HM2 Performance Tips - Page 9
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

will PS+HM2 work smoothly on Core2Duo proccesor Macbook Pro with 8Gb RAM?

Does the MacBook have a SSD or regular HDD (harddisk)?

HDD: it will be fine for 1-8 tabling PokerStars + a normal sized database (<1 million hands)

SSD: you can 16 table + <3 million hands database.

--

If you plan to 16+ table + >4 million hands database and/or also want to use NoteCaddy, it's recommended to use a computer with a faster CPU. (and with an SSD)
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

Great thread, lots of good stuff in here. Im reinstalling on a new computer soon and want to make sure im doing everything right. I'll use a SSD as the main drive and my current 7200rpm drive for files and the other programs. I know I have to install the OS on the SSD but what about the poker related stuff?

Do I install postgresql, HM2, pokerstars and the database on the SSD? Better to put the database on the standard drive?

One thing about shared buffers. The FAQs suggest two different answers depending where you look.

A) "Find the 'shared_buffers' value. The default value is comically low, but a good value is 1/4 of your total memory. I set mine to 768MB as I have 4GB of RAM (of which a little more than 3GB actually can be used in non 64-bit systems). "

B) "shared_buffers = <number> MB (set it to 20% of your system's memory, but not higher than 512 MB)"

Is 512mb the maximum or not? I will be using a x64 OS with 8gb of RAM.

I have mine set to 512MB with 16GB RAM. I will pass this along to Pat, as he did the guide.

For the best performance, put your database and parent folder on the SSD. Your archive should be on the 7200. What I do is just move my archive from the SSD to the 7200 regularly. This is mostly because we tend to delete our settings a lot and I just don't feel like changing it or moving the config file back every time. But you can adjust the setting in Site Setup.
    Regards udbrky (Chris)

Quote Originally Posted by udbrky View Post
    I have mine set to 512MB with 16GB RAM. I will pass this along to Pat, as he did the guide.

For the best performance, put your database and parent folder on the SSD. Your archive should be on the 7200. What I do is just move my archive from the SSD to the 7200 regularly. This is mostly because we tend to delete our settings a lot and I just don't feel like changing it or moving the config file back every time. But you can adjust the setting in Site Setup.
    Thanks a lot udbrky!

With PostgreSQL 8.4.x, both PokerTracker and HoldemManager users, tried every 'tweak' imaginably for postgresql.config.
    The outcome was, a value of >512 MB simply didn't result in any performance increase.

In fact, using the Tuning Wizard, will often set values too high, resulting in the PostgreSQL server not running. This can also occur, if you change all the settings to higher-values-than-recommended.

Having said that, we kept tracking performance with PostgreSQL 9.0 (64 bit), and 9.2 (64 bit), and with each new version of PostgreSQL HoldemManager (and PokerTracker) performance would never really change.
    Some elements would be faster: a backup / maintenance: vacuum-analyse-reindex, but it would never result in faster (handhistory) import speeds. Many users still report the fastest import speeds with PostgreSQL 8.2.

We encourage all (expert) users, to try to tweak postgresql.config. PostgreSQL 9.5 (Alpha version) was just released.
    It's possible if you have plenty of RAM, some tweaks / (higher) values we haven't tested yet, will result in faster performance.
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

Hello,

The links from the first post of this thread are not working: General Windows 7 Performance Tweaks guide* ;How to make PostgreSQL stop making those big log files ...

Thank you, I took out the first and fixed the 2nd.
    Regards udbrky (Chris)

Guys, which Windows has better HEM2+NC performance ?
    I'm currently on 8.1 pro and I'm considering updating to w10.

Cheers.

There is no difference between those 2 operating systems in terms of HM2/NC performance that I am aware of.