Recurring Problem: Postgresql does no more starts after a win10 update

Default Recurring Problem: Postgresql does no more starts after a win10 update

Hello,

since I upgrade to windows 10, I have a problem with postgresql. Normally it starts automatically at boot carefree, but every time (or almost) I do a win10 update , then for several days I can no longer start it. There I did yesterday last win10 update, and since I cannot start postgresql.

When I go to the task manager / tab "services" /postgresql-8.4 it has the status "stopped" (or something like that : I have it in french) if I clik right and above puts start, he gets "starting" status for 1 minute and then returns to " stopped". If I go on "open services", I search my psotgresql in the list, it is in the automatic start mode, and if I try to start there, I the window "Control Service - Windows tries start the following service on Local Computer ... / PostgreSQL PostgreSQL Server-8.4- 8.4 " with a nice green progress bar advancing, but after a minute I obtain a window " services / Windows could not start the postgresql-8.4 Service - PostgreSQL server 8.4 Local computer / Error 1053:. Me service did not respond quickly enough to demand start or control ".

If it happens like all the other times I made a win10 update, it will do this to me for 3-5 days, and thet it will again launch alone at startup...

Do you now how I could solve this without having to wait and pray ?

Thx much !

Which Firewall, and AntiVirus are you using?

Please see this FAQ to alleviate any security bottlenecks - Hold'Em Manager 2 FAQs - Poker Software :: Set Correct Permissions on files and folders HM2 use

This is usually a firewall or windows update issue and the following guide gives a step by step guide:
    Hold'Em Manager 2 FAQs - Poker Software :: Can not Connect / Failed to Start PostgreSQL

The secondary logon service is a standard windows service which is available on every windows computer and is required to install PostgreSQL. In some versions it is not started automatically and it will just give an error when trying to connect to PostgreSQL. You need to verify it is turned on via control panel > administrative tools > services > secondary logon > right-click > start AND right-click > properties and choose startup type: automatic so it will be started automatically next time your PC reboots.

If you continue to have problems:

Many of those free Norton, Mcaffee, Comodo, Zonealarm, Avira, Avast, AVG, Bitdefender, etc, 'internet security' bundles will not work well with Holdem Manager.

Please do the following steps, so we can get your computer to a state that we know will work with Holdem Manager:

1) Uninstall any 3rd party security software (even windows defender or security essentials) bundles and dont reinstall them until after you reconnect postgresql.
    2) Reboot your computer
    3) Please install the latest version: http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloa...ger_2_Beta.exe
    - After downloading, you should right-click the file, go to properties and click unblock.*
    * If you do not see an 'unblock' option you can ignore this step.
    - Then, right click the file and run as administrator.
    4) Enable Windows Firewall's recommended settings through your Control Panel, turn off Windows Defender, and add firewall exceptions for HM and SQL - Hold'Em Manager 2 FAQs - Poker Software :: Software Security Problems (Firewall)

If you continue to have problems you can try to reinstall the same version of postgresql and reconnect your database:

Make sure windows is fully updated until 'No New Important Updates are Found' (this may require multiple restarts and multiple 'check for updates'), including Internet Explorer (even if you use a different web browser).

Please note that reinstalling PostgreSQL will mean losing all your old data. If you have access to HM2 and your database was not corrupt then please follow these instructions for backing up your database as a precaution in case you cannot reconnect after reinstalling PostgreSQL - Hold'Em Manager 2 FAQs - Poker Software :: How does Backup and Restore Database, Settings and HUD configs work?

If you cannot access the database in HM2 then you can backup your database using this method: Hold'Em Manager 2 FAQs - Poker Software :: How does Backup or Restore via PostgreSQL work? (Advanced Method) but if your database was corrupt then the best solution is to reimport all your hands from C:/HM2archive folder or if your pokersite supports it you can request all your hands and summaries and reimport them as restoring a corrupt database will just restore all the problems you had.

Once you have backed up your previous database(s) then follow the instructions below to uninstall and reinstall PostgreSQL using the same database.

1) Uninstall PostgreSQL from the Windows Control Panel.

2) Run the command - start > programs > accessories > command prompt > right-click > run as administrator and type the following and then press enter:

net user postgres /delete

3) You should get a successfully completed response if done correctly. If you get a permission type error you likely didnt run it as administrator as explained above.

4) Reboot your PC

5) Install the same version of PostgreSQL as your previous database using these instructions - Hold'Em Manager 2 FAQs - Poker Software :: Reinstall PostgreSQL 8.4 while preserving database
    http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/postgres84

If none of that helps you will have to reinstall postgresql from scratch:

1) Uninstall PostgreSQL from the Windows Control Panel.

2) Delete the \PostgreSQL\X.x\data folder that is left behind.

3) Delete the sub-folder(s) in c:\users\username\appdata\roaming\HoldemManager\Da tabase (XP - c:\documents and settings\username\application data\HoldemManager\Database).

4) run the command - start > programs > accessories > command prompt > right-click > run as administrator

net user postgres /delete

After you click 'Enter' for the code above also do that same for this code:

sc delete postgresql-8.4

and click 'Enter' again.

5) Restart your PC

6) Install PostgreSQL 9.0 or 9.2 from Download PostgreSQL | EnterpriseDB

7) Once installed you should disable the postgresql logging as instructed here - Hold'Em Manager 2 FAQs - Poker Software :: Large Log Files

If there is still an issue, we need to know the error - it is in the temp folder - bitrockinstaller.txt file. If you can't see it, turn off the windows option that is hiding that directory. FAQ - Hold'em Manager (HM1) Poker Tracking Software :: How to See Hidden Files in Windows

If you continue to have problems, please reproduce the problem and zip/attach your HM2Logs folder with a detailed description of what you were doing and what problems you were experiencing.

Please zip and email the requested files via the 'Contact Support' link here and if there is a forum thread with additional information please link to this thread and let us know your forum name if there are several people in the thread.

When sending any files please zip them (right-click > send to > compressed folder) before attaching them to an email. If the attachment is larger than 10MB please upload them to a file hosting site like dropbox, then 'copy public link' and paste the download link directly into the support ticket and if there is a forum thread with additional information please link to this thread and let us know your forum name if there are several people in the thread.

Hello,

new batch of win10 updates available --> problem solved...
    --> I keep this post for new update, thx

You are very welcome. Thank you for letting us know it solved your problems. It helps us when crafting future replies to other customers with similar problems.

Good luck at the tables. If you have any further questions or problems do not hesitate to ask us.
    Regards udbrky (Chris)

Hello,
    back on this issue after some months. Finally since early january, posgresql refused to start at all even with news win10 update (and doble checking every authorisation and all...). The only way to solve this was to delete and reinstall the last posgresql V 8.4xx. I was able to recover my old databases.
    I did not enconter any difficulty following your guides, the only feedback I could give is that they are not up to date for win10, and that there is a little line missing here :
    Hold'Em Manager 2 FAQs - Poker Software :: Reinstall PostgreSQL 8.4 while preserving database
    betwen 3. and 4.

Thx for all !

We can add the windows 10 location.

What line is missing?
    Regards udbrky (Chris)

in the 3. section, we are using the command prompt to delete postgres user

the 4. section start with "Select Next and choose the path where you would like to install the PostgreSQL directory,...."
    For most user it will be obvious that this is not in the command promt that you do that but that this is in the posgres installer, but for people that those not understand what they are doing and are just following the thread step by step, there is something like "close command prompt and run the posgres installer you have download." And maybe you need to add something like to run it as admin or something else, don't know, I've just run it normally and it worked.