NC Speed Comparison - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    No direction but to trust the final destination

NC purges the older part of it's cache whenever it gets too big. I know HEM does its own cache for HUD stats but I am not aware of what their algorithm is for purging old data.

The NC options you mention won't affect the size of the NC cache
    NoteCaddy Manual | Coaching Packs | Blog
    NoteCaddy experts: a.k.aAlso, Catalyst_Kh, Derders, karstenkloss, scoobediah (NoteCaddy Edge)

Is there any possibility to manually set the size of the cache and when it is "too big"?

I am happy with letting HM2/nc use 10 GB more RAM, i would even buy 128 GB more RAM if it helps. Unfortunately a RAM-disc does not help and the heavy calculations during the cache rebuilding process are freezing my whole system.

I think nc cache does play an important role as i did not experience laggs like that before i start using nc with even bigger DB two years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by strikerman View Post
    My point is different. My popup loading time is not increasing with a restart of HM2. It is increasing during playing/session. It is getting better by restarting HM2.
    Nono that's what I meant to. Load time is reset with HM2 restart and then increasing.

For now my old recommendation persists. For HM2 and notecaddy, get a CPU with maximum single core IPC like the i7-4790k or the i7-6700k at high clock rates, 8 GB of RAM and a cheap SSD 250 GB or bigger. If you want to process many notes the more cores the better, but on the tables the only important thing is the single thread performance.
    Wow, Thank you very much for these details!
    I just purchased Note Caddy and I am having an impossible time using it. When I run on even just 4 tables playing MTTs, my CPU usages spikes up into the 90-99% area and I have no idea why. Everything also crawls to a halt on my computer.

My current PC setup is as follows:

AMD FX(tm)-8150 Eight Core Processor 3.60GHz
    Installed Memory: 16GB DDR2 Ram
    64 Bit OS
    AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series Graphic Card
    110GB SSD Hard Disk that I have HEM installed on

1) Would purchasing an i7 definitively fix this isssue?

2) and as I am not a computer expert which i7 is better, the 4790 or the 6700?

3) If I'm playing multiple tables with notecaddy processing notes on each table, would I be better to get a quad core PC?

I have an 8 core PC currently but it's not handling it well at all.

Any help greatly aprpeciated as I just purchased note caddy and have not yet been able to use it

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hold1Time View Post
    1) Would purchasing an i7 definitively fix this isssue?

2) and as I am not a computer expert which i7 is better, the 4790 or the 6700?

3) If I'm playing multiple tables with notecaddy processing notes on each table, would I be better to get a quad core PC?

I have an 8 core PC currently but it's not handling it well at all.

Any help greatly aprpeciated as I just purchased note caddy and have not yet been able to use it

Thanks!!
    to 1. Yes, definitely will solve it, even an I3 or I5 would do a better job than your current CPU. AMD's single-core performance is a mess

to 2. I'd go for the I7 6700k. Also there's almost no difference in terms of performance to the I7 4790k, the 4790k is on socket 1155 which is a dead end as the new generation uses a different socket.

to 3. Every desktop I7 is at least a quad-core, so nothing to worry here. In case youplan to go for a laptop....don't do it. Desktop computers are for Poker-software the better choice.

I would also go for the i7-6700k. It has nearly doulbe the single thread performance than you AMD fx and the multithreading speed is also better. AMD is very weak right now and the number of cores not comparable with Intel CPUs.

For your actual system do the following:
    - Google alan jacksons notecaddy spped guide and follow it.
    - In the notecaddy options reduce the used cores to 2 or 3 while you are playing poker and use all cores just when you import hands without playing poker. If this does not help disable notecaddy start and hh processing when HM2 starts.
    - before you start a poker session, close HM2 and restart it.
    - also check if there is at least 20% free space on your SSD. Maybe get a bigger one with at least 250 GB, DBs with nc can take up some space. Also use the pgadmin maintenence vacuum and reindex like in the guides for HM DB maintenance.
    Last edited by strikerman; 05-24-2016 at 08:07 AM.

I got my hands on a rapid fast Intel 750 400 GB SSD, which is currently the fastest consumer driver you can get for 4k read/writes and should perform well for db tasks. I am running normally a Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512 GB.

I mirrored my db for testing and found out, that both the ms in the log files for finding stats and opening a popup and the time until stats appear on the table were very very close. That was surprising as the Samsung is just an SATA 3 drive and the Intel is an NVMe PCIe 3.0 drive.

So the storage speed is not a bottleneck, what also explains that the guy in the linked thread was not successful with a ramdisk.
    To find the bottleneck i changed the core frequency of my CPU and the result was, that a 10 % increase in speed of 400 MHz to 4.4 GHz did result in approximately 10 % faster HUD loading times. The CPU single core speed and IPC seems to be the bottleneck when opening up popups and loading notes from the db.
    The overall CPU usage of my 6 core system was under 20%, the 16 GB RAM were filled 65 % at max.
    did you happen to see any notable difference in Note creation speeds or when analyzing notes? I am not sure if you looked at this at the time. I am looking at getting a new laptop and I am debating on making the plunge to get a laptop that is PCIe compatible but they are a lot more money and if there is little to know difference I will stick with good old mSATA SSD.

No, i did not see any difference, as stated in the first post. But HM3 will be out in the future, so maybe you still want this option when the software uses more actual hardware.

Do you use samsung rapid mode? Can you test with it on and off?

Samsung Rapid Mode and the other similar programs from other SSD manufacturers is pointless besides benchmarks. There is plenty of information on each SSD testing website: No real life improvements in performance.
    It is more like a ramdisk. And other users in this forum already reported that using a ramdisk for HM2 + DB ect. does not increase performance. The single core performance of the CPU is the bottleneck.
    Last edited by strikerman; 08-18-2016 at 11:52 PM.