postgresql.conf - optimizing

Default postgresql.conf - optimizing

I found this:

http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...+Modifications

PostgreSQL

Edit PosgreSQL.conf file in the SQL C:/Program Files/8.x/data folder.
    Do not use the Tuning Wizard. On some systems it will make unecessary changes to the postgresql.conf, resulting in being unable to connect to the database!
    If this problem occurs, go to the 8.4/data folder, delete postgresql.conf. Rename the backup postgresql.conf.2009(data xxxxxxxx) to "postgresql.conf". Now reboot.

Recommended changes:
    shared_buffers = MB (set this to 20% of your system memory, but not more than 1000 MB.... round it off to 128 MB, 256 MB, 512 MB or 768 MB)
    effective_cache_size = MB (set this to 2x the size of the shared_buffers)

My shared_buffers is set to 1024mb. Why does it say not to go higher than 1000? Is this information just outdated? Since I have 16gb of ram, can I set it to 2048?

My effective_cache_size = 1024mb. I guess Ill try changing this to 2048. Should I change shared_buffers to 2048, and set this to 4096?

You can increase the values, but when that FAQ was written, higher values did NOT result in faster (import) speeds.

In fact, sometimes the PostgreSQL server would even stop running if the values were set too high.
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

Yes, I tried shared_buffers = 2048MB and postgres would not start.

What about postgres 9.0 or 9.2? I believe I've read that they're 64-bit and can utilize higher shared_buffers.

Default shared_buffers = 32MB?
    If you increase this to 256MB-->512MB---> 1024MB, etc. the performance increase is minimal.

Best case scenario the import speeds will go up with 15%. (but this is only after you make some changes to the work_mem, wal buffers and temp_buffers which seem to have a higher impact on performance)

All these tweaks are designed for PostgreSQL 8.4, read: http://forums.holdemmanager.com/mana...ease-tips.html tip #7 on the list.

Both HoldemManager and PokerTracker users tried nearly every setting how it would improve performance.
    The PokerTracker thread is an interesting read: https://de.pokertracker.com/forums/v...p?f=15&t=30450

I don't know how effective all these tweaks still are with PostgreSQL 9.2.
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here