HM2 Crashes on open - Asking me to edit PS Settings

Exclamation HM2 Crashes on open - Asking me to edit PS Settings

I have just upgraded to HEM2 from using the trial. When I load I am greeted with this screen:

imgur: the simple image sharer

The box is unclickable and will not register a response yet when I ctrl+alt+del and try to HM2 it tells me it is waiting for an input from myself. I know this, but it will not let me click anything. Here are the steps I have taken so far:

1) Changed all read-only permissions
    2) Updated HM2 with the beta executable
    3) Rebooted PC and tried again

It still will not let me click it. It would also seem that in the top left corner my "Hero" hasnt loaded, whereas before it did. Perhaps a database issue?

Darrin

Go to Stars - Options - Tournament Summaries and set it to save them.

I've never seen it not clickable.

If you continue to have problems, please reproduce the problem, describe exactly what you were doing, and attach your log.txt file -

http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...ger+Support%3F

to support@holdemmanager.com with a link to this thread.
    Regards udbrky (Chris)

I have been doing some playing around over the past few days. I altered the PS Settings and it seemed that this wasnt the root of the problem. The program would sometimes take 5+ minutes to load (with an almost empty database) which is odd considering it had been fine. 70% of the time that it did load, it would load with a hero or any settings saved.

I then reinstalled HEM2, unfortunately this didnt have any positive effect.

I then thought maybe the PostgreSQL database was broken/corrupted or something. I completed a total wipe/reinstall of the PostgreSQL database. What i think found is when trying to reinstall HEM it gets to where it tries to create a PostgreSQL database but suffers an error. This is all occurring with 5minute lags/pauses/not responding of HEM in between. I get some type of code related runtime error about an invocation exception... Whilst tech savvy, im lost here.

It would seem that whatever the issue is, its database related and has something to do with HEM2 talking to the database or the inner workings of the database screwing with my computer. I had up until using HEM2 recently, never had an issue with HEM on this PC at all. Having taking a break from poker, this is what I have come back to. Im at a loss. I will post a log to the support team with a link to this thread however at the time of writing, I cannot even install HEM2/Create a database because I am locked at the error. I am however able to reload the installer and pick a database that it "created". This of course comes complete with the 5minute hangs.

Zip contained within email is of me having to force shut the program as it didnt respond. Hopefully thats enough to look in to the issue.

Many thanks

Darrin

I responded. Your postgres is having issues.
    Regards udbrky (Chris)

Ok here we go:

The issue is certainly around my computers connection with PostgreSQL that is causing HEM to not load/crash on startup and if it does it takes 10 minutes and doesnt work.

1) UAC Off
    2) HEM2 Admin
    3) Used the "start server" button. It took around 2 minutes to tell me the server was already running. "The start command returned an error<2>
    4) I tried to "stop server" however it said that it could not stop the server, again after around a 2 minute hang.
    5) Uninstalled AVG and tried everything - No help

On the very rare occasion that HEM2 does load, it works at a snails pace. This is assuming it just doesnt respond completely. Do you think I should try PostgreSQL 9x?

Update: Was able to start HEM and connect to the PostgreSQL server, albeit it took a long time. When I tried to "create database" I was provided with this message:

"A timeout has occurred. If you were establishing a connection, increase Timeout value in ConnectionString. If you were executing a command, increase the CommandTimeout value in your Connection String or in your NpgsqlCommand object" - I really dont think altering the timeout values will help, its the issue that causing it to timeout that is the problem i feel.

Im kind of at my wits end with what to do here, It was completely fine earlier in the year when using the trial version.
    Last edited by d4rr1n; 07-29-2014 at 02:34 PM. Reason: additional info.

AVG causes very, VERY serious problems. It causes issues with writing to files and folders for the database. It also in some situations, has corrupted Windows to the point it needs to be reformatted.

Please see this FAQ to alleviate any security bottlenecks:

http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...olders+HM2+use

See this for HM2 performance tips:

http://forums.holdemmanager.com/gene...ance-tips.html

If you use Note Caddy, see this:

NoteCaddy speed improvement - Assaultware Wiki

Please download the same version of postgresql that you have now from Download PostgreSQL | EnterpriseDB. Uninstall yours, and install this update.

Try creating a new database. Please see this FAQ:

http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...y+played+hands
    Regards udbrky (Chris)

Reinstalling as stated before, did nothing. This included reinstalling PostgreSQL. I did it anyway. Same results.

I have completed all of the "enhancements", none of them make any difference. The setup of my PC has not changed over the course of the year (since i last used HEM2) however since I upgraded and try to use it, this is when the issues have started. As soon as i try to complete ANY action within HEM2 setup that relates to a database, it instantly goes to "not responding". The issue must be with postgres or the installer itself.

"It may take a few seconds to create your database" - this took 10 minutes. Quick PC Check: Quad 2.8, 6b Ram, GTX560. This is absolutely capable of running HEM2 (as i ran it before) so its not a hardware issue..

Im pretty much at the stage where it seems nothing is going to fix this.

It looks like something on your computer is blocking the PostgreSQL server.

Normally we'd suggest to set exceptions for post 5432, postgres.exe, pg_ctl.exe to Windows Firewall (even if you're not using Windows Firewall and it's turned off), your firewall, antivirus (uninstall AVG), etc.
    ...not use a VPN client, etc.

...but often even if you do all these things, the port is still being blocked.

---

A simpler solution will be to install a different version of PostgreSQL to a different port. For example
    if by default you were using 8.4.x on port 5432,
    install 9.2.x to port 5433. (or 5434, 5435, etc.)

It 9.2.x won't run, install 8.2: http://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/binary...l-8.2.22-1.zip
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here