PFR/VPIP Ratio

Thread: PFR/VPIP Ratio

Default PFR/VPIP Ratio

Does the optimal range for this stat change based on VPIP?

In Step 2, the recommended range for 6max is 72.5 < PFR_VPIP_Ratio < 91.2, but I would like to know if the optimal range changes based on the VPIP. My guess is that the range will be narrower for lower VPIP, and wider for higher VPIP. Is that correct? If so, could you give a few examples of how the optimal range changes as the VPIP changes from a low value of about 19, to a high value of about 28?

No, simply because in general, if you're in the pot, there's a direct relationship between how often you should be raising or limping behind. Of course if your VPIP is 38%, you shouldn't be raising as often, but you're going to be flagged in other areas that will show up as unprofitable if this is the case.

So as long as you're close in the recommended VPIP, this shouldn't be a concern.

In step 4, we are able to mouse over the ranges and see the impact on winrate there is for the various ranges of the stats. When I look at those winrate scores, it seems to indicate that the best value for VPIP is about 27.3, and the best value for PFR is about 17. But if you are playing 27.3/17, then you will have a very bad ratio of 62. So the winrate impact values seem to disagree with eachother.

I was thinking that players with a VPIP of about 21 were probably bigger winners than players with a VPIP of about 27, but when I look at the VPIP information in Leak Buster, it seems to indicate the opposite, that VPIP 27 wins more than VPIP 21. The only thing I can find in Leak Buster that suggests I might be right, that 21 is better than 27, is that resulting bad ratio of 62 that you get if you play 27/17.

So why do the most optimal values of 27/17 give a ratio that is graded so low by Leak Buster? Is it possible that I am correct, and that a VPIP of 21 is better than a VPIP of 27?

It's taking an average of that winrate over a specific range. Within that range, we could create many sub ranges. The point of those ranges is to give you an idea of where you can play the most profitable, and how other players fair on average playing within those sub-ranges. You can see the trend as you go up or down, but it can't, and won't be exact because the sample size needed would be somewhere in the trillion+ hand sample size. So it's normalized, but it cannot be exact.

What you should be able to draw as a conclusion is find a VPIP that fits you comfortably, and then make sure your PFR is within a nice ratio since the VPIP/PFR is more important than matching a specific PFR. That's why LB scores these stats differently, and highlights what is going to impact you the most. I wish it could be exact, but it's just not possible.

So if you want to play a VPIP of 22, find the corresponding PFR that creates a good VPIP/PFR ratio, which would be something like 18(which is also what LB shows).