The Cygnus Project: HM Database Study

Default The Cygnus Project: HM Database Study

Greetings all.

Like many of you, I used other software for my poker needs for a long time. I had heard about HM and finally felt I owed it to myself to give it a shot.

I was impressed with HM and took a big leap and converted. I believe HM is better. However, will the community be better? The old community was damn good and was no small part of the value of the product. HM can also have a strong community but it is up to us.

There is one certainty of poker software. If you build it, there will be guys like me who want to understand the database underneath it so they can write their own queries. It's like death and taxes.

The custom reports feature is great. I'm just more comfortable with sql and would rather do my research that way.

I don't see alot of HM table research out here, so I'm going to start my own project. The goal will be to understand every table and column in HM.

I intend to have a thread per table for ease of discussion. Each thread will start with "The Cygnus Project: [Tablename] Table" to make later searching easier.

Cheers,

Cygnus
    Last edited by Cygnus; 11-14-2008 at 12:37 PM.

Don't know if it helps but you can find every stats "formula" here:

http://208.109.95.123/forum/showthread.php?t=3595

Yes I have seen that thread and it's extremely helpful.

Thanks!

Cygnus

I've noticed that many tables have a twin with "_hero" at the end.

It looks like this is the same table, with only hero data in it. Fairly obvious but thought I'd mention it.

Also, hero data does appear to be included in the base table. I'm guessing _hero tables are there to calc hero stats more quickly since there's so much more data to parse through.

Cygnus

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus View Post
    I've noticed that many tables have a twin with "_hero" at the end.

It looks like this is the same table, with only hero data in it. Fairly obvious but thought I'd mention it.

Also, hero data does appear to be included in the base table. I'm guessing _hero tables are there to calc hero stats more quickly since there's so much more data to parse through.

Cygnus
    Exactly - this is a new thing. If you had an older version and upgraded to a recent one you would notice that it goes through an optimization which basically copies all hero data from the main tables into these _hero ones. New inserts into the DB happen on both the main and the _hero when applicable.

Doing this can increase performance by 10-20x on large DB's with mined data when reporting on a hero.

Roy

This project is an excellent idea.

It will be a great reference for anyone who doesn't quite understand the meaning of each table and column (= myself ) in the database.
    I'm looking forward to the results.