3m hands + Note Caddy taking too much space?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 3m hands + Note Caddy taking too much space?

Is this normal, I've imported around 3m hands, and Note Caddy has made notes for half of it only and it has already taken 49.3gb of space. Is that normal?

And when I imported hands, I got some errors and duplicates, does that take up space also? I remember that it does for HM1, but in HM2, I can't seem to find the folder where the errors/duplicates are located.

Former HM Support DogNamedBluff's Avatar

Please try the steps on this FAQ - http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...lyze+Database+

Quote Originally Posted by DogNamedBluff View Post
    Ok since doing this seems to take a lot of time. Before I proceed, can you please answer if it's normal, 3m hands + notecaddy notes = 49gb of space taken? If yes, then there will be no point in doing this right?

Just a friendly tip, you guys should probably make a faq about space consumption of notecaddy since it seem to really take a lot of space so that buyers will not have space problems surprises. And especially since it only works well on an SSD which has very limited storage.

Errors/duplicate hands don't take up database space. Once a hand is detected as duplicated, it's skipped from import, and the import just moves to the next hand.

They also don't take up space in HM1, although in HM1, hands that import as errors are moved to a special file/folder so you can review these hands.

Which folder is 49 GB? Or where does it state the database is using 49 GB?
    In HM2--> Home tab--> Database
    The PostgreSQL folder is 49 GB
    Or in Windows Control Panel--> it states PostgreSQL is taking up 49 GB?

Are you using many custom NoteCaddy definitions?
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

Quote Originally Posted by Patvs View Post
    Errors/duplicate hands don't take up database space. Once a hand is detected as duplicated, it's skipped from import, and the import just moves to the next hand.

They also don't take up space in HM1, although in HM1, hands that import as errors are moved to a special file/folder so you can review these hands.

Which folder is 49 GB? Or where does it state the database is using 49 GB?
    In HM2--> Home tab--> Database
    The PostgreSQL folder is 49 GB
    Or in Windows Control Panel--> it states PostgreSQL is taking up 49 GB?

Are you using many custom NoteCaddy definitions?
    The postgres folder is the on that says 49gb.

Not sure about the notes, didn't play around NC yet. All I did was press RUN NC and it's in the process of importing.

About the errors folder, does that take up space in HM2 also? I remember in HM1 I had an errors folder of like 1gb.

Quote Originally Posted by zeneil View Post
    The postgres folder is the on that says 49gb.

Not sure about the notes, didn't play around NC yet. All I did was press RUN NC and it's in the process of importing.

About the errors folder, does that take up space in HM2 also? I remember in HM1 I had an errors folder of like 1gb.
    i have the same problem
    I imported 3kk hand and havent free space on my disc, my postgreSQL is about 37GB.. whats wrong?

No direction but to trust the final destination

Please follow the instructions in dog named bluff's post http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...lyze+Database+

It is normal for big databases but that will shrink it. That's just how postgres works. Most people don't play 3 million hands so this is a relatively rare issue
    NoteCaddy Manual | Coaching Packs | Blog
    NoteCaddy experts: a.k.aAlso, Catalyst_Kh, Derders, karstenkloss, scoobediah (NoteCaddy Edge)

i have already done it and i saved 1GB from 24GB of folder postgreSQL.... :/

Quote Originally Posted by Chmielu89 View Post
    i have already done it and i saved 1GB from 24GB of folder postgreSQL.... :/
    Do you also have HM1 and PT3/4 databases? Are you using NCE/NCA/NCP addon pack with a lot of definitions?

In HM1 there are a lot of tables that deal with a specific hand played by a specific player. In HM2 we don't have these tables, instead, for player related hand data, we use a flat file approach. Each player has his own folder and each file represents a single day. Each line within the file is a tokenized version of a single hand with incredible amounts of detail. Your overall HM2 spaced used (DB + Files) is about 2/3 of HM1 and we store probably 2-3 times as much info plus it can be accessed many, many times faster and allows us to do some things that wouldn't be possible otherwise, many of which are yet to come. If you don't want the space in your Roaming folder due to C: file space or something like that, we do give you the option of storing this data anywhere

General rule is 1 million hands = 10 GB so 3kk for 34gb is possible, especially if you have databases in other trackers.

In reality from our testing it's: 1 million hands
    HM1: 6.8 GB
    HM2: 4.3 GB
    PT4: 13.6 GB

So with a 10 million hand database you need as SSD of at least 60 GB (Windows) + 100 GB = 160 GB.
    We use 1 million = 10 GB (instead of 6.8) because when you want to perform a vacuum/analyse or backup/restore a database it will require a LOT of disk space to perform such a task.

i deleted hm1 database
    what is nca/nce/ncp?