql, using the same \data folder - FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Reinstall PostgreSQL Preserving Old Database PostgreSQL Preserving Old Database
    3) Still Can't Connect to PosgreSQL? Try This! - Holdem Manager Forums

If that doesn't help you will probably have to reinstall PostgreSQL completely and reimport your hands using these instructions

1) Uninstall PostgreSQL from the Windows Control Panel.
    2) Use our combo installer to reinstall PostgreSQL. Make sure you un-check Holdem Manager during installation. http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloa...ager_Setup.exe

If that installer fails to install PostgreSQL, please reinstall PostgreSQL using the following instructions:
    A) Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt > Right-Click > Run As Administrator
    PHP Code:
    net user postgres /delete 
    B) Reboot.
    C) Try installing this version of PostgreSQL - http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloa...3.9-v1.0.7.exe
    Hi, I am having problems opening HEM due to logon issues with postgres. I have followed this thread and your post up to link #3 (Still Can't Connect to PosgreSQL? Try This!) but the links to FAQ171, 176 and 177 are not working. Can you help?

We changed our faqs site:

New canned response for SQL connection issues:

FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Can't Connect / Failed to Start PostgreSQL

First try to reboot.

If no help, try this:

If that doesnt help delete the \postgresql\8.x\data\postmaster.pid file, if you see it.

Add exceptions to the windows firewall, even if it is off. If you have a 3rd party firewall, do the equivalent or uninstall it temporarily - FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Windows Firewall / Defender Problems

1) FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Can't Connect / Failed to Start PostgreSQL
    2) reinstall the same version of postgresql, using the same \data folder - FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Reinstall PostgreSQL Preserving Old Database

If that doesn't help you will probably have to reinstall PostgreSQL completely and reimport your hands using these instructions

2) Use our combo installer to reinstall PostgreSQL. Make sure you un-check Holdem Manager during installation. http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloa...ager_Setup.exe

If that installer fails to install PostgreSQL, please reinstall PostgreSQL using the following instructions:
    A) Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt > Right-Click > Run As Administrator
    PHP Code:
    B) Reboot.
    C) Try installing this version of PostgreSQL - http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloa...3.9-v1.0.7.exe

my computer won't let me save it, says i don't have permission, contact administrator.

Quote Originally Posted by Rvg72 View Post
    Fabio found the following and it worked for the first person I tried it on: doing the following steps are apparently fixing the problem so many people are having:

1: Go to "C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc" and open the "hosts" file with notepad
    2: Delete existing text
    3: Enter "127.0.0.1 localhost"
    4: Save the file
    5: Restart PostgreSQL service

ps won't let me "start service", although my option is start server.

also i dont have a postmaster.pid file

Quote Originally Posted by compliance View Post
    my computer won't let me save it, says i don't have permission, contact administrator.
    Save the edited version to your desktop, and then copy it so you can paste it back into the C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc folder.

Quote Originally Posted by compliance View Post
    ps won't let me "start service", although my option is start server.

also i dont have a postmaster.pid file
    That is normal. That file isn't always there, for every installation.

here's what my last few lines looks like, i did more research and i don't think i need to change that part:

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
    # 127.0.0.1 localhost
    # ::1 localhost

That looks right to me. I am going to close this old thread so people quit bumping it. If you are having connection issues, after the following steps, please start a new thread, or email support.

FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Can't Connect / Failed to Start PostgreSQL

First try to reboot.

If no help, try this:

Add exceptions to the windows firewall, even if it is off. If you have a 3rd party firewall, do the equivalent or uninstall it temporarily - FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Windows Firewall / Defender Problems

1) FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Can't Connect / Failed to Start PostgreSQL
    2) reinstall the same version of postgresql, using the same \data folder - FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Reinstall PostgreSQL Preserving Old Database

PHP Code:
    B) Reboot.