Alternative to HM cloud?

Default Alternative to HM cloud?

I know that cloud was discontinued in 2017.... but is there any alternative? My laptop crashes often so I don't want to rely on the C:/ folder storing my database. Is backing up that folder to Google drive a good option?

You should make regular backups.

Please see this FAQ to transfer/backup data - http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...dem+Manager%3F

This will ensure that you have your hand histories and HUD saved to import into a new computer, and as a backup to restore in case of an emergency. I recommend you do this at least once a month and keep the last 2 or 3 most recent backups (and your \HM2Archive folder) stored on an external drive and/or cloud storage site like dropbox or google drive.
    Regards udbrky (Chris)

Thanks. Where is all the data backed up to?

To whatever local folder or drive you choose. I personally back them up to my 2nd/storage HDD, not my system drive SSD. I don't bother keeping database backups in the cloud, just the original hands, as I don't play regularly/professionally any longer and don't care about player notes or edited tourney info/results.

What’s the difference between a database backup and original hands backup?

If I back them up to a local folder or drive, isn’t it the same as having them on C:\... which means if my computer crashes, I’ll lose all info in all folders/drive anyway?

Wouldn’t syncing HM2Archive folder in C:\ to Google Drive be enough? They’d be continuously backed up online that way.

The original hands are the raw files and can always be imported in anything that supports that site. The DB backup creates a zip of all the data from the DB.

Unless both hard drives die at the same time, you can pull it out and get data from it.

Either using an online backup, or keeping a backup on a drive in a fireproof safe or in another location are the best ways to have a secure backup.
    Regards udbrky (Chris)

So is it okay to sync C:/HM2Archive to my Google Drive? I believe those are the unzipped HHs?

Yes, that is fine. You just don't ever want the actual active database files (for Hm2 or HM3) on a cloud service. The constant syncing up/down to the cloud while you are playing and importing hands will corrupt the database beyond repair.