Can't connect to PostgreSQL thru Database Control Panel - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Hmm, I may have missed something... I found this post (#7973) from Roy on 2+2:

It is almost always one of 3 things with Stars

1) You have not started Auto Import
    2) if all your imports are showing up as errors then you may have a DB issue - email me at support@holdemmanager.net
    3) If you are on Vista then make sure holdemmanager.exe and hmhud.exe have administrator access
    4) Make sure hand histories are being saved in english

Even tho he's talking about the UAC/Admin rights stuff in #3, I brainstormed and decided to grant hmhud.exe an exception in my FW (which I had not done, just holdemmanager.exe). HM fired right up, and so far (knock on wood) it's working with no transport connection errors. Oh please let it be this simple! Will update in a few days even if it's fixed, just so you know. Thx.
    Last edited by Alizona; 07-26-2008 at 02:12 AM.

Well, it just popped up again, the tranport connection error. I went about 18 hours error-free before it just happened again now. I thought I had fixed this but I guess not... Sigh. I think I'm out of solutions.

If the problem is still happening now, if you go into the control panel, admin tools and services, when you scroll to PostgreSQL Database what is the status. Is it started if not just right click and choose start.

This happens me occassionaly and this usually sorts it out without having to reboot. Now it still may be the firewall and if the above dosent work maybe youll want to consider turning off the built in firewall and using an alternative like Zonealarm free to see if it definetely is the firewall.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We welcome any feedback on any solutions we provide, this helps us to provide better quality solutions in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by morny View Post
    If the problem is still happening now, if you go into the control panel, admin tools and services, when you scroll to PostgreSQL Database what is the status. Is it started if not just right click and choose start.
    Status is "blank" and it is set to "Automatic" for startup type.

When I right click and select "Start", I get the following popup after a long delay:

I can't seem to find any way to get the database status set to anything other than a blank. I've already read more documentation on this "PostgreSQL" stuff than I care to read, with no luck.

I know its probably not ideal but it might be worth turning off the firewall and trying a free alternative like i suggested above.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We welcome any feedback on any solutions we provide, this helps us to provide better quality solutions in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by morny View Post
    I know its probably not ideal but it might be worth turning off the firewall and trying a free alternative like i suggested above.
    I appreciate all you've done (and are doing) to help Morny.

However, here's my take on this (as I've stated before)...

I love Holdem Manager. I think it's a WONDERFUL program, and is extremely useful (almost invaluable) to a serious poker player looking to improve their game.

However, if the software will not work with the stock Vista Firewall, then I have to say it is a BAD program, with flawed programming code somewhere in it.

Perhaps I'm off base here, and perhaps there is some reason that the firewall is conflicting with HM that is outside of the programmers' control. But given what I know, I can only say that it's HM that's not playing nice with Vista's FW, and not vice versa.

You guys either have to figure this out or you're not going to get a purchase from me... and that's a total shame, because I love the program otherwise. I wasn't even going to try the "other competition" given what I've read about both.

Again, I appreciate all your efforts in assisting those of us with problems, but I hope you pass along to whomever should know that this "little" issue with Firewall (and perhaps AntiVirus) software is unacceptable and is costing you buyers of your product.

I have run other firewalls in the past, including Zone Alarm (which is an awful piece of bloatware), and have no plans to switch just so a certain other piece of software will operate on my machine.

The thing I don't understand here is... why is the firewall even at issue here? Is HM accessing the internet for some reason? Why? Isn't everything based on text files that the poker site updates and drops onto my hard drive every few seconds? Why does HM have to access the internet and interact with the firewall for that?

Or am I way off base, and it's the communication between the database and HM that the firewall is objecting to? Why would the firewall care about that anyway?

I'm kinda stumped here with all this stuff. It really just doesn't make sense to me on many levels.

This happens me occassionaly and this usually sorts it out without having to reboot. Now it still may be the firewall and if the above dosent work maybe youll want to consider turning off the built in firewall and using an alternative like Zonealarm free to see if it definetely is the firewall.
    My reference to that was to my original suggestion was to switch to an alternative to see if it is definitely the problem, i only suggested Zone Alarm because i use it and ive never had a problem with it. the vast majority of people can use it with these but some people, mostly Vista users from what ive seen seem to have an intermitting problem which is hard to recreate since it happens to very few people.

Default Same problem here

Hi,

Exactly the same problem here. Tried all the same sollutions. Purchased program a couple of months ago. Never had any problems untill now. Haven't played in a month due to travelling. Now I just got back, moved to new adress and the damn program just keeps saying:

"the following error occurred when trying to open the database; unable to read data from the transport connection: an existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host."

When I try to strart the service manually (as it is always "stopped"), i get the same popup Alizona gets.

I tried turning off the firewall.
    I did all of the things one should do when using vista.

Never got it working for even one second though.
    That is probably the only difference between the problems I'm havign and the one described by alizona.

Please help?

(Alizona: have you given up by now?)

Hi again,

After spending yet another few hours searching for solutions and shouting at my computer, I noted the following:

The only time I seem to be able to access holdem manager without getting the popup described above, is when trying to start the postgre service.
    Not after starting it (because that always fails) but while trying to.

After a few minutes without errors (5 minuts top) the original popup reappears.
    ("the following error occurred when trying to open the database; unable to read data from the transport connection: an existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.")

This might not help you at all but I'm pretty damn hopeless.

Kind regards,
    K.

Can you try one thing that worked for a similar problem for some people. Close HM, and in that screenshot where you see the PostgreSQL service, right click and choose Properties, then go to the log on TAB and choose "local system account", you might want to note the postgres name which is something like ./postgres or looking at your screenshot yours is /.postgresuser

Also maybe try doing a reboot after changing it to "local system account"