Can't connect to PostreSQL
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Can't connect to PostreSQL

So I got this problem today. I watched the 10 minute video suggested by the Troubleshooter and tried everything it said but it did not help. Also I installed Windows 10 a couple of weeks ago and since then HM2 was very sluggish on startup and probably 50% of the time I had to terminate it using the task manager and restart it otherwise I was stuck on the loading screen. Also I installed Poker Tracker 4 a few days back but problem happened today.
    And for the last couple of days I get this error message at random times. I don't know if it has anything to do with HM2 and PostreSQL:
    RrhowEe.jpg
    Last edited by voin_bg; 10-16-2015 at 09:57 AM.

Here is a guide to help with issues with Windows 8 and HM. This is applicable to Windows 10 as well, since it is essentially 8.

http://forums.holdemmanager.com/gene...ade-guide.html

Please see this FAQ to fix Windows problems - Hold'Em Manager 2 FAQs - Poker Software :: How to repair Windows files

This is usually a firewall or windows update issue and the following guide gives a step by step guide:
    Hold'Em Manager 2 FAQs - Poker Software :: Can not Connect / Failed to Start PostgreSQL
    Regards udbrky (Chris)

Oh resetting the the Winsock Adapter fixed the issue. I used this guide for win 10 https://iihelp.iinet.net.au/Resettin...Winsock_Reset)
    Close thread I guess.

Cheers!

My happiness was short lived. Problem happened again. This time resetting the Winsock Adapter doesn't help. All I am left to do from the list is reinstall PostreSQL. What will happen to my database of hands if I do that? I have a lot of hands. I don't want to loose them.

Edit: Since I need the HUD fast I reinstalled PostreSQL with the latest 8.4.x version. HM2 works fine now. I'll update if problem happens again. Hope fully it doesn't.
    Last edited by voin_bg; 10-17-2015 at 08:51 AM.

Thank you for letting us know what solved your problems.

You may have been able to, or still able to, reinstall the same version of postgresql and reconnect the old database. When you uninstall postgresql it leaves the \data folder of your database and renames it with a date/time code in the folder name.

1) Uninstall PostgreSQL from the Windows Control Panel.

2) Run the command - start > programs > accessories > command prompt > right-click > run as administrator and type the following and then press enter:

net user postgres /delete

3) You should get a successfully completed response if done correctly. If you get a permission type error you likely didnt run it as administrator as explained above.

4) Reboot your PC

5) Install the same version of PostgreSQL as your previous database using these instructions - Hold'Em Manager 2 FAQs - Poker Software :: Reinstall PostgreSQL 8.4 while preserving database
    http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/postgres84

Good luck at the tables. If you have any further questions or problems do not hesitate to ask us.

It has happened again. And only way to fix it is to reinstall postresql every time it happens.

Which Firewall, and AntiVirus are you using?

Many of those free Norton, Mcaffee, Comodo, Zonealarm, Avira, Avast, AVG, Bitdefender, etc, 'internet security' bundles will not work well with Holdem Manager.

Please do the following steps, so we can get your computer to a state that we know will work with Holdem Manager:

1) Uninstall any 3rd party security software bundles.
    2) Reboot your computer
    3) Please install the latest version: http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloa...ger_2_Beta.exe
    - After downloading, you should right-click the file, go to properties and click unblock. Then, right click the file and run as administrator.
    4) Enable Windows Firewall's recommended settings through your Control Panel, turn off Windows Defender, and add firewall exceptions for HM and SQL - Hold'Em Manager 2 FAQs - Poker Software :: Software Security Problems (Firewall)
    5) Install Microsoft Security Essentials for antivirus/malware protection and update it - Microsoft Security Essentials - Microsoft Windows

Obviously Windows 10 has issues... I've decided to move back to Win 7 and I might do a clean install. Can you tell me how to save my HM2 settings?

Quote Originally Posted by voin_bg View Post
    Obviously Windows 10 has issues... I've decided to move back to Win 7 and I might do a clean install. Can you tell me how to save my HM2 settings?
    Please see this FAQ to transfer/backup data:

Hold'Em Manager 2 FAQs - Poker Software :: What Files Should I Backup to Protect my Holdem Manager?

This will ensure that you have your hand histories and HUD saved to import into a new computer, and as a backup to restore in case of an emergency.

I backed up my DB and now when I try to restore it nothing happens... It tells me it will take many hours and after a minute the window just closes itself and the DB is still 7MB instead of the 2 gigs which is the backup.