stats in opponent summaries report don't seem to match

Default stats in opponent summaries report don't seem to match

I'm not exactly sure if this is a bug of if I'm just reading this wrong, but in the Opponents tab under Summaries, the #'s at the bottom of the column don't match the number in the Group Profile below.

Take the example below: With no filters on in my 2 mil hand database, the bottom on the VP$IP column is 27.2%, but in the group profile section it says the Mean is 37.7 and the Median is 35.4. (There's a big discrepancy like this for every one of the 7 group pull-down stats available, btw.)

Is something funny going on here or am I just not sure what those #'s are at the bottom on the columns mean? Just was assuming there were the average of the player pool. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rowhousepd; 07-07-2015 at 02:28 AM.

Is this on Bovada?

I have escalated your issue to our 2nd level support techs and they will respond to your email as soon as possible.
    Regards udbrky (Chris)

Nope, my database entirely consists of hands from Merge.

The total 'average' in the bottom of that column you circled is not the same thing as the Mean or Median - Using Median vs. Average

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy71 View Post
    The total 'average' in the bottom of that column you circled is not the same thing as the Mean or Median - Using Median vs. Average
    But that article is talking about the difference between median and average. I do understand that they are different numbers used in different ways. As far as I understand though, average is synonym for mean ... at least according to Wikipedia and a bunch of other sources online:
    In mathematics and statistics, the arithmetic mean ... or simply the mean or average when the context is clear, is the sum of a collection of numbers divided by the number of numbers in the collection.
    So unless I'm not understanding what that 27.2 stat is supposed to represent in my report above, shouldn't that number at the bottom of the column match the mean (though not the median) on the lower right?

HM Q.A & Testing Manager random's Avatar

Hello,

Average in the report above is calculated from VPIP values and then adjusted for number of hands. If you have a player with 1 mllion hands and 10% vpip, and 1 player with 100 hands and 20% vpip, average in report will not show 15%, but instead just slightly above 10%, because number of hands for 10% was so much higher.

In the group profile/graph below, we look at each player as an equal member of the player pool, as long as player has minimum required number of hands. Here Mean value would be 15% for the same example above.

Hope this explains the report functionality sufficiently.

If you have any further questions, please let us know.

Yes, it does, perfectly. Thanks for the explanation! I was just assuming the # at the bottom of the column was the a reflection of each player being equally weighted. Cheers!

You are very welcome. Thank you for letting us know it solved your problems. It helps us when crafting future replies to other customers with similar problems.

Good luck at the tables. If you have any further questions or problems do not hesitate to ask us.
    Regards udbrky (Chris)