Import speed question

Default Import speed question

Hi guys!

I have a PC with these specs:

CPU: I5-2500k
    Motherboard: P8P67-LE
    2x raid 0 SSD samsung 840 series (no trim function for raid 0)

And a notebook with these specs:

Asus G750JM
    CPU I7-4710HQ
    2x raid 0 SSD samsung 840 evo (with trim function for raid 0)

I was importing my hands from HM2archive, i copy and paste the folder of my PC to my notebook direct to the archive fold for no need of archiving while importing, and it was 400h/s, so i tested at my PC and was 800h/s, why so big difference as the CPU has almost the same performance at benchmarks and the SSD is even better at my notebook? Obs: notebook power plan is configured to performance.

It's ok for normal use as importing hands, but when talking about the notecaddy app, it will make a huge difference this speed, as at my PC notecaddy is already slow.

First of all there are a lot of performance tweaks you can do, to improve import speeds.
    -Install PostgreSQL 9.2 (64 bit).
    -Tweak postgresql.config:
    http://forums.holdemmanager.com/mana...ease-tips.html, .
    http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...+is+lagging%3F.

http://forums.holdemmanager.com/gene...ance-tips.html

This will not magically make the import speed jump from 800h/s to >800h/s, but will make it decrease less over time as the database gets bigger.

--

As to your main question, the performance difference between the PC vs Notebook:
    PC i5 has a CPU speed of 3.3 GHz
    Notebook i7 is 2.5 GHz
    That's a pretty big difference. Their performance is only similar in benchmarks or when TURBOBOOST is used.

Also I imagine the RAM memory speed of the PC is faster.

These two factors (RAM speed + the 2.5 vs 3.3 GHz base speed) highly affect import speeds.

The good news is the Notebook will be better for NoteCaddy, as Notecaddy can use your 8 thread hyper-threading

--

PC Notecaddy being slow: check the NoteCaddy performance settings:
    Go over: NoteCaddy speed improvement - Assaultware Wiki
    And the AJackson Performance Guide might be helpful as well.

Don't assign more than 2 threads to NoteCaddy on the PC. (where you can assign 6 out of 8 on the Notebook)
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

Thanks for the fast answer Patvs!

I will try the tweaks.

I forgot about the RAM memory, PC is 2 x 8GB kingston hyperx CL10, while notebook is 2 x 4GB hyperx DDR3L CL9 and another 2x4GB DDR3L samsung CL11. Both PC and note are 1600 MHz.

About the CPU clock, as i am using at performance power mode, it's running 3.3 GHz, confirmed by CPU-Z.

Thanks again!

I got 500h/s just upgrading to PostgreSQL 9.2 (64 bit). It went up to 850h/s for few minutes at beginning, but started dropping and from middle to end stayed at 500h/s.

Notecaddy i got 260h/s with all definitions that come with NC by default, need to test at PC cause i can't recall how many hands/s was.

I already did the tweak at postgresql.config, need just to restart and test now.

Tweaking postgresql i still got 500h/s importing, but notecaddy is now 670h/s from previously 260h/s.
    I assigned 6 threads to notecaddy.

Very nice improvement, thanks!

Try 8 out of 8 threads assigned to NoteCaddy.
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here