How to install again after re-installing Windows

Default How to install again after re-installing Windows

Apologies if this has been covered somewhere but can't see the best way to get set up correctly.

- I run Windows 10 and had the latest version of HM2 (in that I always click to update, even beta versions).

- Something bad happened to my Windows 10 installation so I had to re-install. This didn't touch data but did remove all Windows settings and programs.

- All old programs are in a windows.old folder.

If I click on the HM2 executable file in the windows.old folder then it loads up and I get asked for the liscence key. I got this from the website and it is accepted. Then, I get a message that the PostgreSQL database can't be located. I've not tried to install any databases.

I realise that I could just treat this as a clean new install and start from scratch, but I didn't back up for a while so I'd really like to keep my hand history and HUD settings if possible. Is there anything I can try?

Just to note - I installed Postgres and so HM2 is working, but I can't seem to restore correctly. I've tried with an old backup (an .pghembk file), and made sure that all options are ticked. None of my Hud settings are there though.

I'm not entirely sure how you created hte backup based on what you are saying.

Move the files over.

Please see this FAQ to transfer/backup data - Hold'Em Manager 2 FAQs - Poker Software :: What Files Should I Backup to Protect my Holdem Manager?

This will ensure that you have your hand histories and HUD saved to import into a new computer, and as a backup to restore in case of an emergency. I recommend you do this at least once a month and keep the last 2 or 3 most recent backups (and your \HM2Archive folder) stored on an external drive and/or cloud storage site like dropbox or google drive.
    Regards udbrky (Chris)

Quote Originally Posted by udbrky View Post
    I'm not entirely sure how you created hte backup based on what you are saying.

Move the files over.

Please see this FAQ to transfer/backup data - Hold'Em Manager 2 FAQs - Poker Software :: What Files Should I Backup to Protect my Holdem Manager?

This will ensure that you have your hand histories and HUD saved to import into a new computer, and as a backup to restore in case of an emergency. I recommend you do this at least once a month and keep the last 2 or 3 most recent backups (and your \HM2Archive folder) stored on an external drive and/or cloud storage site like dropbox or google drive.
    Thanks - just to be clear, when I tried to restore from an old backup I used to the proper backup option and ticked all the boxes when backing up some time ago. It worries me a bit that the HUD options are not there when I restore now.

What I am really wondering is whether, on a new installing of Windows, I can run HM2 from the files saved in the "Windows.old" folder and do something clever with the data files so that it has all the data uploaded. Even if it's unstable then I could maybe then do a proper backup and then restore once I've done a fresh install. I've had to re-install most programs I use but the odd one has worked by just using the files that Windows saved on the clean install.

I can get HM2 to load, by clicking a file in the "windows.old" folder, but it wanted an ID and the database was not loaded up.

I suspect that the best option may be to just do a fresh install of HM2 and postgres as if this was a brand new PC, and then use an old backup. I have some hand histories from the last few months so it's not that bad, so it's really about the HUD settings.

Move the files from the old Windows. They're in \users\username\appdata\roaming\holdemmanager\conf ig

It looks like they were not backed up.
    Regards udbrky (Chris)