Ssd config -

Thread: Ssd config -

Lightbulb Ssd config -

I have read all the relevant threads and I am still confused. I want to get a new computer - the question is mainly regarding SSD+HDD COMBO

- I only have 300k hands in my DB but this will grow in the next few years - Is it a good idea to get a 128GB/120GB SSD dedicated to HM2 + Postgres?. The only thing that worries me is that on the uninstall a program window it shows Postgres' file size to be 108GB I have read somewhere this is incorrect.

Could you please clarify how I could use a 120/128GB SSD and a 1TB HDD storage set up to my advantage in terms of optimising the performance of HM2. Is it advisable to keep the OS and all other files on a HDD and all HM2 related stuff on a 120 or 128GB SSD?? Will this be enough or do I need to get 256GB SSD? or is this whole SSD thing overrated?

PS: Please dont post a link to best ssd config using hem2-nc it confused the hell out of me - I just want a simple answer yes a SSD of 120gb or so will make HM2 run better along with a HDD containing the OS and all other files - or No terrible idea....etc etc

I would recommend a 256gb SSD over a 128gb SSD, especially if you use NoteCaddy Premium. I have a 160gb SSD and wish I had a bigger one but I don't play many hands any more so I can get by with this size for my database and my testing needs. The best performance will be if you have Windows, HM2 and your PostgreSQL database all on the SSD so you want to be sure you have one that is bigger than you think you need. You also want to be sure your SSD has more free space than the size of your database as we use the windows TEMP directories when doing things like a vacuum or backup of your database.

In HM1 there are a lot of tables that deal with a specific hand played by a specific player. In HM2 we don't have these tables, instead, for player related hand data, we use a flat file approach. Each player has his own folder and each file represents a single day. Each line within the file is a tokenized version of a single hand with incredible amounts of detail. Your overall HM2 spaced used (DB + Files) is about 2/3 of HM1 and we store probably 2-3 times as much info plus it can be accessed many, many times faster and allows us to do some things that wouldn't be possible otherwise, many of which are yet to come. If you don't want the space in your Roaming folder due to C: file space or something like that, we do give you the option of storing this data anywhere

General rule is 1 million hands = 10 GB.

In reality it's: 1 million hands
    HM1: 6.8 GB
    HM2: 4.3 GB
    PT4: 13.6 GB

So with a 10 million hand database you need as SSD of at least 60 GB (Windows) + 100 GB = 160 GB. We use 1 million = 10 GB (instead of 6.8) because when you want to perform a vacuum/analyse or backup/restore a database it will require a LOT of disk space to perform such a task.