Can't connect to PostgreSQL thru Database Control Panel
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Can't connect to PostgreSQL thru Database Control Panel

Background: Downloaded HM ver. "e" yesterday along with PostgreSQL for the first time each. No prev. experience with either. Installed as per guide. No problems at all during 3-4 hours of online play. Don't think I ever quit HM and tried to restart it. Everything worked perfectly including hand replay module. Superb stuff.

Today: (Edit: All of this happens on ver. "e" this morning, same thing repeatedly. I later upgrade to "g" with exact same results.) HM will not start. Obv not well-versed in the program yet, but it appears I arrive at the "Database Control Panel" and fail to connect to postgreSQL database. Screenshots of popup sequence below. When I click "CONNECT" button, I get the last screen and cannot proceed. I read thru numerous FAQ entries and forum posts trying to find answer... let's see if I can summarize. Did not reinstall .NET (afraid to mess with it if it isn't truly broken, why would HM work last night and today it is suddenly corrupt?)... User Account Control is off... Admin acct. running... two HM .exe's checked, grayed out... checked to see if PostgreSQL Database was running in Vista "Services", Status is blank and Startup Type is "Automatic"... Firewall is standard Vista issue, added HoldemManager.exe and pgAdmin III to exclusion list... Do not run any virus protect at all (good test bed here, u can rule that theory out - how about Windows Defender?)... Not sure what else to add, please ask questions and/or request files. Have not done any uninstall/reinstall etc. until I receive feedback on which prog I should start with. TYVM -Al

P.S. One question - during PostgreSQL setup, I used the standard username/password as shown in the screenshot below. However, during setup another, secondary, UN/PW was requested and I personalized that one. Where is that used, exactly? Should I be entering that combo here instead perhaps? I did try, same thing happened.

Last edited by Alizona; 07-23-2008 at 10:42 PM. Reason: upgraded to "g"

What exactly is the "transport connection".

I had a bit of a breakthru, but still have errors.

After brainstorming a bit, I went into my Vista Start Menu and found the PostgreSQL 8.2 folder. I clicked on "pgAdmin III" which started up a Database control panel. Once that opened up, I clicked "Tools" and then clicked on "Start Service" (there are other ways, right click on the server and select Start Service, etc). Then I ran HM and it went further than it has all day, but when I try to do anything in it, I keep getting "Unable to read data from the transport connection; existing connection forcibly closed by remote host" error popups.

Do I need to start the database beforehand every time prior to running HM? Shouldn't this be happening automatically? Why am I still getting database errors even tho I finally got HM up and running? Appreciate any assistance.

Hi, this is usually due to a firewall / anti virus type program getting in the way of the communication between HM and the Postgresql database, if possible can you disabled them after rebooting and before starting HM and see if it still causes a problem?

Reinstalling PostgreSQL might solve the problem but if it is the above then it will probably return eventually
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We welcome any feedback on any solutions we provide, this helps us to provide better quality solutions in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by morny View Post
    Hi, this is usually due to a firewall / anti virus type program getting in the way of the communication between HM and the Postgresql database, if possible can you disabled them after rebooting and before starting HM and see if it still causes a problem?

Reinstalling PostgreSQL might solve the problem but if it is the above then it will probably return eventually
    Well like I said in my intial post here morny, I do not run antivirus on my rigs, ever. I run a scan from time to time, but it is NEVER resident in memory. AV is a waste of time and money as far as I'm concerned.

So at least in my case, we can rule that out.

I cannot believe that the standard issue Vista firewall is the problem here. As I also stated, I granted exclusions to HoldemManager.exe and pgAdminIII in the firewall.

When I get home from work tonight I'll turn the firewall off, reboot, and try HM again. But seriously - if your program can't work with the Vista firewall... that wouldn't be good.

Thx for the reply.

checked to see if PostgreSQL Database was running in Vista "Services", Status is blank and Startup Type is "Automatic
    If the status is blank then it looks like its not started and HM wont work unless PostgreSQL is running. Please follow the following step to start the service:

checked to see if PostgreSQL Database was running in Vista "Services", Status is blank and Startup Type is "Automatic

It does work with firewalls but sometimes they cause issues, the reason i wanted you turn any firewalls/antiviruses off is just to test and see if this is indeed whats causing the problem if the step above dosent work.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We welcome any feedback on any solutions we provide, this helps us to provide better quality solutions in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by morny View Post
    If the status is blank then it looks like its not started and HM wont work unless PostgreSQL is running. Please follow the following step to start the service:

It does work with firewalls but sometimes they cause issues, the reason i wanted you turn any firewalls/antiviruses off is just to test and see if this is indeed whats causing the problem if the step above dosent work.
    Ok, I turned off Windows Vista firewall, cold reboot, and lo and behold, HM started up like a charm.

Odd. I did give exclusion to pgAdmin III as well as HoldemManager.exe in the Firewall previously in an attempt to get it working, but that didn't help. Turning the thing off completely did... so what does this mean now? Am I not giving an exclusion to the correct program perhaps? Which ones am I suppose to grant it to? Or am I supposed to unblock the 5432 port maybe? There's no way I'm going to shut down my firewall during my lengthy poker sessions! I may not run AV at all, but I'd sure as heck never be online without the FW.

Appreciate the help Morny, we're getting there.

P.S. I checked thru the FAQ one more time, and the only one that seems related to this is #34. Should I try the last bit of advice, delete the "postmaster" file? Will that help me ya think?

"Then after the computer reboots go to C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.2\data and delete the postmaster.pid file then restart holdem manager. If you get the error again repeat the step above to restart the postgres service."
    Last edited by Alizona; 07-24-2008 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alizona View Post
    Appreciate the help Morny, we're getting there.
    I guess I was wrong... we're not getting there - we ARE there!! I restarted the Vista FW after HM was running again, did a cold reboot and HM manager is still working perfectly with the FW now on again.

This is really weird behavior... I did nothing but turn the FW off and on, with a couple of reboots, and that fixed everything? Oh well, as long as it doesn't crop up again, I'm good to go! From what I gather in reading about this the past few evenings tho, I guess I should be prepared for not "if" it happens again, but "when". At least I think I know how to fix it now (I hope)!

Thanx again, I gotta go play now, this cost me a night of my free trial!

It might not have been the firewall at all, PostgreSQL service was not running so the reboot may have started it. I was supposed to give you a link to a FAQ on how to start it manually but looks like i forgot to paste it lol.

Link to this FAQ http://208.109.95.123/faq/?f=34

Just in case you need it again.

Oh I've rebooted many times during this sequence. It wasn't the reboot, it was turning the FW off, then on again. I hope it's that easy next time! Thanx again.

This problem is still intermittant and still related to my Vista FW, apparently. I can fix it temporarily by FWoff-reboot-FWon and run HM but after a while of play I get the following popup and from then on I can't connect to the database, I get additional, different "Unable to read data from the transport connection" error popups. The only apparent fix is a FW shutdown and reboot (does not work without the reboot unfortunately, I tried that), but since rebooting would cause me to leave my suddenly profitable (thanks to HM!) tables, I really can't do that so I end up running without it for a while until I begin to regret the lack of data...

As much as I love HM and as much as it has improved my game, I'm sorry to say I can't begin to think about a purchase after my trial with these issues. Still not sure if the root cause is on my end or something in the s/w going awry. The way I look at it is, if the program cannot work with the stock Vista FW then it has some issues that need to still be looked at and remedied. But I'm sure since not everyone is experiencing this rather fatal issue, you have to think it is on my end somehow. I dunno - I don't seem to be the only one with this either, esp if you include the AV folks with problems too! I hope any feedback I can offer will help you decipher what is going on here. Thanks.

Oh, the other thing - perhaps a root cause of these problems - is, why is PostreSQL Database listed in my Vista Services as "Automatic"? And the status is blank. We never figured that out - how can I get the status so its always running? Are PostgreSQL issues out of your realm, or control? I really don't know much about it either, no idea how to change the Service, can't find any command to change it. When I right click and try to "Start Service", it hangs for a long while, then tells me "the service started, but shut down because no program is currently using it". Huh? Weird. Even does that when I change the "Automatic" setting to something else ("Start" I think).
    Last edited by Alizona; 07-26-2008 at 01:55 AM.