How can a population alias be created in HM3?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default How can a population alias be created in HM3?

It's been a long time since I really used HM, which was HM2 at the time. I remember having to go into PostgreSQL and writing a bunch of crazy SQL commands to create a population alias in the last version. The purpose of a population alias is to get average stats and, with large databases, ranges in some spots versus the population as a whole.

What is the easiest way to create a population alias in HM3? Thanks.

The only way currently to study population stats, beyond the Opponents List view, is to create an alias for those players (click the active player name then select the 'Edit Aliases...' option and create a new alias to add players to) then set that alias to be the active player in the reports for analysis, but please be aware that it can be very resource intensive to link all villains to an alias so you should have a powerful computer with lots of ram if attempting this. If you want to create an alias with a lot of villains you can do it via the NoteCaddy subscription Aliases feature that creates an alias based on a color definition.

Note: This technique can also cause erroneous results in the reports if some of the villain's you aliased together have played hands against each other. An alias is designed to join 2 or more hero screen names that would not have played against each other so while this is possible to do it is not something we officially support or recommend.

We also released a new HM3 Range Wizard App that will make population study much easier. We have a free version of the Range Wizard app under the HM3 - Apps menu if you click 'Get HM3 Apps...'.

The Range Wizard FAQs can be found here and we have a few videos about it here.

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy71 View Post
    Note: This technique can also cause erroneous results in the reports if some of the villain's you aliased together have played hands against each other. An alias is designed to join 2 or more hero screen names that would not have played against each other so while this is possible to do it is not something we officially support or recommend.

Can you elaborate on the error types just so I can be on the lookout for them? Will they cause, for example, the population alias' stats to be wildly wrong even in high frequency spots like "population cbets flop IP"?

I will check out that range tool. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by r4p3_dRaNk View Post
    Can you elaborate on the error types just so I can be on the lookout for them? Will they cause, for example, the population alias' stats to be wildly wrong even in high frequency spots like "population cbets flop IP"?

Unfortunately I can't be specific about the possible errors as that is just a general warning that was given by the developers back when customers were doing this in HM2 that I assume holds true for HM3 aliases. I wouldn't expect the errors to cause wildly wrong stats but I can't be 100% sure. The Opponents List is going to be the best way to get accurate results for the population but there is a known bug in that view where the totals row is not updating when using filters.

Creating the population alias under the Edit Alias function works, but it is enormously time consuming because each individual name must be searched and entered. I can't just run down the list and add everyone because, for this application, I wanted population stats from just the games I am currently playing in. I have an old database loaded with thousands of players from much tougher and higher stakes games on Stars from 2014-2015, and I don't want those players included in this alias.

The problem is that I currently have only around 6k hands. So I definitely want to continue expanding that alias as I continue playing. But new players constantly pass over the 50 hand minimum that I have chosen for inclusion in the alias. Therefore, every so often, it will be necessary to update it by adding those newly qualified players.

But there is no easy way to do this. I could write an autoit script to perform it, but it may require writing an OCR program so that I can take the data off of screenshots, populate a list of player names, then compare it against the last known list to see which names are new. This can be done but it will likely take hours, maybe well over 10.

Is it possible to just throw the whole NL25 population from a specific site or sites into a population alias, recreating it each time, through SQL commands as you could do in HM2?

Creating the population alias under the Edit Alias function works, but it is enormously time consuming because each individual name must be searched and entered. I can't just run down the list and add everyone because, for this application, I wanted population stats from just the games I am currently playing in. I have an old database loaded with thousands of players from much tougher and higher stakes games on Stars from 2014-2015, and I don't want those players included in this alias.
    We have a feature request to allow multi select/add of players when creating/editing an alias but I do not have an estimate for if/when that will be added. This feature request has been documented in detail and provided to the developers for future consideration. If you want to be notified if/when it is added please send an email via the 'Contact Support' link and include "Notify Me When HMT-5193 Is Resolved" in the subject line and body of the email.

The problem is that I currently have only around 6k hands. So I definitely want to continue expanding that alias as I continue playing. But new players constantly pass over the 50 hand minimum that I have chosen for inclusion in the alias. Therefore, every so often, it will be necessary to update it by adding those newly qualified players.

But there is no easy way to do this. I could write an autoit script to perform it, but it may require writing an OCR program so that I can take the data off of screenshots, populate a list of player names, then compare it against the last known list to see which names are new. This can be done but it will likely take hours, maybe well over 10.

Is it possible to just throw the whole NL25 population from a specific site or sites into a population alias, recreating it each time, through SQL commands as you could do in HM2?
    I do not know if it is possible or how to do it with commands in the HM3 database like you did with HM2 but there is a 3rd party SQLite Database Browser program that works similar to how you would have used PGAdmin for the HM2 PostgreSQL databases that you could try using at your own risk.

Oh wow. Just looked at the Opponent List view. That looks like a really good place to start trawling for broad stats. I didn't know or remember that existed.

Also the range work I was going to do is from an old database that consists of exclusively heads up hands. So it should work. Thanks for replies.