HM2 Performance Tips - Page 3
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by choostock View Post
    If you follow the updating PostgreSQL link, it tells you that 8.4 is no longer supported (as of July 2014), and I can't work out how to get the last version of it (which seems to be 8.4.22).
    Do you know how to get it?
    Does this mean we should move to 9.3?

8.4.22 download is still on the postgresql website: Download PostgreSQL | EnterpriseDB

If 8.4.x works, there is no reason to upgrade to a 9.x.x version of PostgreSQL.
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

Quote Originally Posted by HossendeHaai View Post
    I'm a bit confused. If I'd do this HM2 warns me it's off, and in your FAQ it's written turning it off can cause issues: http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...ws+7+and+Vista Can you shine a light of the advantages/disadvantages of having it turned off?

Some users experience:

(popups turn black and are not visible)

Those users should change the desktop composition setting, or AERO setting.

Wiki: "Desktop composition makes Windows Aero graphical effects possible. Desktop composition eliminates graphical "tearing," where moving one window over another program's window results in delayed painting of the window underneath. Since windows are rendered off screen, the video card composes the off-screen images in a tear-free manner."

You can ignore the warning HM2 gives, if it works for you with the setting off.
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

I am buying a new PC, wich windows is better for HM2 with notecaddy (7 or 8)?

Banned

7!

HM2 will run on both.

Most users still prefer Windows 7.
    (but Windows 8.1 already is a huge improvement over the first Windows 8 release)

Here is a guide to help with issues with Windows 8 and HM.

http://forums.holdemmanager.com/gene...ade-guide.html

For postgres problems with Win 8. It's a little different from Win 7.

The show hidden files is a little different.

It is located in the View - Options section. At the top, there are 4 menu buttons - File, Home, Share, View. Click the view. From there, it's just like in all other windows. Folder Options hasn't changed.

Getting to programs is a PITA without the Start menu. To run CMD as an admin:

go to the start screen, where it lists all your programs.

Right click in the bottom right, it shows "All Apps" button. Click that.

Go to the Windows section.

There, you see Command prompt.

Right click that, at the bottom, on the left, are options. Click Run as Administrator

Hi all,
    I have a couple of issues I'd like to clarify:

PostreSQL (I have an x64 PC and use SQL 9.3) in my postgres.conf file there is no: temp_buffers=(x) - this voice is missing, can I just add it?

In the Task Mgr, Processes tab, while importing I can set priority only to: Holdemmanager.exe & HudFuncsApp.exe, again HMimport.exe is a missing voice. Is this normal?

Last...about Postgres...any chance tha in processes tab, assigning priority to "high" to: pg_ctl.exe & postgres.exe (net services, plenty of them...??!! O.o) would benefit anyhow?

Sorry for messing questions up, hope to be understood. Thx in advance!

No you can't add it.
    For 9.3: it might be named slightly different. Search for "buffer" in the postgresql.config file.

(PosgtreSQL 9.2 it is still named temp_buffer)
    I use 9.2 instead of 9.3

--

It's normal you can only set a higher priority for holdemmanager.exe.

--

Also adding it for pg_ctl.exe and postgres.exe won't make a difference.
    Postgres.exe (all the .exe files) will rarely use more than 30% CPU combined.

Every time you add high priority to .exe files that use a lot of CPU Usage you risk it will result in computer lag.

Hi all,
    I'm trying my very best to set up my PC to best HM2 performances cause it's crazy that a brand new PC, intel i7, 16GB RAM, SSD, "GB dedicated videocard & 1200$ stuff wont be "enough" to make HM2 run smoothly. I made all PostreSQL.conf changes & I set priority to "high" to HM.exe & HudFuncsApp.exe (I can't find HMimport.exe but *you* said is just fine). Now I downloaded "Prio_x64.exe", installed it but I get an issue. I went through program files/prio.exe in order to launch it (it's very basic as I understand and as no GUI) but when launching it I get a splash "cmd.exe-like" screen which appears for one second and as fast disappears. I thought maybe it already memorized my "priority" sets but as soon as I restart HM" I get the priorities back to normal. The question is: How am I supposed to make Prio work? Is there a guide somewhere? I obv couldn't find the right infos on Prio's site. Thx for your prompt-kind help

2) Should I downgrade to Win7 64bit? (on Win 8.1 x64 now)
    Last edited by webwiller; 09-22-2014 at 12:24 PM. Reason: addons

I am not familiar with prio. You would need to check with their support for tips on running it.

I edited the post as HMImport is an HM1 program.

Changing to Windows 7 is up to you. I downgraded one of my computers, but still have 8.1 on my main computer.

Please email us a full description of what trouble you are having, along with a link to your post - support@holdemmanager.com
    Regards udbrky (Chris)

Quote Originally Posted by webwiller View Post
    ...Now I downloaded "Prio_x64.exe", installed it but I get an issue. I went through program files/prio.exe in order to launch it (it's very basic as I understand and as no GUI) but when launching it I get a splash "cmd.exe-like" screen which appears for one second and as fast disappears. I thought maybe it already memorized my "priority" sets but as soon as I restart HM" I get the priorities back to normal. The question is: How am I supposed to make Prio work? Is there a guide somewhere? I obv couldn't find the right infos on Prio's site
    Prio gets very mixed reviews, but it might be users who don't know how to use it - I don''t know for sure
    Prio GUI/support is very basic as you've noticed & there's no real support or documentation

Try "Process Lasso" instead of Prio
    Click "64-bit" link underneath any of the the "Download Now!" buttons:-
    https://bitsum.com/processlasso/

** Native 64-bit
    ** Works with Windows 8.1
    ** Better GUI than Prio
    ** It has a good forum at the same site as the download
    ** All features are available for 7 days & then some are disabled unless you buy the "Pro" version
    ** The prioritising features you need are available for FREE in the program so don't bother with "Pro" unless you get annoyed by the reminders to buy "Pro"
    ** Read this first to check that you will be happy to run the free version!:- https://bitsum.com/howfree.php

NOTES:-
    It needs some study to figure out how to use in the way you want it to
    Make a system restore point before screwing with your priorities
    Changes to priorities can destabilize your set up if you don't know what you're doing
    Lasso is safe if you don't go crazy with changing stuff
    If you're not sure about something ASK at the forums first
    Write down in detail any changes you make in case system restore fails [happens a lot in Windows I think]

To be honest I think that other performance improvements have a bigger impact than changing CPU priority classes & affinities etc. I would regard this as a last resort because it's messing with a core Windows set up.