Back up and Restore - but "unknown filetype"

Default Back up and Restore - but "unknown filetype"

I've just followed the video instructions to back up and restore my database and I've restored my database to the desk top.

However, it appears blank and when I try to open it it says "windows can't open this file". It seems it doesn't know what file type it is. And I'm buggered if I know.

Does anyone know how I can get this data transferred into my other database?

Thanks

PS - At the end of the file name it says "hembk", if that's any help

Is the PostgreSQL version the backup was created in the same the PostgreSQL version you're restoring to? (both are 8.4?)

In HoldemManager click file--> backuo & restore and try to restore the .hembk file. If that fails, create the backup in pgadminIII instead, read: http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questio...store+Database
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

[QUOTE=Patvs;216521]Is the PostgreSQL version the backup was created in the same the PostgreSQL version you're restoring to? (both are 8.4?)

Hi Patvs

No they are NOTthe same. Now for my really stupid question.....how do I install 8.4 ?

Install it to port 5433 from PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database
    Both (backup and to where you're restoring to) must have the same version of SQL.

So both SQL. 8.3.x, or 8.4.x (it doesn't matter what the value is of x)
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

That's easier said than done

What exactly am I supposed to do?

In which SQL version was the .backup created? 8.3?
    Are you restoring to a different computer, or to the same computer that has a different SQL version installed?

Install the same SQL version the backup was created it.
    You can download all versions of SQL at: PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database

Read: http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questio...greSQL+Install

Patvs - you are assuming that I know more than I actually do! I am useless with computers so you will need to tell me more.

Can you give me full instructions what to do after I click that download link you provided

I want 8.4 on both machines. I have 8.3 on the PC and I need to have 8.4.
    But it isn't obvious what I need to do once I click on your link.

Please can you give me full instructions and then I won't need to keep pestering you with all these follow up questions. Sorry but this is as annoying for me as it is for you

You created a backup using the HM backup function?

You now need to restore the backup file using the restore function:
    File->Backup and restore -> Restore Tab -> "Choose file" -> select the backup file you saved on your desktop and "Start restore"

Netsrak, that patently isn't working.

Can you get patvs to answer the question I just asked before your response. Seeing as he is the one who has been dealing with this so far. Here it is again:

Quote Originally Posted by lionkiller View Post
    Patvs - you are assuming that I know more than I actually do! I am useless with computers so you will need to tell me more.

Can you give me full instructions what to do after I click that download link you provided

I want 8.4 on both machines. I have 8.3 on the PC and I need to have 8.4.
    But it isn't obvious what I need to do once I click on your link.

Please can you give me full instructions and then I won't need to keep pestering you with all these follow up questions. Sorry but this is as annoying for me as it is for you

Note: If you have an important backup created in 8.3 (containing precious notes) you'll also need to install 8.3 to restore it.

If you want to install SQL 8.4, the easiest solution is to use the HoldemManager combo installer: http://www.holdemmanager.com/Downloa...ager_Setup.exe
    which will automatically attempt to install SQL 8.4 to port 5432.

If port 5432 is already "occupied" because you have SQL 8.3 installed, uninstall SQL 8.3 first.

If the combo installer is unable to install SQL 8.4, you'll have to download the SQL 8.4.x installer from PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database.
    Just click NEXT at every step (so it will install in the default location).
    For password use: postgrespass
    Port: 5432