Can't connect to PostgreSQL thru Database Control Panel

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Can't connect to PostgreSQL thru Database Control Panel

Background: Downloaded HM ver. "e" yesterday along with PostgreSQL for the first time each. No prev. experience with either. Installed as per guide. No problems at all during 3-4 hours of online play. Don't think I ever quit HM and tried to restart it. Everything worked perfectly including hand replay module. Superb stuff.

Today: (Edit: All of this happens on ver. "e" this morning, same thing repeatedly. I later upgrade to "g" with exact same results.) HM will not start. Obv not well-versed in the program yet, but it appears I arrive at the "Database Control Panel" and fail to connect to postgreSQL database. Screenshots of popup sequence below. When I click "CONNECT" button, I get the last screen and cannot proceed. I read thru numerous FAQ entries and forum posts trying to find answer... let's see if I can summarize. Did not reinstall .NET (afraid to mess with it if it isn't truly broken, why would HM work last night and today it is suddenly corrupt?)... User Account Control is off... Admin acct. running... two HM .exe's checked, grayed out... checked to see if PostgreSQL Database was running in Vista "Services", Status is blank and Startup Type is "Automatic"... Firewall is standard Vista issue, added HoldemManager.exe and pgAdmin III to exclusion list... Do not run any virus protect at all (good test bed here, u can rule that theory out - how about Windows Defender?)... Not sure what else to add, please ask questions and/or request files. Have not done any uninstall/reinstall etc. until I receive feedback on which prog I should start with. TYVM -Al

P.S. One question - during PostgreSQL setup, I used the standard username/password as shown in the screenshot below. However, during setup another, secondary, UN/PW was requested and I personalized that one. Where is that used, exactly? Should I be entering that combo here instead perhaps? I did try, same thing happened.

Last edited by Alizona; 07-23-2008 at 10:42 PM. Reason: upgraded to "g"