Opp by range?

Thread: Opp by range?

Default Opp by range?

I've built some defs to test how often in my db villains raise strong hands.

If I use general strength 90+ Opp by action I get 4%
    I expected [incorrectly] for this to tell me how often when he has a 90+ hand stength that he raises.
    No way he only raises strong hands 4% - what is this actually telling me?

If I use general strength 90+ Opp by range I get 63%
    I think this is telling me when villain has 90+ strength he raises 63% of the time - presumably calling the rest?

Only when I set the same def to call instead of raise Opp by range tells me 90+ str hands call 55%.
    Seems odd, is this all affected by using implicit strength/weakness, and is this discrepancy then caused by the fact I haven't required the hand to go to showdown?

Quote Originally Posted by Colin252 View Post
    If I use general strength 90+ Opp by action I get 4%
    I expected [incorrectly] for this to tell me how often when he has a 90+ hand stength that he raises.
    No way he only raises strong hands 4% - what is this actually telling me?
    That when he raises in 4% of the time he has a hand with general strength >90. Opportunity by range does exactly what i says: the handrange is the opportunity, not the action.

Thanks for the reply, I seem to be in DUMMY mode over this whole thing.
    Ok, so by action tells me how often he has 90+ and raises or just how often he has 90+? The former I guess?
    So if I want to know that of the times he holds 90+ strength that he raises, how would I do that?
    So 90+ hands that calls is an opp, and 90+ hand that raises is a success?
    do I need a composite?
    Sorry for all the questions, and thanks in advance for your patience

You can make a definition with opportunity by action and set general strength as it fits for you. But, and that's a big "but", the output of this definition might not be good/satisfying. Keep in mind, NC can only determine general strength, when the hand went to showdown, so you'll miss out on all hands where Villain didn't showdown.

Re Opp by action, thats the first one I made, and it resulted 4% success. Thats what confused me, I expected str90+ & flop raise & define Opp by action to tell me that when and only when he has strength 90+ he raises rather than folding or calling. But clearly it doesn't as he isn't doing something other than raise 96% of the time {brain melts while he tries to understand}

Yes I see your point, flop is the worst for it as well as there are so many variables going into what flop hands see showdown.
    Just trying to get some population reads for flop raises, but it seems pretty hard to do

4% of all opportunites (calls, folds and raises) the population raised with a hand with general strength xy. Probably you should try it with a composite:

building block 1: raises with handstrength xy ("do not take notes for missed opportunities" checked)

building block 2: calls with handstrength xy ("do not take notes for missed opportunities" checked)

...and then the composite: (b.-block1*100)/(b.block1+b.block2)

That said, if you ask me, i'd make for the showdown a set of definitions using different steppings of general strength and implicit strength/wekness for the non-showdown ones. Then looking at the averages in NC should give you the desired picture.

I see, yes that's good thinking.
    Thanks for your help, I really appreciate you taking the time to explain