Backup/restore an old database

Default Backup/restore an old database

hallo gentlemen,

i have an old database with around 2,8mio hero hands and probably many observed hands as well. the db size is 90GB.

How would you go about creating a backup for this? Backup function seems to time out every time i try it. Exporting the hands, too.

My next idea would be to export the hands in segments of say half a year and hope the database doesnt time out that way?

any tips?
    these are my lifetime hands and i would like to keep them somewhere

thanks in advance

is there a way to backup from pgadmin gui? that seems to be more reliable.. and if yes, which settings should i choose?

Quote Originally Posted by horsetranquilizer View Post
    hallo gentlemen,

i have an old database with around 2,8mio hero hands and probably many observed hands as well. the db size is 90GB.

How would you go about creating a backup for this? Backup function seems to time out every time i try it. Exporting the hands, too.

My next idea would be to export the hands in segments of say half a year and hope the database doesnt time out that way?

any tips?

thanks in advance
    If your database is 90 GB you will need 90 - 180 GB of Free Space on your system drive. Please see this FAQ to clear up some more free space - http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...+of+Disk+Space

is there a way to backup from pgadmin gui? that seems to be more reliable.. and if yes, which settings should i choose?
    https://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/que...nced+Method%29

Note: Unfortunately, HM2 support ended on Dec 31, 2020 so it will likely not work at many of the sites that it used to support. If you continue to have problems, you will need to upgrade to HM3 for future technical support. You can read more about the HM2 End Of Life here.

hallo gentlemen,

any tips?

thanks in advance
    Exporting the hands in smaller segments is a good idea to avoid time-out errors during the backup process. You could also try optimizing the database to reduce its size and make the backup process faster. Alternatively, you could consider using a cloud storage service or an external hard drive to store the backup.

ah great the lack of space on the system drive is probably why i keep timing out. managed to do a full dump via pgadmin though.

thanks for the replies!

one more thing:
    i noticed, the /postgresql/data folder is around 102gb and there are another 72gb of data in /holdemmanager/database

what is that?

one more thing:
    i noticed, the /postgresql/data folder is around 102gb
    That contains the bulk of the data for your HM2 database but not the entire HM2 database, like HM1 or PT4 would save in that same folder if you used those programs.

and there are another 72gb of data in /holdemmanager/database

what is that?
    In HM1 there were a lot of tables that deal with a specific hand played by a specific player. In HM2 we don't have these tables, instead, for player related hand data, we use a flat file approach. Each player has his own folder and each file represents a single day. Each line within the file is a tokenized version of a single hand with incredible amounts of detail. Your overall HM2 spaced used (DB + Files) is about 2/3 of HM1 and we store probably 2-3 times as much info plus it can be accessed many, many times faster and allows us to do some things that wouldn't be possible otherwise. If you don't want the space in your Roaming folder due to limited C: file space, we do give you the option of storing this data anywhere when creating the database.

when i set up the database years ago, i bought a dedicated ssd for postgresql and also stored the the hm2-database folder on that drive.

looks like this thread can be closed now. thanks again