Connection to PostgreSQL
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Connection to PostgreSQL

Hi, I'm getting this error when I try to start HM2:

5vMzwa6.png

HMnuFjz.png

I downloaded the latest HM2 to see if it would fix but it still just does this.

I'm running W10, 64bit.

Which Operating System, Firewall, and AntiVirus are you using?

This is usually a firewall or windows update issue and the following guide gives a step by step guide:
    Hold'Em Manager 2 FAQs - Poker Software :: Can not Connect / Failed to Start PostgreSQL

The secondary logon service is a standard windows service which is available on every windows computer and is required to install PostgreSQL. In some versions it is not started automatically and it will just give an error when trying to connect to PostgreSQL. You need to verify it is turned on via control panel > administrative tools > services > secondary logon > right-click > start AND right-click > properties and choose startup type: automatic so it will be started automatically next time your PC reboots.

If you continue to have problems:

Many of those free Norton, Mcaffee, Comodo, Zonealarm, Avira, Avast, AVG, Bitdefender, etc, 'internet security' bundles will not work well with Holdem Manager.

Please do the following steps, so we can get your computer to a state that we know will work with Holdem Manager:

1) Uninstall any 3rd party security software (even windows defender or security essentials) bundles and dont reinstall them until after you reconnect postgresql.
    2) Reboot your computer
    3) Please install the latest version: http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloa...ger_2_Beta.exe
    - After downloading, you should right-click the file, go to properties and click unblock. Then, right click the file and run as administrator.
    4) Enable Windows Firewall's recommended settings through your Control Panel, turn off Windows Defender, and add firewall exceptions for HM and SQL - Hold'Em Manager 2 FAQs - Poker Software :: Software Security Problems (Firewall)

If you continue to have problems you can try to reinstall the same version of postgresql and reconnect your database:

Make sure windows is fully updated until 'No New Important Updates are Found' (this may require multiple restarts and multiple 'check for updates'), including Internet Explorer (even if you use a different web browser).

Please note that reinstalling PostgreSQL will mean losing all your old data. If you have access to HM2 and your database was not corrupt then please follow these instructions for backing up your database as a precaution in case you cannot reconnect after reinstalling PostgreSQL - Hold'Em Manager 2 FAQs - Poker Software :: How does Backup and Restore Database, Settings and HUD configs work?

If you cannot access the database in HM2 then you can backup your database using this method: Hold'Em Manager 2 FAQs - Poker Software :: How does Backup or Restore via PostgreSQL work? (Advanced Method) but if your database was corrupt then the best solution is to reimport all your hands from C:/HM2archive folder or if your pokersite supports it you can request all your hands and summaries and reimport them as restoring a corrupt database will just restore all the problems you had.

Once you have backed up your previous database(s) then follow the instructions below to uninstall and reinstall PostgreSQL using the same database.

1) Uninstall PostgreSQL from the Windows Control Panel.

2) Run the command - start > programs > accessories > command prompt > right-click > run as administrator and type the following and then press enter:

net user postgres /delete

3) You should get a successfully completed response if done correctly. If you get a permission type error you likely didnt run it as administrator as explained above.

4) Reboot your PC

5) Install the same version of PostgreSQL as your previous database using these instructions - Hold'Em Manager 2 FAQs - Poker Software :: Reinstall PostgreSQL 8.4 while preserving database
    http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/postgres84

If none of that helps you will have to reinstall postgresql from scratch:

2) Delete the \PostgreSQL\X.x\data folder that is left behind.

3) Delete the sub-folder(s) in c:\users\username\appdata\roaming\HoldemManager\Da tabase (XP - c:\documents and settings\username\application data\HoldemManager\Database).

4) run the command - start > programs > accessories > command prompt > right-click > run as administrator

After you click 'Enter' for the code above also do that same for this code:

sc delete postgresql-8.4

and click 'Enter' again.

5) Restart your PC

6) Install PostgreSQL 9.0 or 9.2 from Download PostgreSQL | EnterpriseDB

7) Once installed you should disable the postgresql logging as instructed here - Hold'Em Manager 2 FAQs - Poker Software :: Large Log Files

If there is still an issue, we need to know the error - it is in the temp folder - bitrockinstaller.txt file. If you can't see it, turn off the windows option that is hiding that directory. FAQ - Hold'em Manager (HM1) Poker Tracking Software :: How to See Hidden Files in Windows

i followed these steps quite closely and still can't get it to work.

I can't access the DB via the hm2 application so if i want to reinstall postgresql i have to backup my database using the advanced method. however, once i open pgAdmin III and double click on PostgreSQL 8.4 (localhost: 5432), i enter the password (postgrespass) and nothing happens. so i can't backup my database for the postreSQL install...

Quote Originally Posted by DrDunne View Post
    i followed these steps quite closely and still can't get it to work.

I can't access the DB via the hm2 application so if i want to reinstall postgresql i have to backup my database using the advanced method. however, once i open pgAdmin III and double click on PostgreSQL 8.4 (localhost: 5432), i enter the password (postgrespass) and nothing happens. so i can't backup my database for the postreSQL install...
    This is why regular backups are a good idea. If your database becomes corrupt you can restore a backup and only have to import the most recent hands (that were played after the backup was created) and edit any tournament results if necessary.

Your only option if you don't have any old backups, and can't reconnect the current database, is going to be to rebuild the database manually after reinstalling postgresql. All original hands that are auto-imported get moved to an archive for performance reasons. Your \HM2Archive is in C:\HM2Archive by default, but you may have put it anywhere. The archive should be organized by \Month\DayOfMonth (example: D:\HM2Archive\2009\07\31) or if it was auto-imported with 7283+ it would be in \HM2Archive\SiteName\YYYY\MM\DD.

Hi, just digging this up. I'm having problems with this step:
    //////
    2) Run the command - start > programs > accessories > command prompt > right-click > run as administrator and type the following and then press enter:

/////

the pathway in command prompt is: C:\WINDOWS\system32> and I just get a message telling me that the user name could not be found.

What should I do? Thanks

What shows when you type net user in the cmd prompt?
    Regards udbrky (Chris)

ilobzfv.png

This is what I get. Could these problems be due to changing from HD to SSD? I still have my old HD but I wanted to boot windows and have HM2 run from the SSD... I also have HM2 installed on a couple of users on the PC (old user accounts).

I just would like to completely remove HM2 and everything associated and begin from scratch.

It's hard to know what the exact set up you are running is at this point.

Please see this to transfer files to a different windows user:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...b-1b670dd6706d

Then:

Please note that reinstalling PostgreSQL will mean losing all your old data. If you have access to HM2 and your database was not corrupt then please follow these instructions for backing up your database as a precaution in case you cannot reconnect after reinstalling PostgreSQL - Hold'Em Manager 2 FAQs - Poker Software :: How does Backup and Restore Database, Settings and HUD configs work?

If you cannot access the database in HM2 then you can backup your database using this method: Hold'Em Manager 2 FAQs - Poker Software :: How does Backup or Restore via PostgreSQL work? (Advanced Method) but if your database was corrupt then the best solution is to reimport all your hands from C:/HM2archive folder or if your pokersite supports it you can request all your hands and summaries and reimport them as restoring a corrupt database will just restore all the problems you had.

Once you have backed up your previous database(s) then follow the instructions below to uninstall and reinstall PostgreSQL using the same database.

3) You should get a successfully completed response if done correctly. If you get a permission type error you likely didnt run it as administrator as explained above.

4) Reboot your PC

5) Install the same version of PostgreSQL as your previous database using these instructions - Hold'Em Manager 2 FAQs - Poker Software :: Reinstall PostgreSQL 8.4 while preserving database
    http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/postgres84
    Regards udbrky (Chris)

I've followed all of these steps before, deleted everything and reinstalled postgres. HM2 reinstalled and was working ok for a while but then I stopped playing for a few months. I just returned, opened up HM2 and got the original problem all over again. I do not want to go through all of the hassle of importing my database (it took nearly 3 days last time) only for this problem to emerge once again. How can I ensure that this won't happen again? (I have just followed all of the steps apart from #5).

I also got a message that postgre wasn't fully deleted but I didn't get a chance to note down the message (it said something like there were remaining folders). And I think the version of PostgreSQL that I was using was 8.4.20, not 8.4.22-1.

For example I still have these folders even after following the steps:

7tXUv6Z.png

And inside PostgreSQL folder is this:
    GLMCd04.png

I think that because these folders still exist I will continue to have problems.