can

Thread: can

Default can

Hey, major problems:

UBER fresh Win 8.1, all updates installed

turned off Firewall and Windows Defender

Tried to install the Combo installer HEM/PostgreSQL

->couldn't install postgreSQL

->followed some steps in another thread that tried to solve the problem and advised to uninstall postgreSQL...

tried to do do that, then I get the following:

There has been an error
    Element <value> can onl contain alphanumeric or `_´characters, but
    its current value is ´FrenchxxCOMMAxxxxSPxxCongoxxSPxx[DRC]´

I have 2 256 GB SSD, Windows is on C and I tried to run the installer on (the combo one) on E: because I´ve read that that is better.
    Last edited by lolpoker; 10-19-2014 at 10:48 AM.

One of the SSD drives is the C drive and the other is the E Drive? Or are they in a RAID configuration and both combine to make one of those letter drives? Our installer will only install psql to the C drive. You downloaded a different psql installer from postgresql.org?

1) Uninstall PostgreSQL from the Windows Control Panel.
    2) run the command - start > programs > accessories > command prompt > right-click > run as administrator

PHP Code:
    net user postgres /delete 

4) reboot.
    5) Install PostgreSQL 9.0 or 9.2 from postgresql.org - Download PostgreSQL | EnterpriseDB

This will let you pick the drive/path for both postgresql and the data directory but make sure you are installing to one of the SSD drives.

Ok:

I have TWO seperate SSDs! C and E.

I WANTED to install PostgreSQL and HEM 2 on E. I now see that that did not work and that PostgreSQL was (partly) installed on C.

Please read carefully:

I can NOT follow your instructions because, as stated in my original post, I CAN NOT uninstall PostgreSQL. If I try to do so I get the following error message:

Element <value> can only contain alphanumeric or `_´characters, but
    its current value is ´FrenchxxCOMMAxxxxSPxxCongoxxSPxx[DRC]´

----

From here on forward my questions are twofold:

1. IN GENERAL, for best performance, how SHOULD I set up my system given my two seperate SSDs with 256GB each? I would be grateful for recommendations here, regarding where to install PostgreSQL, Holdemmanager 2 and the Poker Clients Software.
    Thank you!

2. How do I go about my partly installed PostgreSQL now, given the error message I receive?

I tried to uninstall it manually through the Win 8 uninstall tool and with the uninstall icon in the Postgres files.

Should I just erase the files and perform the command net user postgres /delete ?!?!

I did overlook that 'uninstall' mention in your OP so I apologize for that. I thought it was a general or install errror, not an uninstall specific error.

1. IN GENERAL, for best performance, how SHOULD I set up my system given my two seperate SSDs with 256GB each? I would be grateful for recommendations here, regarding where to install PostgreSQL, Holdemmanager 2 and the Poker Clients Software.Thank you!

2. How do I go about my partly installed PostgreSQL now, given the error message I receive?
    1 - Where the poker clients are installed won't really affect the performance so it would probably be easiest to just install them to the C drive with Windows and other programs (like HM2). I would use the E drive SSD for nothing but postgresql for optimal performance and keep all other program installed on the C drive.

You can install (once you solve the uninstall problem) postgresql's program files on the C drive and the \Data directory on the E drive or install everything postgresql related to the E drive. I am not sure which (or if either) method will yield the best performance. That may be a question for a postgresql specific forum or the power users in our notecaddy sub-forum.

2 - I am not familiar with this uninstall error and neither are any of the other techs that are online today. Have you tried using revo uninstaller? If that doesn't work you may need to google search that error and see if you can find a solution on a postgresql specific forum where others have had similar errors. Please let us know if/how you solve it. If you can't solve the error I can try to ask some of our other techs that are not online today if they know or possibly try asking some of the developers tomorrow when they are more likely to be online.

Okay,

I solved the problem with manually deleting the PostgreSQL files on :C, deleting the user via cmd, and checking for registry entrys (that did not exist)

----

Another question I have is about where to install HEM2

When I install HEM2 on C:, - should I then store the database on E?! Or just leave it on C?

For some reason I thought that it is best to have BOTH HEM2 AND PostgreSQL on E, away from the OS on C.

Should I change that back? Or do you think it`ll be fine?

Thank you

You want to have them on the fastest disk in your system. Space limits are the only other factor. It won't make a difference if it's on C or E.
    Regards udbrky (Chris)