HM2 eats my SSD life

Default HM2 eats my SSD life

Hi,

HM2 in combination with Windows Pagefile enabled results in huge disk writes.

After a session of like 4k hands i get around 250Gb of lifetime writes on my ssd.

Does anyone else have this issue ? (check pagefile.sys in task manager's resource monitor)
    Last edited by KissMyAceMD; 03-26-2015 at 04:46 AM.

We had one other user reporting this via email but I was not able to duplicate the problem. Which Operating System, Firewall, and AntiVirus are you using? If you disable the pagefile and/or hibernation does it resolve the problem?

If you continue to have problems, please duplicate the issue and send us log files with a detailed description of what you were doing and what problems you were experiencing:
    - Open Windows Event Viewer's - Windows Logs - Applications.
    - Check for any errors and send the information (Save All Events As...).
    - Please send a log file as well - http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...ger+Support%3F

Has anyone else experienced this?

I just bought a new system:

MSI GE70 2PL (Apache)-473 Intel® Core™ I7 Processor, 8Gb RAM, 1Tb Hard Drive, 128Gb Solid State Drive, NVidia Geforce GTX 850M 2Gb Dedicated Graphics, 17.3 Inch Laptop...

and it wasn't cheap... now the OP's post is worrying me a bit...

Should I install HM2 on my 1TB (7200 RPM) drive instead?

We have only had 2 reports of this so far and none of our employees/testers can duplicate the problem so you shouldn't have anything to worry about though I would have recommend you buy a bigger SSD for a poker machine. They are so much cheaper now than they used to be, bigger ones often perform better than their smaller counterparts and you need plenty of free space for things like backup/restore, export/purge, etc as HM2 and PostgreSQL will use the system free space and windows temp directories during these tasks.

I wish money grew on my tree like yours.. I just forked out over £1000 for my system last week... still yet needs to be broken in
    besides i have a 1TB HDD too... so no need yet to get a new SSD

then maybe postgres should be able to be configured to use an alternative drive for those tasks?

Quote Originally Posted by Loz702 View Post
    I wish money grew on my tree like yours.. I just forked out over £1000 for my system last week... still yet needs to be broken in
    besides i have a 1TB HDD too... so no need yet to get a new SSD

then maybe postgres should be able to be configured to use an alternative drive for those tasks?
    If you have any problems with those tasks you can try moving the windows temp directories that we use for these database procedures to another drive that has more free space - http://forums.holdemmanager.com/gene...t-working.html

Move the pagefile to your 1 TB HDD.
    On your SSD set the Virtual Memory to "None" ("no paging file").

Then on the regular HDD set a custom size of 1.5x the amount of RAM you have.
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

What's the size of your SSD?

A SSD can handle 10.000 * the size of the SSD in write operations. After this you can still read data from the SSD, but you can no longer write data. (same applies to USB memory sticks)

In the first generation of SSDs, for example a (small) 30 GB SSD. If you would use that drive as a professional data server, and you'd generate 240 GB in writes a DAY. The lifespan of the drive would be (10.000 * 30)/240 = 1250 days. (only 3.4 years)

The degradation of a SSD due to too many write operations was a real issue with these drives.
    However it is only noticeable in the first generation of these small SSDs.

If you have a for example 256 GB SSD, you install both Windows and PostgreSQL on the drive--> Windows generates 10 GB writes a day, PostgreSQL generates 230 GB writes a day, your drive has a lifespan of (10.000 * 256)/240 = 10666 days (29 years)
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here