Switch to newer PostGres version (8.4 -> 9.0)

Default Switch to newer PostGres version (8.4 -> 9.0)

Hello,

I bought Alan Jackson's HUD for NoteCaddy (HM2, cash games, Hold'em). He recommends to first upgrade to PostGres 9.0. Now I use 8.4. How do I tell HM2 he has a new PostGres version to use? At first I'd like to leave PostGres 8.4 with the databases on the disk, in order to be able to switch back at any time if I experience problems. I have windows 7.

Thanks.

You will have to just install a new version and assign a different port when installing. HM2 uses port 5432 by default so when installing use 5433 instead then you can switch from one PSQL server to the other when you want to switch.

Please note that reinstalling PostgreSQL will mean losing all your old data. If you have access to HM2 and your database was not corrupt then please follow these instructions for backing up your database as a precaution in case you cannot reconnect after reinstalling PostgreSQL - http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...onfigs+work%3F

If you cannot access the database in HM2 then you can backup your database using this method: http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...nced+Method%29 but if your database was corrupt then the best solution is to reimport all your hands from C:/HM2archive folder or if your pokersite supports it you can request all your hands and summaries and reimport them as restoring a corrupt database will just restore all the problems you had.

Once you have backed up your previous database(s) then follow the instructions below to uninstall and reinstall PostgreSQL using the same database.

Make sure windows is fully updated until 'No New Important Updates are Found' (this may require multiple restarts and multiple 'check for updates'), including Internet Explorer (even if you use a different web browser).

1) Install PostgreSQL 9.0 or 9.2 from postgresql.org

2) Once installed you should disable the postgresql logging as instructed here - http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...arge+Log+Files

I haven't ran two different versions at the same time in years so you have any issues switching between them post here again and I can have one of the other guys assist you with that.

1. please, is there a major perfomance gain (speed etc.) after switching postgres from 8.4 to 9.2 ?
    2. v9.2 is the highest recommended version? because there is v9.5 available.

Anything besides 9.1 is ok.

We haven't seen a huge increase after 8.4.
    Regards udbrky (Chris)