not losing database when formating the hard drive

Default not losing database when formating the hard drive

Hey i want to format my harddrive, but i do not want to lose my database. What can i do to save my database?
    I thougth about copying my database onto a usb stick or another hard drive and then recopy it after i formated but dont know how to do it.

Please see this FAQ to transfer/backup data - Hold'Em Manager 2 FAQs - Poker Software :: What Files Should I Backup to Protect my Holdem Manager?

This will ensure that you have your hand histories and HUD saved to import into a new computer, and as a backup to restore in case of an emergency. I recommend you do this at least once a month and keep the last 2 or 3 most recent backups (and your \HM2Archive folder) stored on an external drive and/or cloud storage site like dropbox or google drive.
    Regards udbrky (Chris)

I have a very similar problem, so I decided to post here. I tried to export my HM2 database, but it seems that this function is not working with such large amount of hands. I have 106 gb database and I tried to export only my hands from the last 4 months (not too many, probably around 150k hands) and I left the computer to do the work for the whole night and it did nothing. Is there any way of exporting my whole database, or at least my own hands from it? (I have 150 gb of free space on both of my hard drives)

Is that the space it actually takes up, or the size it says in control panel?

You need 20% of your disk free and 2x the size of the files you're backing up.

Delete the files in your c:\users\username\appdata\local\temp folder

You will need to show system and hidden files. See this tutorial for showing system and hidden files:
    Hold'Em Manager 2 FAQs - Poker Software :: How are Hidden Files Viewed in Windows?

Please see this FAQ to alleviate any security bottlenecks - Hold'Em Manager 2 FAQs - Poker Software :: Set Correct Permissions on files and folders HM2 use

If you continue to have problems, please duplicate the issue and send us log files with a detailed description of what you were doing and what problems you were experiencing:
    - Open Windows Event Viewer's (Control Panel > System & Security > Administrative Tools or Start > Search > 'Event Viewer') > Windows Logs > Applications.
    - Check for any errors and send the information (Save All Events As...).
    - Please send your \HM2Logs folder files as well - Hold'Em Manager 2 FAQs - Poker Software :: How Do I Send a Log File to Holdem Manager Support?

When sending any files please zip them (right-click > send to > compressed folder) before attaching them to an email. If the attachment is larger than 10MB please upload them to a file hosting site like dropbox, then right-click > 'copy public link' and paste the download link directly into the support ticket email. If you have any problems with dropbox try using filedropper.com
    Regards udbrky (Chris)

Hey Chris, thanks for the answer. My postgreSQL folder takes 106 GB and HM Database Info says that the database's size is 106 GB. HoldemManager folder in AppData takes 131 GB (size on disk 135 GB). Overall HM+postgres takes around 241 GB on my C: which has 465 GB, so technically I am not able to free up to 20% (93 GB) + 2x the size of the database (212 GB) on that disk (together 305 GB). Does it mean that I can't export the whole database?

I have the database on C: and I want to export the files to D:. do I need to have 20% of disk space free + 2x the size of the files I'm backing up on both C: and D: or only on D: or only on C:? It is kind of a big deal for me considering the size of the database I have.

edit: I was able to successfully export this years hands after proceeding with the instructions that you provided so probably the problem lies in the size of disk space or some other of my computer specs. I failed to export hands from 1/2 cent from my whole database which should be maybe 50 hands altogether, so it seems like my HM doesn't want to work with the whole database and I have to specify a date range and then maybe it will work... I'm trying various things at this moment.
    Last edited by MIStrZZZ; 03-30-2017 at 04:48 AM.

Please see this FAQ to move your database to another drive. Please note this is an advanced article and we do not provide support for this method if you encounter issues but at the request of users we decided to make a FAQ for those who felt confident enough to try this method.

Hold'Em Manager 2 FAQs - Poker Software :: Move Database to Another Hard Drive or Partition

You don't need to export, just copy c:\hm2archive
    Regards udbrky (Chris)