Guide for cleaning up HM2 after installing HM3 + importing from HM2.

Question Guide for cleaning up HM2 after installing HM3 + importing from HM2.

Hi,

I've searched the FAQs and forum but not found what I'm looking for - apologies if it does exist somewhere and I missed it, if so I'd appreciate direction to it.

I'm in the process of getting HM3 installed and databases + HUDS imported from HM2, but once I've finished up with that, I'd like to be able to do some cleanup: uninstalling HM2 and postgres and deleting anything left over from them that HM3 *doesn't* need (old-format databases etc). I'd obviously like to do that without deleting anything that HM3 requires to operate with my imported databases and huds or messing anything up, but I'm unsure of how I'd go about that and what folders etc would be safe to delete.

I'm certain that I'm not alone as a new HM3 user that previously used HM2, so I kind of hoped there'd be a guide/FAQ entry outlining the steps but there doesn't appear to be. Any chance of please providing one so I don't have to fumble through it and risk making mistakes?

Thanks
    Last edited by Demonic666; 11-06-2019 at 08:46 AM.

Before you uninstall anything HM2 related I would suggest you make a backup of your HM2 database(s) and settings that you may want later. You should also manually compress/copy and backup all original hands and settings manually to a cloud or external storage drive/host.

Please see this FAQ to backup HM2 data. This will ensure that you have your hand histories and HUD saved to import into a new computer, and as a backup to restore in case of an emergency. I recommend you do this at least once a month and keep the last 2 or 3 most recent backups (and your \HM2Archive folder) stored on an external drive and/or cloud storage site like dropbox or google drive.

Once that is done, and you have imported any required databases and HUDs from HM2 to HM3, then you can safely uninstall HM2 and PSQL.

a) First open HM2 and create a new empty database in the database manager, and then manually delete any databases that had hands in them. This could take some time depending on the database sizes and your machines performance. Once that is done close HM2.

b) Uninstall HM2 with Revo uninstaller. There is a tutorial how to use it here. Make sure you scan for, select all, and delete all leftover files/folders that Revo finds for HM2 (and PSQL).

c) Uninstall PostgreSQL with Revo and again scan, select, and delete leftovers it finds.

d) Empty your Recycle Bin.
    Last edited by fozzy71; 11-06-2019 at 10:09 AM.

Thumbs up

Thanks very much for that Fozzy, nice clear steps for me to follow. I shall get on that now.

Thank you very much Fozzy, nice clear steps.