Can't connect to PostgreSQL
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Can't connect to PostgreSQL

Hi guys, i know it's a know problem. Everything was fine till today. My hm2 crashed and suddenly i couldnt do anything to run it again.
    Instantly i did read everything i could about this problem. I have tried reinstalling postgresql many times, different versions. Didnt help. Deleting the .pid file also didnt help. I even reinstalled whole hm2. Nothing. I have no idea how to make it working again.
    I have always same info that "i dont have enough privileges in services". Dont know why because i already set it properly and i am an administrator. Need seriously a help.
    What to do?

Thx in advance
    Yazzy

Which Operating System, Firewall, and Anti-Virus are you using?
    Turn off User Account Control: How to Disable and Turn Off UAC in Windows 7 « My Digital Life

Try installing a different version of PostgreSQL to a different port number.
    For example PostgreSQL 9.2 to port 5433 or 8.2 ( http://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/binary...l-8.2.22-1.zip )
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

Hi,
    im using windows 7. Got no antivirus or spyware. UAC i have already disabled. I will try different ports.
    What i find funny is that it still shows my old database even thought i got deleted it. I did net user postgres /delete, unistalled in program manager and also cleaned reg and deleted folders but still can find it and while im reinstalling it gives troubles with normal instalation. Gonna try different port now. I feel free to catch more hints how to solve it and thank you for upcoming help!

So i have tried version 8.2 but the process stopped at running the service in the middle and couldnt make it forward. I checked the different port on this version like you suggested 5433 but still no good. In version 9.2 a non fatal error occured in the end of the process. Also with the suggested port 5433. So the port makes no difference. Still help needed.

Run a manual Windows Update and install all updates, including all .net framework updates and vc++ updates
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

Hello
    I tried updates but also the same. Been looking for an answer on non fatal issue but it doesn't change anything. Is there any other idea? I'm trying to not losing hope. Everytime I'm installing I got an error which doesn't alow me to finish installation and that's why it doesn't work

Right-Click the setup file, go to properties - click unblock.

- Please see these steps to fix postgresql installation issues:

- Please update windows fully. Please keep checking until it shows twice five minutes apart that there are no more updates.

If you have Win7 or 8 (or Vista), consider the following:
    1) PC name must be in English and "in one word" - requires reboot after changing.
    2) The same for Windows user name. If not - create new Win user with EN name and reboot PC for this user when install Postgres. And he must have admin rights. After installation you can kill this new user - his mission is completed.
    3) Secondary logon service must be set to "Autostart".
    This is a standard windows service which is available on every windows computer. In the latest versions it is not started automatically. You need to start it via control panel > administrative tools > services.
    4) UAC = OFF ( How to Disable and Turn Off UAC in Windows 7 « My Digital Life )
    5) Disable firewall and antivirus when installing Postgres and HM. Or uninstall them at all.
    6) All installations must run "as admin" (by right-click on file). And do them as first thing after PC reboot.
    7) If you want to change install path for Postgres (or to set non-default folder for database cluster) - download "standalone" installation file from Download PostgreSQL | EnterpriseDB
    8) If your Windows is not in English - you have to install Postgres not in default folder in Program_Files. Create new (example: c:\postgresql) first and select it when install.
    9) Install Postgres and HM separarelly, one after one. As admin. If HM (when runs for the 1st time) says "no database" - simply create it via DBControlpanel.
    10) If Postgres install fails - after uninstalling don't forget to kill windows user named "postgres":
    Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt > Right-Click > Run As Administrator
    In the window that appears please type the following and press enter:
    net user postgres /del
    exactly as shown. You should get a confirmation if it was successful.
    11) Run all pokerclients "as admin" too.

- Please update your network adapter. Open device manager and find the model #. Search google for the model # drivers to download.

- Please run the windows repair on your winsock:

How to determine and to recover from Winsock2 corruption in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, and in Windows Vista

If you are using Mcafee, Norton, Comodo or AVG for security, they have been causing a lot of issues with postgres lately. We recommend using a different program, such as Microsoft's firewall and Microsoft Security Essential. If you do feel that you need Comodo or AVG, uninstall first, install postgres, then reinstall after it is working. See this guide for Windows Firewall:

http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...ender+Problems

Download from Download PostgreSQL | EnterpriseDB - do not use 9.1 or 9.3.

Right click the setup file, click properties. Click the unblock button at the bottom.

Empty the c:\temp and/or c:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp folders.

If there is still an issue, we need to know the error - it is in the temp folder - bitrockinstaller.txt file.
    Regards udbrky (Chris)

Hi,
    I did all of those steps above and unfortunately it failed again with both version 9.0 and 8.4.
    In both log files i see the same trouble. The installation was fine till 99% and the last step was this:

Script stderr:

Starting the database server...
    Executing cscript //NoLogo "C:\Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL\8.4\installer\server\startserver. vbs" postgresql-8.4
    Script exit code: 0

Script output:
    Starting postgresql-8.4
    Service postgresql-8.4 started successfully
    startserver.vbs ran to completion

Script stderr:

Loading additional SQL modules...
    Executing cscript //NoLogo "C:\Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL\8.4\installer\server\loadmodules. vbs" "postgres" "****" "C:\Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL\8.4" "C:\Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL\8.4\data" 5432 "1"
    Script exit code: 2

Script output:
    Installing pl/pgsql in the template1 databases...
    Executing 'C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Temp\radBB1C5.bat'...
    psql: Server beendete die Verbindung unerwartet
    Das heiát wahrscheinlich, dass der Server abnormal beendete
    bevor oder w„hrend die Anweisung bearbeitet wurde.

Failed to install pl/pgsql in the 'template1' database
    Installing the adminpack module in the postgres database...
    Executing 'C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Temp\radBB1C5.bat'...
    psql: Server beendete die Verbindung unerwartet
    Das heiát wahrscheinlich, dass der Server abnormal beendete
    bevor oder w„hrend die Anweisung bearbeitet wurde.

Failed to install the 'adminpack' module in the 'postgres' database
    loadmodules.vbs ran to completion

Script stderr:
    Program ended with an error exit code

Error running cscript //NoLogo "C:\Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL\8.4\installer\server\loadmodules. vbs" "postgres" "****" "C:\Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL\8.4" "C:\Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL\8.4\data" 5432 "1" : Program ended with an error exit code
    [08:09:31] Write the data directory to the ini file...
    [08:09:31] Write the port number, service ID, locale and superuser to the ini file...
    [08:09:31] Write ServiceID(postgresql-8.4) to registry/ini...
    [08:09:31] Write Superuser to ini file and windows registry...
    [08:09:31] Write Service Account to ini file and windows registry...
    [08:09:31] Write the server description to the ini file...
    [08:09:31] Write the server branding to the ini file...
    [08:09:31] Write the 'whether stack-builder is disabled or not' to the ini file...
    [08:09:31] Finished running post-installation/upgrade tasks.
    [08:09:31] Delete the temporary scripts directory...
    Creating Uninstaller
    Creating uninstaller 25%
    Creating uninstaller 50%
    Creating uninstaller 75%
    Creating uninstaller 100%
    Installation completed
    Log finished 06/07/2013 at 08:09:36

Looks like an admin pack cannot be installed.
    Yazzy

Did you run it as admin?

Did you change the permissions for the folders?

What is your antivirus and firewall? try uninstalling them and reinstalling after HM is installed.

1) Please make sure you are installing on an administrator account and running as an administrator.

2) Please turn off UAC.

3) You'll need to add:
    - hmupdate.exe (only exists during update)
    - holdemmanager.exe
    - hudfuncapps.exe
    - postgres and pg_ctl, your poker client .exe
    - table ninja.exe
    - tablescannerdllloader.exe
    - notecaddy.business.dll and notecaddy.contents.dll from the modules folder in holdemmanager's program files folder (you might have to type in the names in some firewalls, they do not show)

to the exceptions list in your firewall and antivirus. ****

4) Make sure that windows is fully updated. Keep checking for updates until it says twice five minutes apart that there are no more updates available.

5) You need to make sure that this folder*,

8/7/Vista: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\HoldemManager\

XP: C:\Documents and Settings\User_name\Application Data\HoldemManager

as well as c:\postgresql (or c:\programfiles\postgresql), c:\programfiles\holdemmanager2, c:\hm2archive, c:\hmarchive and your site's hand history folder are each not read only** and that all permissions are set to full for your user name. ***

* You will need to show hidden files. See this tutorial for showing system and hidden files:

http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...in+Windows%3F+

See the location here for win 7:

http://www.udbrky.com/hmsupport/configfile.PNG

See the location here for win xp:

http://www.udbrky.com/hmsupport/configfile.PNG

** You will need to right click the folder, open properties. At the bottom in Attributes, uncheck the Read-Only. The folder will continue showing read only after that, this is an issue in Windows

*** This is in Properties as well, in Security.

****Please see this guide for Windows Firewall:

http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...ender+Problems

Please see this FAQ for setting permissions and unchecking read only:

http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...olders+HM2+use
    Regards udbrky (Chris)

Hi
    Yes I did run it as an admin.
    I've the permission to all the folders.
    Currently I don't have any antivirus or firewall.
    The firewall is disabled always.
    I have never had any troubles with
    Hm2 or PostgreSQL. It happened for the 1st time.
    I did uninstall hm2 and tried to start everything step by step with PostgreSQL but it didn't work.
    Within last 2 seconds hm2 crashed and later I found myself in this situation. Everything worked perfectly before.