HM freezes after playing for a while

Default HM freezes after playing for a while

Hi!, I have this problem of freeze generally when I multitable, after being playing for a while (15 to 60 min). Seems like the HUD still working, I can click on it and see the stats (but not adding new hands) but I can't open the HM and I can't close it neither. I must close it by going to process, right click on HoldemManager.exe and finish process.

I did a new database, thinking that could be the problem, but it persists

Thoughts ?

I'm really sorry and I know there is nothing more frustrating than having issues like this when trying to play. I hope i can help you resolve this quickly.

What is your hard drive model, RAM and CPU? You can find this in your Control Panel - System - Device Manager. Sometimes lower spec PC's can contribute to lagging but that is not to say we can't still improve it further.

Are you running Notecaddy also and do you have many definitions or use any of the NC Edge or NC Advantage packages? Those can also have an impact on large database with large definitions.
    If you do I would suggest reading this thread which will help improve the performance when using NC:
    NoteCaddy speed improvement - Assaultware Wiki

In the meantime while you reply with those details I have a couple of things you can try that will improve the performance of your PC in general and may help if this scanning is the cause of the issues your seeing.

Please check these 2 FAQs and try all the steps there to see if they help:
    - http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...%28Firewall%29 - Resolves issues where security software continually try to scan files and processes which can slow down your PC
    - http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...rts+%26+HUD%29 - General tips and solutions for performance issues

A few other things you could try to see if it helps when playing:
    - Try leaving HM2 on the 'Home' tab when playing.
    - Try picking a villain in the reports that only has a few hands in your database instead of your hero and restart HM2.
    - Try creating a new smaller database with just hands from the past 1 or 2 months to use when playing.

If you continue to have problems, please reproduce the problem, describe exactly what you were doing, and attach your log.txt file -
    http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...ger+Support%3F

Fozzy71 thanks a lot for your help!, I can see an improvement doing what "NoteCaddy speed improvement - Assaultware Wiki" says (mainly "Setting PostgresSQL to work optimally"), and "General tips and solutions for performance issues"

Better performance, but still freezing after a while.

CPU: Intel Core i7-2670QM @2.20 Gz
    RAM: 8gb
    Hard drive model: toshiba mk7575gsx

* I have a problem trying to see the "total runtime" item in the column chooser of the Notecaddy. I already delete the file noteDefinitionsLayout.xml, but still no appears. Should I reset the notes to factory settings too?

Quote Originally Posted by AndRoid View Post
    Fozzy71 thanks a lot for your help!, I can see an improvement doing what "NoteCaddy speed improvement - Assaultware Wiki" says (mainly "Setting PostgresSQL to work optimally"), and "General tips and solutions for performance issues"

Better performance, but still freezing after a while.

CPU: Intel Core i7-2670QM @2.20 Gz
    RAM: 8gb
    Hard drive model: toshiba mk7575gsx

* I have a problem trying to see the "total runtime" item in the column chooser of the Notecaddy. I already delete the file noteDefinitionsLayout.xml, but still no appears. Should I reset the notes to factory settings too?
    The total runtime column was removed in NC 2.5.

Does it help you disable the Options > Settings > General Settings > Miscellaneous > [ ] 'Automatically Refresh' option and restart HM2?

Did you try any of the other 3 suggestions where you stay on the Home tab when you start HM2? Or pick a villain with a few hands and restart HM2 and then test staying on the Home tab vs going to the Reports? Or using a smaller database?

How many hands are in your current database? You have plenty of RAM so we could try to force HM2 to use more or less RAM if you have a large database but your hard drive is only 5400RPM so that is going to be a bit of a performance bottle neck.

Thank you for the feedback so far and let us know if any of the other suggestions seem to help so we can add any new comments to the internal document where we are tracking these issues so we can make an action plan for the developers.

Yes, disabling the "Automatically refresh" helps a lot, much less lag. I think the 3 suggestions + making a new database were the key (8k hands in the new one, 200k in the old one), no more freeze at the moment!.
    Thanks a lot again Fozzy!

"The total runtime column was removed in NC 2.5."

How to know then which definitions could be slowing down the HM?
    Last edited by AndRoid; 10-27-2014 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AndRoid View Post
    Yes, disabling the "Automatically refresh" helps a lot, much less lag. I think the 3 suggestions + making a new database were the key (8k hands in the new one, 200k in the old one), no more freeze at the moment!.
    Thanks a lot again Fozzy!
    Thank you for the feedback. I have added the information to our internal tracking document for this problem and once we have some suggestions or possible solutions that might solve this problem we will be in touch.

"The total runtime column was removed in NC 2.5."

How to know then which definitions could be slowing down the HM?
    You will need to ask the NC Developer/Support that question in their dedicated forum - http://forums.holdemmanager.com/notecaddy/

No direction but to trust the final destination

Individual definitions can slow down note creation speed significantly. The following are ways that this can happen:

-Too many notes. If you have a definition that takes a note for every player in every hand, you should expect a slowdown since NoteCaddy has to merge it and then write back to the database
    -Looking at player stats. If you filter by player types then there is a good chance that the associated color definition looks at player stats. If the color definition is using compiled stats then the slowdown will not be particularly severe. However, if it is using stats from the "HM2 stats" tab then the slowdown is likely to be significant. The reason for this is how HM2 computes players stats . HM2 loads every hand for a player and recalculates the stats in real time. This system has many benefits but it will undoubtedly cause a slowdown, particularly if you're trying to breeze through millions of hands. Consequently, the more hands a player has the more time it will take his stats to load.
    NoteCaddy Manual | Coaching Packs | Blog
    NoteCaddy experts: a.k.aAlso, Catalyst_Kh, Derders, karstenkloss, scoobediah (NoteCaddy Edge)

Thanks srenticentv!. I don't use color definitions neither too many note definitions. How to know then which definitions could be slowing down the HM? Should "Total instances" be a reliable indicator of this? (is "total instances" the closest to "total runtime"?)

No direction but to trust the final destination

That is correct
    NoteCaddy Manual | Coaching Packs | Blog
    NoteCaddy experts: a.k.aAlso, Catalyst_Kh, Derders, karstenkloss, scoobediah (NoteCaddy Edge)