Too long time importing of hands
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Too long time importing of hands

Hi,

i have a problem with new instalation of HM2. I had not been using HM2 for some time in my PC, now i tried to uninstal and instal newer version of HM2,than i set up new database.

Than i clicked to import folders and now after 20 hours of importing i have only 1/5 of hand imported. Is it normal that 13500 files can be imported so long time? Its running 4,2 hands/sec.

PLease let me know if these some problem or its normal. My computer is really unusable now.

Thanks Lukas, Czech rep

Please download the same version of postgresql that you have now from Download PostgreSQL | EnterpriseDB. Uninstall yours, and install this update.

1) Please make sure you are installing on an administrator account and running as an administrator.

2) Please turn off UAC.

3) You'll need to add:
    - hmupdate.exe (only exists during update)
    - holdemmanager.exe
    - hudfuncapps2.exe
    - postgres and pg_ctl, your poker client .exe
    - table ninja.exe
    - tablescannerdllloader.exe
    - notecaddy.business.dll and notecaddy.contents.dll from the modules folder in holdemmanager's program files folder (you might have to type in the names in some firewalls, they do not show)

to the exceptions list in your firewall and antivirus. ****

4) Make sure that windows is fully updated. Keep checking for updates until it says twice five minutes apart that there are no more updates available.

5) You need to make sure that this folder*,

8/7/Vista: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\HoldemManager\

XP: C:\Documents and Settings\User_name\Application Data\HoldemManager

as well as c:\postgresql (or c:\programfiles\postgresql), c:\programfiles\holdemmanager2, c:\hm2archive, c:\hmarchive and your site's hand history folder are each not read only** and that all permissions are set to full for your user name. ***

* You will need to show hidden files. See this tutorial for showing system and hidden files:

http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...in+Windows%3F+

See the location here for win 7:

http://www.udbrky.com/hmsupport/configfile.PNG

See the location here for win xp:

http://www.udbrky.com/hmsupport/configfile.PNG

** You will need to right click the folder, open properties. At the bottom in Attributes, uncheck the Read-Only. The folder will continue showing read only after that, this is an issue in Windows

*** This is in Properties as well, in Security.

****Please see this guide for Windows Firewall:

http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...ender+Problems

Please see this FAQ for setting permissions and unchecking read only:

http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...olders+HM2+use
    Regards udbrky (Chris)

I have done all stuff instead of installing new postgre...dont want to cut process. I have done about 600k hands its about half of them.

After program end importing hands its necessary to update postgre? When i update postgre, stay my created database usable or i will do that importing again?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by piskot724 View Post
    I have done all stuff instead of installing new postgre...dont want to cut process. I have done about 600k hands its about half of them.

After program end importing hands its necessary to update postgre? When i update postgre, stay my created database usable or i will do that importing again?

Thanks
    I wouldn't bother updating postgresql if you are going to let the import finish. You might be able to create a backup, reinstall postgresql 9.0.x and then restore the backup file, but that is not 100% reliable to not cause problems with your database so I would wait until you have database problems next or need to reinstall windows before updating PSQL.

Are you using a desktop or laptop? Does it have a HDD or SSD? Which CPU and how much RAM?

When doing large imports it is often more efficient to break up the files into smaller batches. In this case I would suggest batches of 2 or 3 k files. This way you could import one batch overnight, play poker the next day, then import another batch the next night, etc.

After the import is done I would do the HM2 > Database > Maintenance > PostgreSQL Tuning and [x] Full - Vacuum options.

I cant believe that it takes sooo long time

I have desktop PC, core2quad overclocked CPU, 4 Gb ddr2 rams, normal hard disk(no ssd).

Do u think that i will have to do backup and than reinstal database? MIght be the problem caused by old database version 8.x?

Ob the same Pc i have used Hm2 before and everyting went OK.

BTW now i have 813k hands imported, 8983/13406 files imported. bad is that hm2 dont want to comunicate with me last days do not show fast od importing, tottally lagged....
    And Hm2 takes 2gb of ram....strange.

I cant believe that it takes sooo long time

I have desktop PC, core2quad overclocked CPU, 4 Gb ddr2 rams, normal hard disk(no ssd).

Do u think that i will have to do backup and than reinstal database? MIght be the problem caused by old database version 8.x?

Ob the same Pc i have used Hm2 before and everyting went OK.
    Is this a laptop with a 5400rpm HDD? If so, it can explain why this is so slow for you.

The majority of our customers still use 8.4.x so I doubt that is the problem. If it is still going as slow as you mentioned and has been importing for days I would have certainly cancelled the import by now, tuned postgresql, and created a new database to import the hands into using smaller batches of 1 or 2 k files per batch over night so I could play poker during the day.

BTW now i have 813k hands imported, 8983/13406 files imported. bad is that hm2 dont want to comunicate with me last days do not show fast od importing, tottally lagged....
    And Hm2 takes 2gb of ram....strange.
    Well, with 9k/14k imported I suppose it makes sense to let it finish at this point but in the future if you have to do this again you should either restore a backup file of the database or import in smaller batches.

HM2 caches certain information in order to optimize search results and report load times. The minimum RAM that HM2 was designed for is 2GB but we recommend 4gb or 8gb+ for optimum performance. This caching is significantly faster if you have a fast hard drive (i.e. Solid State Drive). If you have a laptop with a 5,400rpm HDD and a large number of hands this process can take a fair amount of time but the pay off is that the reports will load much faster when changing from report to report in HM2 and when doing filtering/review of the reports.

The amount of caching (and thus the amount of RAM used) for an individual user is, in part, dependent on the RAM available and how much RAM is required for other applications you are running. Thus HM2 intelligently uses RAM based on a balancing act between how much you have and how much you are using elsewhere. If someone has a significant amount of RAM available, HM2 will cache more in order to further improve your response times to queries and report loading.

I have paused hm2 importing of hands and programm stucked,i will wait till mornig and i will keep u informed.

Seems there some problem about using memory, this is one reason why i stopped usin HM2 before. It using 99 % of maximum memory...now when importing is paused resume button is missing and program is stucked.

How long time can take aproximatly importing of 1m hands on avarage pc with 4gb ram?

Thanks for reply

EDIT: still using 3gm of ram and rising, still stucked.
    Last edited by piskot724; 11-25-2013 at 09:46 PM.

So after 12 hours programm still used over 3gb of ram and PC was still stucked like Hm2 so. I have cut whole process. Really thinking about reinstall win and try it again....need some time, now i am fed up with that for some days

Last information, if i start Hm2 again it is still stucked. Over half of time is in inactivity mode and taked still over 95% of available memory. So i think there must be some problem with using memory during the process.

I will try to reinstall postgre....

EDIT: postgre shows me it takes 108GB of space