Postgres not starting

Default Postgres not starting

Hi,

My postgres 8.3 suddenly won't start, which I noticed after Hm2 wouldn't connect. I have followed everything on the FAQ, which worked before for me before when I used this computer after a long while, and my postgres wouldn't start, specifically deleting the postmaster file.

It's possible this is has something to do with the windows update the other day, as I didn't play yesterday.

I am using windows 7 and possibly have the newest Hem version after updating for the Fastforward fix this week.

Thanks in advance

Also wanted to add, that in services under log on as postgres says .\postgres. Not sure whether this is normal or not as everything else is either local system, local service or network service.

sql1.JPG

Mine looks like (but I'm running PostgreSQL 9.3).

---
    Long solution:

If you go back to the Services--> General tab of PostgreSQL, and start service won't work:
    First try to reboot.

If no help, try this:

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL > 8.x > Stop Service

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL > 8.x > Start Service

If that doesnt help delete the \postgresql\8.x\data\postmaster.pid file, if you see it. And reboot.

This is usually a firewall or windows update issue.
    What you can try is: add pg_ctl.exe (this is responsible to start the server) to the Windows Firewall (even if the Windows Firewall is disabled). Also add the port number and postgres.exe to the Windows Firewall exceptions.

Are you running another firewall or antivirus software? If so also set exceptions to them.
    If the exceptions don't work, completely uninstall your antivirus software and external firewall.

If that doesn't help you will have to reinstall PostgreSQL completely.
    But it's very likely you won't manage to reinstall PostgreSQL 8.3, because during the install it still won't be able to start the service.

---

Short solution:

Don't do any of the above. Just install a different version of PostgreSQL to a different port number.
    For example 8.4, 9.0, or 9.2 to port 5433. If they don't run install 8.2: http://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/binary...l-8.2.22-1.zip

Then in a new empty database, reimport your hands.
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here