restoring customized HUD from old machine

Default restoring customized HUD from old machine

So I'm an idiot and hadn't backed up my database or my customized HUD in a long time, and my old machine basically died. I'm able to get to all of files on the hard drive, but because of other hardware problems the computer will not run Windows, thus will not run HM2 nor allow me to export my old HUD which I had invested a lot of time in.

Is there a way to extract customized HUDs from the files in an old hard drive without first exporting it while running HM2? Thanks.

You need to find your prefs.xml file from C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\HoldemManager\Co nfig. If your Windows is hiding known file extensions the file will simply be called 'prefs'. If you can't see it, turn off the windows option that is hiding that directory. http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questio...es+in+Windows+

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy71 View Post
    You need to find your prefs.xml file from C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\HoldemManager\Co nfig. If your Windows is hiding known file extensions the file will simply be called 'prefs'.
    Got it. I cut & pasted that file from the old HD into the corresponding folder of the new machine. When I restarted HM, the HUD layouts did in fact appear exactly as before, but none of the popups did. How do I get those over to the new computer? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rowhousepd View Post
    Got it. I cut & pasted that file from the old HD into the corresponding folder of the new machine. When I restarted HM, the HUD layouts did in fact appear exactly as before, but none of the popups did. How do I get those over to the new computer? Thanks.
    Oh, right my bad. Those are the .pop files in the same folder where you got the prefs.xml file.

Bingo! Thanks, that did the trick. If I do a regular (full) backup of a database with all of the boxes checked, I assume it will import both Huds, popups, etc., and there's no need to export & save HUDs separately, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by rowhousepd View Post
    Bingo! Thanks, that did the trick. If I do a regular (full) backup of a database with all of the boxes checked, I assume it will import both Huds, popups, etc., and there's no need to export & save HUDs separately, correct?
    Correct. Those files (prefs.xml and various .pop files) will be contained in the backup file that is created and you can actually verify this yourself by unzipping the .pghembk file with 7zip and browsing the extracted files.