Trouble with importing hands

Default Trouble with importing hands

Hi

I have 2 computers and have HEM on both. I play on one mostly, but sometimes play on the other. I had tried to share the pokersite hand history folder on one pc and then set HEM to auto import that folder, but it didn't seem to work due to problems with windows PIN (which I have removed as it is terrible as it blocks so much functionality, including networks) and possibly hem permissions and bitdefender, so I have given up on that. If this is easy, please let me know, but I don't want to spend too much time on setting it up and manually doing it every week or just when I want to play on the other PC should be fine for my purposes.

Manual method:
    I copy the recent hand histories to a shared network folder then copy it, paste it to the desktop on other pc and import the hands. This acts as sort of a backup and so I can play on the other computer too if I want to.

When I imported the hands they didn't appear, even though it says the correct number of hands imported in the importer. I turned off the pc intending to abandon the idea of HEM on the other computer, but when I came back to it later the number of hands matched with the other PC and seemed to have imported correctly. Great, I thought, and I decided to play a short session to test if this would work properly now. I copied the file after the session and it imported hands but there was now fewer hands than before following import!!

I would note that bitdefender antivirus free uninstalled my HEM at one point on the second PC, then a HQML module failed to load etc., so this may be the root of the problem. I have uninstalled both HEM and postgresql and reinstalled since, but this error is happening. I am only on trial for bit defender and if you can recommend a antivirus solution that won't mess with HEM, I'd be grateful. The full bit defender app is on the other computer and it doesn't seem to have caused problems so maybe I should get the trial for the full version on the spare PC. For now I uninstalled, but it's still not working.

Thanks

Please see this FAQ to transfer/backup data - http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...dem+Manager%3F

This will ensure that you have your hand histories and HUD saved to import into a new computer, and as a backup to restore in case of an emergency. I recommend you do this at least once a month and keep the last 2 or 3 most recent backups (and your \HM2Archive folder) stored on an external drive and/or cloud storage site like dropbox or google drive.
    Regards udbrky (Chris)

Great. Thank you. This full backup restore works fine.

Will this back up all my note caddy files too? I'd rather it didn't as the notecaddy element of HEM can get quite big and transferring that from one computer to the other may take a while and the backups will take up a lot of space.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by nota_bene View Post
    Will this back up all my note caddy files too? I'd rather it didn't as the notecaddy element of HEM can get quite big and transferring that from one computer to the other may take a while and the backups will take up a lot of space.

Thanks.
    No, the various apps data (i.e. NC Definitions) are not part of the HM3 backups as you can see in the image below of an extracted *.hmdbbackup contents.

2021-01-29_14h39_13.png

The recommended method of keeping two databases/computers in sync is to share the archive folder, not the poker site's hand history folder, so you can manually import them on whichever machine you are on as you discovered above and instructed in detail below.

The only way to sync them currently is manually. You would need to keep your \HM3Archive folder on both machines sync'd via dropbox (or similar cloud hosting service), and manually import recent hands to each computer like we suggest for HM2.

You can use the Tools - Backup/Restore Database menu option for the initial transfer of the database but after that you will have to manually import hands to keep them in sync.

Please do not create your HM3 Database in a sub-folder of the \Program Files (x86)\Holdem Manager 3\ installation folder, or any cloud file hosting service (Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, etc) as it can cause database corruptions because it will constantly be syncing the database to the cloud while you are playing/importing. You can configure HM3 to archive any auto imported hand history files to a cloud file hosting service folder if you choose to as that will not affect the SQLite database in any way, and you can obviously store any HM3 database backup files you create in a cloud folder instead of the default path HM3 suggests when backing up databases.