Performance Problems

Default Performance Problems

I'm using Alan Jackson's Dynamic HUD and am experiencing severe performance issues. I'm playing on WPN (Black Chip).

I custom-built my computer with this type of application in mind and the only non-premium component is the video card. I have an i7-4820k with 16GB dual-channel RAM and a fast i/o SSD. (Windows 8)

My database is relatively small (55k hands) and I experience these problems with a new database.

When using the dynamic HUD with 4+ tables, HEM becomes unresponsive for several seconds at a time (though it continues doing calculations). During this time, I am unable to view or mark hands or update "Active Session" (though it eventually updates)...and I do not have time to wait until I'm able to do so.

Also, there is a lag (on poker tables) of up to half a second or more between the time I click an action button and when the action is carried out. (Causing a lag before switching to the next table needing action, as I stack tables.)

CPU usage never rises above 40% and memory usage is never above 33%.

I followed in detail (multiple times) Alan's performance guide, as well as your performance tips sticky.

Here are two possible issues:

1. While setting file permissions for both "Program Files/HEM2" and "postgres" folders, there is a "CREATOR OWNER" object which does not allow me to set permissions. Every time I checkmark all permissions and press APPLY, it resets to no permissions (except special). I've spent 30 minutes googling this, but I don't understand comments made about it and there is much conflicting advice. If I had to guess...it looks like these permissions are not meant to be changed?

2. When I run the .NET Framework repair/uninstall tool and then try to re-install .NET Framework, a message appears telling me that this version of .NET Framework is already installed. I fairly recently did a clean install of Windows 8 because I was troubleshooting HEM2 and was told to try this reinstallation procedure of .NET Framework. When I encountered this same problem, the only solution I could find was a clean install.
    Alan suggested there is a data bottleneck somewhere. It seems to be the writing of the data to the HUD that causes the lag. While Notecaddy is turned on with the default HUD, the lag problems do not occur.

Two potentially related problems:

1. No matter which HUD I use, when playing a large number of tables (i.e. 14+), when I move a table, the HUD takes a brief time to move to the table's new location.

2. When a HUD (any HUD) first appears on a table, the panels frequently appear in the wrong locations. They always appear in the same wrong locations, over the betting areas and overlapping (in the case of two-panel HUDs). The problem is usually worked out within three hands, but at times it persists for dozens of hands...and finally corrects itself at some point.

Which Firewall and AntiVirus are you using?

The permissions glitch is a known windows bug you can ignore. It is set but doesn't reflect it properly.

It sounds like .net is installed and updated.

Make sure you do not have a large number of old (unsupported/stuck) hand history files in your auto import folders. See this FAQ to resolve those issues - Hold'Em Manager 2 FAQs - Poker Software :: Play Money Hands

How big is your database and how many hero hands are in the database? If you have a large database you can try to edit the hm2 config file to force HM2 to use more or less RAM and see if it helps. I have attached a text document with instructions if you want to try that also.

Please check these 2 FAQs and try all the steps there to see if they help:
    - This FAQ resolves issues where security software continually try to scan files and processes which can slow down your PC
    - This FAQ has general tips and solutions for performance issues

A few other things you could try to see if it helps when playing:
    - Does it help you disable the Settings > General Settings > Miscellaneous > [ ] 'Automatically Refresh' option and restart HM2?
    - Try leaving HM2 on the 'Home' tab when playing.
    - Try picking a villain in the reports that only has a few hands in your database instead of your hero and restart HM2.
    - Try creating a new smaller database with just hands from the past 1 or 2 months to use when playing - Hold'Em Manager 2 FAQs - Poker Software :: How to create a new database and import previously played hands

If you continue to have problems, please reproduce the problem and zip/attach your HM2Logs folder with a detailed description of what you were doing and what problems you were experiencing.

Please zip and email the requested files via the 'Contact Support' link here and if there is a forum thread with additional information please link to this thread and let us know your forum name if there are several people in the thread.

When sending any files please zip them (right-click > send to > compressed folder) before attaching them to an email. If the attachment is larger than 10MB please upload them to a file hosting site like dropbox, then 'copy public link' and paste the download link directly into the support ticket and if there is a forum thread with additional information please link to this thread and let us know your forum name if there are several people in the thread.

I did have a TON of non-archived hands in my HH folder. The site that I play on apparently includes hand histories in three different formats (!!!). This is almost definitely the problem. I did not remember have these problems when I first started using the HUD.

I guess I need to regularly clear these out manually?

I will try this first and if it doesn't work go through the rest of the list (some of which I have done a couple times). If you don't hear back, then these HHs were the problem!

ThanX!

EDIT: I cleaned out the HH folder, unchecked "Auto-refresh", and set HEM on the Home tab. The combination of these gives me decent performance. Still a little lag, but that's probably to be expected with this HUD.
    Last edited by john2; 03-16-2016 at 11:32 AM.

Yes, WPN sites used to only write the phh/dhh files that PT4 supported and still supports. They later added the txt files so we could support WPN with HM2 so you will need to manually archive those periodically. I personally just delete them once or twice a month but I don't play as many hands per month as most of our customers do so you may need to do it more often. HM2 can only archive the hands it actually imports so those phh/dhh files do not get archived.