Recognizing a fish

Default Recognizing a fish

Hi all, not sure if this question belongs here, but it is to do with making use of the HUD stats in order to spot a fish.

I play $0.50/1 on full tilt. I generally look at a player's VPIP as a first indicator of how fishy someone is. What I really want to identify is the players who overplay their hands and don't lay down when they should. E.g. Who will pay me off with top pair when I flop overpairs/sets?

Which of the following stats are helpful in determining whether a player overplays? And what sort of numbers will tell me so? This is assuming I have a lot of data on a player like 500+ hands

VPIP
    Aggression factor
    Won $ when seen flop
    Won $ at showdown
    Went to showdown

I'm guessing 'went to showdown' is quite important. But if it's a high %, how do you know whether this is a fish who calls down too much, or just someone whose really good at hand reading?

Obviously I also take notes during my games and I can sometimes spot fish by looking at shown down hands. But I'm wondering, if I purely had to rely on the HUD stats, what sort of numbers I should be looking for
    Last edited by Sickest Call; 02-13-2011 at 12:01 AM.

VPIP/PFR combo:
    A player with a LOW PFR who raises (combined with a LOW VPIP), is more likely to have a AQ type of hand (flopping top pair), or even an overpair to the board. So you should be able to extract lots of value if you have a set.

HIGH VPIP / HIGH PFR: if this player is involved in the hand, it's difficult to determine if he will pay you off. But his Aggression Factor should help you how you should play your hand. If it's LOW <1.5. You should do all the betting yourself. If it's HIGH >2.5, you should consider to let him do the betting for you.

Went to showdown is important: since if it's HIGH, this player will CHASE any DRAW on the flop. HIGH VPIP + HIGH Went to Showdown is always a fish.

Similarly Aggression Factor can tell you HOW the player handles his draws.
    LOW AGG: he only bets a MADE hand (doesn't bluff), and calls with his draws
    HIGH AGG: he's capable to bet and even raise his draws, he semi-bluffs, bluffs, probe-bets, c-bets, donkbets, etc.

Fold to Flop C-bet / Fold to Turn C-bet: This should help you if you will be able to extract three streets of value from the opponent. If you do all the betting and his Fold to Turn C-bet is LOW, you can make a three-street plan to fully commit him on the river. If it's HIGH. You can check the turn to extract money from him on the river.

Similarly ALL stats above: help you if you should make 3/4 POT, POT (or even OVERBET pot) sized bets, or make smaller 1/2, 2/3 pot sized bets.
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

Thank you for the advice. What classes as a high went to showdown %? I'm not sure how to colour code my HUD.

FULL RING NL100: TIGHT PLAYER: Went to Showdown = 26%

6max:
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

is there a color code chart for fullring nlhe?

Quote Originally Posted by pwnurfaceoff View Post
    is there a color code chart for fullring nlhe?
    the colours would be the same for all the stats except vpip and pfr.
    reduce these numbers by about 25%

Quote Originally Posted by Patvs View Post
    FULL RING NL100: TIGHT PLAYER: Went to Showdown = 26%

6max:
    May i know what does orange ,yellow red stands for?
    thanks.

Red = optimal value = very difficult to exploit
    Orange = near optimal (slightly too tight/loose) = but still difficult to exploit

Yellow = too tight/too loose = easy to exploit = but difficult to make money from (so although a huge leak, not very profitable)

Green = too tight/too loose = easy to exploit = very profitable

ic. thanks