Hm2 Window borders
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hm2 Window borders

Hi,

Using windows 8.1 and I noticed the edges of HM2 look like it's win98. How do I make the app look like win 8. Adding a screenshot to see what I mean.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My HM2 does not look like that on Win 7 (see attached image).

2015-04-13_9-34-29.png

1 - Make sure windows is fully updated until 'No New Important Updates are Found' (this may require multiple restarts and multiple 'check for updates'), including Internet Explorer (even if you use a different web browser).
    2 - Update your graphics drivers - http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questio...hicsCardDriver
    3 - Enable desktop composition - Enable or Disable Desktop Composition ~ Windows 7 Support
    4 - Set desktop to an aero theme:
    - W7 - How To Enable Window Transparency (Aero) On Windows 7 - Windows - Windows 7
    - W8 - How To Enable Aero Glass-Style Transparency in Windows 8

My HM2 has the same problem for a long time too. I even have a new computer with win 8.1, ofc. fully updated (inc. nvidia driver). Downloading new beta HM2 didnt help either. HM2 is the only app that I've experienced this problem with, so I'm sure the problem is on your side, but I don't have any idea how to debug this. By any chance, isn't there a way for you to include a script into the app that checks whether the HM2 window has aero or not?

And by the way, the main windows is the only one having this problem. If I open for example Settings, the subwindow has aero.

This is a minor thing that we have not looked into.

It does show in the log file that desktop composition is disabled if you are not using an aero theme.
    Regards udbrky (Chris)

I can't find "desktop" / "composition" mentioned in any of my logs. Also, are all other windows 8.1 users without this problem?

I wonder if it only affects the visual side of the main window, because if it runs in some mode with reduced graphics, it might be one of the reasons why my client is still lagging so much (compared to any other windows app), e.g. when resizing or switching tabs, even though I have a new computer now.

It seems to be windows theme related.

It would say at the top "DWM is disabled" and you need to have it enabled/aero theme running, or else there are issues.
    Regards udbrky (Chris)

I can't find "dwm" mentioned either. My main log is:
    Pastebin.com 1jEGCyFm
    I have custom theme made directly in windows 8.1 (64bit) without any special external tools.
    steve_windows_themes.png

Also, my entire win 8.1 looks bad with the "aero" recommendation in the second post of this thread (W8 - How To Enable Aero Glass-Style Transparency in Windows 8), so I'm not sure if that was supposed to be an actual HM2 fix.

As I said earlier, other subwindows of HM2 work correctly, so this anomaly only happens in the main window. I think some "redraw" function could fix it. I don't know if you've used some unusual method to create the window instance, but it lags too much and I'm sure there will be more people having this problem.

(duplicated post, please remove)
    Last edited by scscpoker; 06-01-2015 at 09:29 AM.

The desktop composition warning would be in the alerts.txt file and not the log.txt file. I do see you have avast installed. Have you tried to uninstall/replace it and see if it helps? Avast causes major issues. It blocks the database folder, keeping us from writing to it. In some cases, we have seen Avast corrupt Windows to the point the hard drive needs to be reformatted. We do not recommend using it at any time. We recommend Microsoft Security Essentials or Kaspersky for the lowest chance of HM2 conflicts while staying protected against viruses.

My alerts.txt file does not mention it either:
    6/1/2015 3:38:07 PM|3|600|Not licensed for Omaha|Your HM2 license only supports Holdem but you are playing Omaha. You may wish to consider upgrading your license.

Click the help icon to take you to the HM2 store.|https://www.holdemmanager.com/store/login.php|False

Is there really a chance that my antivirus actually blocks the visual side of program, desktop composition (only in the main window and not in subwindows), even though HM2 is the only application where I've ever experienced this? I tried to disable all shields, but I won't reinstall it just based on this suspicion. (There were some problems like 100% disk usage that I had to tweak by changing configs - I'm not saying Avast is perfect, but it works great now )

My database connection works correctly (and if it didn't, it would also mean that everyone who ever runs PostgreSQL database would be unable to connect with Avast installed, which doesn't happen). About the Windows corruption, can you provide some references about when and how did it happen? Avast is one of the leading antiviruses and I don't see people having such severe problems. (I've had problem with Avast about 10 years ago, but it is totally different now.)

Also I don't get the recommendations. Microsoft security essentials cannot be even called antivirus as it provides bare minimum security, and Kaspersky is not free. Sorry, but desktop composition problem in HM2 is not a good reason to change the antivirus in my whole computer.