Not recognized path to Parent Database, located on Mapped Drive (Windows 8.1)

Default Not recognized path to Parent Database, located on Mapped Drive (Windows 8.1)

Hi!
    First, I had such a configuration:
    Host PC with Windows 7, HM2, PostgreSQL server with HM2 database, Parent database, in local folder on the HDD, and installed VirtualBox VM.
    On VirtualBox I have Guest Windows XP with installed copy HM2.
    Guest OS have access to host only by port 5432, and have no access to shared folders. Also guest OS have access to 1 folder, named "Share" on the Host through VBox shared folders (it's not an "Windows shared folders"). "Share" mapped on guest as drive Z, and mapped on host as drive Z.
    The "Share" contain the "ParentDatabase" folder.

So, we have the same paths "Z:\ParentDatabase" on the host and guest.
    Really, "ParentDatabase" is D:\SharedData\ParentDatabase on hte Host.
    I set up access rights "Z:\ParentDatabase" for ALL (read/write).

In Windows 7 all this works fine.

But... I recently installed Windows 8.1 and now I receiving this message on the host:
    ---------------------------
    Database Error
    Holdem Manager still cannot connect to the database and will now close. Please restart the application and try again.
    ОК

In the guest all ok. HM2 is launched, and I can see all hands.

Also in the log, i see next:

16:25:16.230 [ProgressDialog: 14 - PostgresqlDatabase.GetPlayerHandsAsync] Error 1 adding to FilesToGrabPlayerHandsFrom = Could not find a part of the path "Z: \ ParentDatabase".

P.S. Please, sorry my engrish.

We had issues with shared folders as database parent folders but this was in a VMware installation.
    So it can either be a Windows 8.x problem (permissions or something like that) or a problem in latest VBox versions 4.3.x as i have seen some reports about shared folder problems in the virtualbox forums. Can you downgrade your vbox to 4.2.18 and try with this?

Another workaround would be to use a "real" network folder instead of a shared folder.

Quote Originally Posted by netsrak View Post
    We had issues with shared folders as database parent folders but this was in a VMware installation.
    So it can either be a Windows 8.x problem (permissions or something like that) or a problem in latest VBox versions 4.3.x as i have seen some reports about shared folder problems in the virtualbox forums. Can you downgrade your vbox to 4.2.18 and try with this?

Another workaround would be to use a "real" network folder instead of a shared folder.
    Thank you for the quick response, but you are a little misunderstood me. I have no any problem with vbox guest system. HM2 successfully run on a vbox. It is properly connected to the PostgreSQL and has access to the Parent database at the host system. Just I can't use a "real" network folders for some reason.

HM2 does not run on the host system although the Parent database also located on the Host system. I just have to turn a local folder to a network drive because the variable "DatabaseParentFolder" in the "settings" table of PostgeSQL database must be ABSOLUTE and SAME for 2 systems.

It is very difficult to implement in my case. Using local folder as network drive - the only trick to this, it seems does not work in Windows 8.1, although working in Windows 7.
    If you could implement support for Windows Environment Variables in the "DatabaseParentFolder", this would be the best solution.

just now I mounted the TrueCrypt container with letter "Z", and copy the Parent database to it. The result was the same path "Z:\ParentDatabase" and it's work fine in windows 8.1 (HM2 now running on two systems with one database).
    I.e. in Windows 8.1 path "Z:\ParentDatabase" from network drive different from path "Z:\ParentDatabase" from local drive.

It would be great if you have made it possible to set in the table "settings" variable "DatabaseParentFolder" like %ParentDatabase%, then we can to set the environment variable %ParentDatabase% like "D:\ParentDatabase" on the first system and "Z:\ParentDatabase" on the second system.

To use parent on "mapped network drive" you must disable UAC
    otherwise won't work

For win8 this can be done as so:
    1. Go to the start menu search, type regedit and hit enter. Navigate to this key.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System
    2 . In the right pane look for EnableLUA. Right click it and choose modify. Change its value to 0. Close regedit and restart PC.
    Make sure to find this key exactly. If it doesn't match it won't work.

Sarek
    Thank you, EnableLUA=0 is working in windows 8.1, but absolutely unsafe...

I personally had same problem with UAC, but under Win7.
    So had to democratically select from two choices:
    - or to use HM DB on mapped network drive
    - or to have UAC

Guess what I decided...

Quote Originally Posted by Sarek View Post
    Guess what I decided...
    I decided to leave the ParentBase on the TrueCrypt container =).
    Maybe it's saves the file system from fragmentation and UAC is on.

Database on the file system - this is nonsense.
    And the placement of the variable "DatabaseParentFolder" in PostgreSQL database - this is complete nonsense!