Ways to increase HM3 performance

Default Ways to increase HM3 performance

Hi,

My HUD and HM3 have been performing worse lately. Sometimes I have to ctrl+alt+delete and restart it because it gets stuck and my HUD stats won't show sometimes etc. I'm certain that it is because my database is getting large.
    I can't find a vacuum database option that was there in HM2.

1. What are the best ways to increase performance for HM3? Is there no vacuum and organize options anymore?
    2. I should probably purge some old hands. I would like to keep all the ones I've played through the years though. Is it possible to only purge hands where my screen names is not in the HH's? If so, how?

Quote Originally Posted by chillarn7 View Post
    Hi,

My HUD and HM3 have been performing worse lately. Sometimes I have to ctrl+alt+delete and restart it because it gets stuck and my HUD stats won't show sometimes etc. I'm certain that it is because my database is getting large.
    ....... 1. What are the best ways to increase performance for HM3? Is there no vacuum and organize options anymore?
    - What is your hard drive model, RAM and CPU? You can find this in your Control Panel - System - Device Manager. Please see this FAQ for our recommended/optimal system specs - https://kb.holdemmanager.com/knowled...ldem-manager-3
    - If you have an 'Alias' selected as the active player try selecting a specific site screen name with fewer hands and exit HM3, close the HM3 server, and restart HM3.
    - Does disabling the HM3 - Live Play - [ ] 'Automatically refresh' option help improve your performance?
    - How big is your database and how many hero hands are in the database?* How many tables do you typically play at the same time when you see these issues?* How long is your average session?
    - Does it help if you open the HM3 - Apps - NoteCaddy menu and 'Disable NoteCaddy'?

Please create a support ticket via the 'Contact Support' link with a link to this thread and your forum username. Please reproduce the problem and attach a set of log files and a screenshot and detailed description of the issue in the support ticket you created.

[QUOTE=chillarn7;2519868]

Quote Originally Posted by chillarn7 View Post
    .....I can't find a vacuum database option that was there in HM2.
    ....2. I should probably purge some old hands. I would like to keep all the ones I've played through the years though. Is it possible to only purge hands where my screen names is not in the HH's? If so, how?
    A database vacuum is typically only needed if you recently purged hands.

There is an option when purging to 'save hands played by = xxxxx' screen name - https://kb.holdemmanager.com/knowled...nu#purge-hands

If you have the latest HM3 beta version 3.1.23.8175 installed we just added the HM3 - Tools - 'Vacuum Database...' option.

It is also possible to vacuum databases with a 3rd party tool:

- Install the SQLite Browser.
    - Restart your computer and leave HM3 and the HM3 Server (HUD Only Mode) closed.
    - Launch the SQLite Browser program and then click the 'Open Database' option, switch the File Type box to 'All Files' and select the database you want to compact.
    - Now click Tools - 'Compact Database...' - 'OK'.
    - The process will likely say 'not responding' but just be patient as it can take a good bit of time for larger databases.
    - When the process finishes the 'Compact Database' window that had popped up will close and then you can close the main DB Browser software.

Here is a short video example of me showing the process on an old test database.

- Disabling notecaddy might be a really good idea, I've done that now. I dabbled with it a little bit but mostly just use a regular HUD.
    - My specs are Intel i7 3.7ghz, 32GB RAM, windows 10. Can't find hard drive RPM but it's a 1 TB SSD.
    - Starting HM with another screen name definitely helps. I will try and use my main alias unless when I have to. That is usually when HM3 needs a long time to work or gets stuck.
    - My Alias has around 750k played hands I believe.
    - Sessions are not so long but it has a lot of tables to keep track of.

Thanks for some great tips. I will start with the simplest ones and purge/vacuum etc if it problems persists.

Thanks for the feedback.

HM3 is more resource-intensive than HM2 was with larger databases. You might find it easier to maintain 2 databases: create a new database and import only your 2022 hands and use that for live play, and periodically update your existing database by manually importing recent archived hands when you want to review your lifetime data.

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy71 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback.

HM3 is more resource-intensive than HM2 was with larger databases. You might find it easier to maintain 2 databases: create a new database and import only your 2022 hands and use that for live play, and periodically update your existing database by manually importing recent archived hands when you want to review your lifetime data.
    That's a really good idea. I will definitely do that if I feel HM is not performing as I would like to.
    Thanks!