PostgreSQL Issues - Beyond Frustrated with HEM!!!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I have had Norton for 3+ years and have bought HEM about a month ago.... Maybe we should sue Norton for not indicating that HEM doesn't work with it.....? Are you honestly saying before purchasing any software people should proactively search to see what other software causes issues because the software you are purchasing doesn't indicate it?? Geez.... any other programs besides Norton I need to do this for when purchasing new software??

fozzy thanks for looking into this and trying to help. Can you private message me so we can arrange time for a call this week?
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by romewashington View Post
    I have had Norton for 3+ years and have bought HEM about a month ago.... Maybe we should sue Norton for not indicating that HEM doesn't work with it.....? Are you honestly saying before purchasing any software people should proactively search to see what other software causes issues because the software you are purchasing doesn't indicate it?? Geez.... any other programs besides Norton I need to do this for when purchasing new software??
    In answer to your question... "Yes". Just about all the free AV products & many of the paid-for products are an absolute disgrace.

Norton [and a dozen other similar lazy products] don't intelligently scan files that are downloading/downloaded for genuine threats. When you try to download/install s/ware with Norton AV running, the installer will be compared against Norton’s reputation database & if it doesn't have a sufficient “reputation” it will cause Norton to display a warning and remove your download before it can be installed. A low reputation score often only means the product is "new" - it just counts the number of times the same file is downloaded. But "new" is a moveable feast since a piece of software can be on the market for twenty years & but as far as Norton is concerned every update is a "new" product that starts with a reputation score of zero. Norton doesn't track the reputation of the download source you used [it doesn't even "know" where you got the file from] & it does adapt quickly to user "false positive" reports for products which don't have a huge user base.

Back in 2007 a Norton virus signature update resulted in the removal of harmless Windows OS files rendering thousands of PCs unbootable!

This is a major problem for software developers. HM2 is a complex product that is constantly being updated to interface with multiple poker sites/skins, with multiple internal modules & with an active database. It's orders of magnitude more complex from an interconnections perspective than any other software on your PC. These multiple pokers sites/skins keep changing the way their poker clients are served up to the customer a few times a year. They keep changing the way HH are written, the date/time formats or the way the tables are named, coloured, sized, skinned etc. Then there's new poker games ~ handfuls of them every year with new payout structures & other little individual tweaks It's a nightmare.

Products like Norton are a necessary evil for most users out there who don't have a clue about internet safety, but the truth is these AV products are thick as a brick & work on a "shoot first ask questions later" basis. An intelligent careful PC user such as yourself does not need a bludgeon like Norton [or its cousins] to operate on the internet safely.

Here is an interesting article with many comments underneath to give you an idea of the problem from a software developer perspective. I hope you find it interesting & informative:-
    Antivirus companies cause a big headache to small developers.

As Loki, Hossehandai, and Fozzy have said, Norton causes a lot of issues. In our experience in working with many customers, with many antiviruses, the two that do not cause issue are Microsoft Security Essentials and Kaspersky.

If you uninstall Norton, and it works, then Norton is the problem. If Norton is causing this issue with us, then what else is it causing issue with? If it does not work still, then we can look into what is.

Please uninstall, try reinstalling Postgres. If it continues, then complete these steps and email support@holdemmanager.com:

Please let us know when you are available in GMT time for a teamviewer session. Please remember that we schedule a couple days in advance and need to fit into our schedules. So give us a few days' range of times and notice.

GMT: Greenwich Mean Time - World Time / Time in every Time Zone

This link will help you convert your time.

Please read this important information before our teamviewer session. We cannot do the teamviewer session until all those issues are addressed below:
    1 Make sure you have updated your windows using the Windows Update feature Microsoft Windows Update Please keep checking for updates until windows shows twice five minutes apart that there are no more updates.
    2 Make sure Holdem Manager is updated to the latest version Downloads and Manuals - Hold'Em Manager, Omaha Manager & HM Apps
    3 Please make sure you have access to a good connection, we cannot provide support on really slow connections
    4 - Please allow us full access otherwise it slows down the speed at which we can fix the issue
    Please download this version, it's the only one compatible with our version.

http://www.holdemmanager.com/Downloa..._5.1.13999.exe

After the meeting is set up, then

Please email the ID and password 5-10 minutes before.
    Regards udbrky (Chris)

Quote Originally Posted by udbrky View Post
    As Loki, Hossehandai, and Fozzy have said, Norton causes a lot of issues. In our experience in working with many customers, with many antiviruses, the two that do not cause issue are Microsoft Security Essentials and Kaspersky.

If you uninstall Norton, and it works, then Norton is the problem. If Norton is causing this issue with us, then what else is it causing issue with? If it does not work still, then we can look into what is.

Please uninstall, try reinstalling Postgres. If it continues, then complete these steps and email support@holdemmanager.com:

Please let us know when you are available in GMT time for a teamviewer session. Please remember that we schedule a couple days in advance and need to fit into our schedules. So give us a few days' range of times and notice.

GMT: Greenwich Mean Time - World Time / Time in every Time Zone

This link will help you convert your time.

Please read this important information before our teamviewer session. We cannot do the teamviewer session until all those issues are addressed below:
    1 Make sure you have updated your windows using the Windows Update feature Microsoft Windows Update Please keep checking for updates until windows shows twice five minutes apart that there are no more updates.
    2 Make sure Holdem Manager is updated to the latest version Downloads and Manuals - Hold'Em Manager, Omaha Manager & HM Apps
    3 Please make sure you have access to a good connection, we cannot provide support on really slow connections
    4 - Please allow us full access otherwise it slows down the speed at which we can fix the issue
    Please download this version, it's the only one compatible with our version.

http://www.holdemmanager.com/Downloa..._5.1.13999.exe

After the meeting is set up, then

Please email the ID and password 5-10 minutes before.

I can be available at 6pm GMT on Monday 8/18. As I stated when I purchased this product I was not forwarned that Norton would have issues. If we can't make this work with Norton installed I would like to request a refund. I am sorry but Norton is a product I already purchased and have been using for many years. My computer security is more important to me than poker software.

That being said I would like to use your program so lets please take a look and see if we can resolve this. It worked for me for a while with Norton and then one day just stopped working, so having both programs installed should be possible.
    Last edited by romewashington; 08-14-2014 at 01:34 PM.

Banned

As I stated when I purchased this product I was not forwarned that Norton would have issues.
    You seriously expect HM2 to know in advance that Norton will mess things up later on?

If we can't make this work with Norton installed I would like to request a refund.
    I sincirely hope you won't get one. Your reasoning and sense of entitlement is beyond ridic.

My computer security is more important to me than poker software.
    PC security comes down to the actions of the user. Not some pita AV-software.

Which version of Norton are you using?

Are you also using the Norton Firewall? Or Norton Sonar?
    Read: http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...wall%29#Norton Firewall

----

To make HoldemManager (or PokerTracker) work with Norton..., and more importantly to make PostgreSQL work with Norton.
    -1 Turn off Norton's Smart Firewall
    --> this will enable you to turn on Windows Firewall
    -2 in Windows Firewall set exceptions for
    pg_ctl.exe, postgres.exe, port 5432 (or whichever port PostgreSQL is using)
    holdemmanager.exe, (if you play on PokerStars, also add pokerstars.exe)
    -3 Turn on Smart Firewall again and set the same exceptions.
    -4 Update Norton to the latest version.

-5 Get the PostgreSQL server to run.
    If 8.4/9.0/9.2 still won't run, install 8.2 which will always run: http://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/binary...l-8.2.22-1.zip
    http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questio...tallPostgreSQL
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

If you want to play Zoom on PokerStars, also add C:\Program Files (x86)\Holdem Manager 2\Blitz.dll and C:\Program Files (x86)\Holdem Manager 2\StarsCommunicator.hm2 to the exceptions list of Norton.
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

Quote Originally Posted by Patvs View Post
    Which version of Norton are you using?

Are you also using the Norton Firewall? Or Norton Sonar?
    Read: http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...wall%29#Norton Firewall

----

To make HoldemManager (or PokerTracker) work with Norton..., and more importantly to make PostgreSQL work with Norton.
    -1 Turn off Norton's Smart Firewall
    --> this will enable you to turn on Windows Firewall
    -2 in Windows Firewall set exceptions for
    pg_ctl.exe, postgres.exe, port 5432 (or whichever port PostgreSQL is using)
    holdemmanager.exe, (if you play on PokerStars, also add pokerstars.exe)
    -3 Turn on Smart Firewall again and set the same exceptions.
    -4 Update Norton to the latest version.

-5 Get the PostgreSQL server to run.
    If 8.4/9.0/9.2 still won't run, install 8.2 which will always run: http://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/binary...l-8.2.22-1.zip
    http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questio...tallPostgreSQL
    I disabled the Smart Firewall and it still will not run. I am having difficulty installing 8.2 as I don't have credentials to continue. When I tried to create new ones it still failed. Can you send me a private message so we can coordinate a time for support?

PM sent

PM's are disabled for customers on the forums so you need to email us to schedule a remote support session as previously requested.

For some customers Norton can be setup to work with HM2 and for other customers the same settings will not solve the norton conflict so it isn't something we can tell every customer about before they buy HM2 as it is specific to certain systems only. This is also why we offer a 30 day trial and limited time refund period as this is normally enough time to flush out any possible conflicts with software on a customer's computer. For most customers the EV of our software far outweighs any previous cost of a conflicting security software so removing it and replacing it with something known to not cause conflicts is not an issue.