2 computers, 1 HEM2 and Syncing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2 computers, 1 HEM2 and Syncing

I tried putting HEM2 on a laptop awhile ago and had problems and gave up.

I've bought a new laptop and have installed HEM2. Have yet to test it.

I believe I have the thinking right, that if I sync my HEM2, the hands will show up on my new laptop.

I started syncing on my desktop, it ran all night and has done 322 batches of 10919 @ 7h/s. I'm assuming this is going to take awhile. Should I copy my hands onto an external drive from my desktop and manually download them to the laptop first? Then put the laptop off to the side and let it sync for a week? Do I have to sync both?

If someone has a better way, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Please see this FAQ to transfer/backup data:

http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...dem+Manager%3F

This will ensure that you have your hand histories and HUD saved to import into a new computer, and as a backup to restore in case of an emergency.

There are a variety of known issues with the HM Sync Beta feature where the results are not syncing properly for some customers. We are planning to completely re-work the HM Sync feature using code from our new HM Cloud application but I don't have an ETA for when this will be implemented. In the meantime while we wait for the new sync system you will need to manually sync your hands on both PCs. Here is a FAQ explaining how to best keep your original hands on both computers so you can easily sync the hands manually - http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...+Using+Dropbox

ok...don't get it. Sync'd both computers.

Should I not have all the hands that I have on the desktop, on the laptop as well? I know I have villians on desk that have k's of hands...on laptop, only have what I've played.

Tried linking computers to share database, backup/restore and it's not working as they said.

Have to get external to save to I guess.

Didn't think I'd have to manually upload HH's to new laptop.

You don't need an external drive necessarily, you can use something like dropbox or googledrive to share the database backup file if you don't have a USB drive to transfer it. It is unclear to me if your problems are with HM Sync or the backup/restored database. If neither worked for some reason then I would recommend you copy the \HM2Archive folder and import the original hand history files. All original hands that are auto-imported get moved to an archive for performance reasons. Your \HM2Archive is in C:\HM2Archive by default, but you may have put it anywhere. The archive should be organized by \Month\DayOfMonth (example: D:\HM2Archive\2009\07\31) or if it was auto-imported with 7283+ it would be in \HM2Archive\SiteName\YYYY\MM\DD.

Please try to vacuum/analyze and reindex your database - http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...29#maintenance

If you continue to have problems, try the following:
    Try creating a new DataBase and import a small portion of your \HM2Archive so you can see if the problem exists in the new DB - http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...y+played+hands

I think my whole problem started with Dropbox. Had everything going there so I could access from the two computers. Didn't work. Now I have a Dropbox that is full and they want x amount a month to make it bigger. Not worth it. Now I'm trying to get my hands out of it and back on my puter...not having any luck.

Having trouble, or understanding HEM Sync. If I sync my laptop to your cloud, then sync my desktop to your cloud, should I not have the same hands etc on both computers?

Trying to do a database backup on desktop, put it on flash drive, if I can...and restore to laptop. ahhhhhhhg....all this work for someone not good at puters so I can use it when not home......

What happens when you cut the folder on dropbox and paste it on another drive?

Why can't you remove it from dropbox? It's just like any other storage folder on your computer.
    Regards udbrky (Chris)

I can download from dropbox to my computer...but only one at a time. I don't know the right terminology, but when you click on an item, hold shift and highlite all.....then hit copy, delete or whatever???? I can't do that to download off dropbox. Says "file to big" so it would take me forever. When I try to copy in Dropbox, I get a dialog box to "which I want to copy to" and it's all just in Dropbox, not to copy and paste on mine.

But am I thinking this right, that if I sync both computers....I have everything on both then? Seems like no...but I thought that was what suppose to happen. ???

I've backed up database....just need an external to copy on and restore on laptop. As I said...I've tried following instructions I've found on the net, to try and get them hooked in a Network so I could just share, but it's not working for me. Doing something wrong I take it.

Quote Originally Posted by ez2cy View Post
    I can download from dropbox to my computer...but only one at a time. I don't know the right terminology, but when you click on an item, hold shift and highlite all.....then hit copy, delete or whatever???? I can't do that to download off dropbox. Says "file to big" so it would take me forever. When I try to copy in Dropbox, I get a dialog box to "which I want to copy to" and it's all just in Dropbox, not to copy and paste on mine.
    Is this in their web interface or on your computer via windows explorer? Dropbox doesn't actually 'move' any files off your computer, it just uploads them to the dropbox server from a folder on your computer. The original files should still be on your computer in their original folder location or the \Dropbox folder you created or copied them to.

But am I thinking this right, that if I sync both computers....I have everything on both then? Seems like no...but I thought that was what suppose to happen. ???

I've backed up database....just need an external to copy on and restore on laptop. As I said...I've tried following instructions I've found on the net, to try and get them hooked in a Network so I could just share, but it's not working for me. Doing something wrong I take it.
    How big is the backup file? The free version of dropbox is only 2GB but filedropper is 5gb, box.com is 10gb, googledrive is 15gb if you don't have a cheap USB thumb drive laying around that is big enough to transfer the backup file.

11.4 GB is the size of the Backup

So, if I"m understanding this right, my HH's etc are two big for syncying?

Should I use an external drive to save and archive all my hands and just plug it into which ever computer I'm using?

I'll look up googledrive. The drop box I had was costing money so I left it. I'm not a big enough stakes player to be paying out over $10/ month just for storage.

I apoligize for you having to deal with a moron....LOL

Well this is fun. Found Google Drive, downloaded on both computers, dragged and dropped my HEM2 backup as it told me in the tuturial.....now it's lost in hyper space.......uhhhhhhhhhhggg

Start HEM2 back up again.......god I hate )$#(@@_ computers...LOL
    Last edited by ez2cy; 12-17-2014 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Found Google Drive

Quote Originally Posted by ez2cy View Post
    11.4 GB is the size of the Backup

So, if I"m understanding this right, my HH's etc are two big for syncying?
    No. I think you are confused perhaps. A database backup and your \HM2Archive of original hands are two different things and neither has anything to do with the HM Sync beta feature. HM Sync is something we tried when HM2 was launched and it has always had issues. We hope to eventually completely re-code it to work better but it is a very low priority project. A database backup is a postgresql backup of the database that contains your hands, player/hand notes, settings, etc and is generally easier and faster to restore that instead of importing all of the original hands from your archive folder.

Should I use an external drive to save and archive all my hands and just plug it into which ever computer I'm using?
    I can not recommend this process and it wouldn't really help you to solve your syncing issues. Using dropbox, googledrive, or some other cloud based storage system to sync your \HM2Archive folder between all of your computers is the easiest way to make sure all of the computers have all of the original hand history files all the time so they can be manually imported to sync your hands in different databases.

I'll look up googledrive. The drop box I had was costing money so I left it. I'm not a big enough stakes player to be paying out over $10/ month just for storage.

I apoligize for you having to deal with a moron....LOL

Well this is fun. Found Google Drive, downloaded on both computers, dragged and dropped my HEM2 backup as it told me in the tuturial.....now it's lost in hyper space.......uhhhhhhhhhhggg

Start HEM2 back up again.......god I hate )$#(@@_ computers...LOL
    Googledrive is just a folder on your computer that is synced on their servers so that the same folder on multiple computers has the same files. Your file(s) are still on your computer in that folder. They don't get moved to the cloud and 'lost in hyper space'. I am not sure if you are trying to transfer the backup file or the \hm2archive folder but it should still be on the original computer in it's original folder if you copied it to the googledrive/dropbox folder. If you moved it instead of copying it then it should still be in that googledrive/dropbox folder.