"Healthy" maximum number of notes?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "Healthy" maximum number of notes?

How hard does the number of NC-notes influence the HEM2 performance? As I now have 700 definitions, I wondered if there is a maximum of notes, where you would say it's not healthy anymore (Config 16GB Ram,i7,2 SSDs) ?
    I still have a lot of ideas on creating new notes, so if the influence is low, I would go on making a ton more.

Banned

1500 definitions with 1 billion notes here, all running fine.

@HossendeHai

May i ask what computer-setup you have and how much hands/sec you get when creating notes?

I also approach now the 1k notes with some more notes planned, but hands/sec is at a whopping 38h/s at me

Banned

I use a 13-inch laptop With 8GB memory, i7 quad-core and 256GB SSD that is. The result is about a week of note-processing @ ~20 h/s. That's a long time, but in-game it works fine. I use 2 duplicate DB's to be able to reset and proces notes in one when idle and still be able to play with all notes created earlier in another when active.

Quote Originally Posted by HossendeHaai View Post
    I use 2 duplicate DB's to be able to reset and proces notes in one when idle and still be able to play with all notes created earlier in another when active.
    Nice idea.....gonna copy that . At me it takes 14h atm, but i expect h/s to drop further when all defs are made (my CPU sucks... AMD FX 6300 6 Core, 8GB RAM, 2x Samsung 830) what would mean one day off.

Also my experience: in game you can come out with a much weaker setup. My wife's laptop with an I3 can even handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by karstenkloss View Post
    Nice idea.....gonna copy that . At me it takes 14h atm, but i expect h/s to drop further when all defs are made (my CPU sucks... AMD FX 6300 6 Core, 8GB RAM, 2x Samsung 830) what would mean one day off.
    I have a slightly worse CPU (CPU benchmark score of 5500). But only 6GB RAM. Would upgrading to 8 (or more) GB of RAM make a noticeable improvement in NC speeds (especially when playing Zoom)? Or is it more important to have a faster processor? I've been debating getting a new computer, but I'm not sure what kind of a boost in performance (ie 25%, 50%, etc) I can expect if I got say a i7-4770 w 8GB RAM. If I can get by with a "band-aid" of just getting more memory, I would prefer to do that until I move next year. Any thoughts?

I started with a AMD Phenom Quad-Core @ 3.2 GHz, 8GB RAM, 2x Seagate Barracuda. Here my upgrades and effects

1. upgrade: 2x Samsung 830 SSDs, one for programs, one for the database, huge impact on the performance in every aspect

2. upgrade: AMD FX 6300 6 Core (about 30% better benchmarks than my old CPU), no noticeable improvement at the tables, but 20-30% faster note-creation (h/s)

3. "upgrade": removing the RAM-cap in HM2: huge impact on the performance at the tables. Always had slight delays with pop-ups popping up, after removing the CAP everything fine. Ask Fozzy for instructions or pm me.

Regarding RAM:
    I always keep 1 years' hands rolling in my database, what's about 2kk hands. I never, really never need more than 4GB of RAM.

Overall a SSD - better 2 - is a must have. RAM 8 GB is enough in my experience. Imo CPU only plays a big role at note-creation-speed. So if you want to have it fast, go for the I7 6 Core, but in game even my wife's laptop with an I3 can handle a 2kk database.

I started with a AMD Phenom Quad-Core @ 3.2 GHz, 8GB RAM, 2x Seagate Barracuda. Here my upgrades and effects

1. upgrade: 2x Samsung 830 SSDs, one for programs, one for the database, huge impact on the performance in every aspect

2. upgrade: AMD FX 6300 6 Core (about 30% better benchmarks than my old CPU), no noticeable improvement at the tables, but 20-30% faster note-creation (h/s)

3. "upgrade": removing the RAM-cap in HM2: huge impact on the performance at the tables. Always had slight delays with pop-ups popping up, after removing the CAP everything fine. Ask Fozzy for instructions or pm me.

Regarding RAM:
    I always keep 1 years' hands rolling in my database, what's about 2kk hands. I never, really never need more than 4GB of RAM.

Overall a SSD - better 2 - is a must have. RAM 8 GB is enough in my experience. Imo CPU only plays a big role at note-creation-speed. So if you want to have it fast, go for the I7 6 Core, but in game even my wife's laptop with an I3 can handle a 2kk database.
    Thanks. This post was really helpful. I love my Samsung SSD drive. I had been having some performance issues, so I think removing the RAM cap would be helpful. How do you go about doing it? What are the potential problems? I also sent Fozzy a note.
    Last edited by Phoen1x; 09-29-2013 at 10:04 AM.

You just have to edit the HM2-config-file and add 2 lines. Keep a copy of the original file for the case things go bad Only potential problem is that your performance becomes worser....then you know a hardware-upgrade is the last exit.......

You just have to edit the HM2-config-file and add 2 lines. Keep a copy of the original file for the case things go bad Only potential problem is that your performance becomes worser....then you know a hardware-upgrade is the last exit.......
    Fozzy sent me a PM with the suggestions... basically to change the static and dynamic caps. I am not really sure what the implications of changing the static and dynamic caps are. If you don't mind my asking, what did you change the static and dynamic caps to? I will probably upgrade to 8GB RAM, so I think our systems would be roughly the same. Thanks again!
    Last edited by Phoen1x; 09-29-2013 at 01:31 PM.